1983 Holmes V. 1919 Jack Dempsey

Who prevails? Larry with his jab and toughness? Or Jack with his mean left hook and aggression?

Remember; this is the whirlwind of Dempsey that destroyed Willard, and the cautious and patient Larry who defeated Marvis Frazier and others.

Re: 1983 Holmes V. 1919 Jack Dempsey

Westmoreland
Holmes easy. Dempsey was too predictable and Larry would play defense and frustrate him. Jack had some good bobbing and weaving but he wouldn't get past Larry's jab too often. Larry by late KO when Jack is tired and frustrated.

Re: 1983 Holmes V. 1919 Jack Dempsey

Entaowed
I agree.  Dempsey is also overrated.

I call him a "minor great".  He was huge culturally, but given his flaws, the way he sat on his title, the great black fighters he missed (especially Willis), even the smaller Greb (who did better against common opponents),  how extremely inactive & out of shape an old Willard was, how Tunney thoroughly outboxed him in two fights when Dempsey was not old or worn out from a tough schedule...

And that he was buiilt more like a modern middleweight though relied on his power...
He is overrated.

Re: 1983 Holmes V. 1919 Jack Dempsey

Big Red
Entaowed wrote
I agree.  Dempsey is also overrated.

I call him a "minor great".  He was huge culturally, but given his flaws, the way he sat on his title, the great black fighters he missed (especially Willis), even the smaller Greb (who did better against common opponents),  how extremely inactive & out of shape an old Willard was, how Tunney thoroughly outboxed him in two fights when Dempsey was not old or worn out from a tough schedule...

And that he was buiilt more like a modern middleweight though relied on his power...
He is overrated.
You're mainly criticizing him for his bad decisions outside of the ring like dodging black fighters and sitting on the title. I don't disagree with these facts but he was a fierce attacker and exciting to watch. Gene Tunney beat him because he was inactive for years before that and you could argue that Gene may beat him previously anyway. He took out time to study Jack. Jack ain't overrated. He just made some bad calls. All of the heavyweight greats do.

If at their peaks Larry decisions Jack. What would be interesting to me is seeing young Jack fight the older Larry that got beat up by Mike Tyson. Jack has a chance there.

Re: 1983 Holmes V. 1919 Jack Dempsey

George Jefferson
Big Red wrote
If at their peaks Larry decisions Jack. What would be interesting to me is seeing young Jack fight the older Larry that got beat up by Mike Tyson. Jack has a chance there.
Young Jack wasn't as good as peak Tyson. Tyson's combinations and defenses were much better and he edged Dempsey in speed and power. Dempsey would be like a small Tyson imitator. Holmes may have been aging and flabby but he had enough experience to tame a young and reckless Dempsey.