1991 -Tyson, Lewis, Bowe , Foreman, Holmes and Holyfield

1991 -Tyson, Lewis, Bowe , Foreman, Holmes and Holyfield

Evan Fields
1991 was a good year for all of these guys, but who was the absolute BEST that year?

Re: 1991 -Tyson, Lewis, Bowe , Foreman, Holmes and Holyfield

According to Ring Magazine, these were the rankings that year.

1) Evander Holyfield
2)Mike Tyson
3)Riddick Bowe
4)Razor Ruddock
5)Ray Mercer
6)George Foreman
7)Tim Witherspoon
8)Tony Tucker
9)Lennox Lewis
10)Michael Moorer

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/The_Ring_Magazine%27s_Annual_Ratings:_1991

No one looked 'dominant' at the time. Evander was champion but he struggled with Foreman and had a scare against Bert Cooper. Tyson had two wars with Ruddock. There's not much else to note from that year.

Even though he's ranked #3, I say Bowe was the best fighter head to head that year possibly. Possibly. He was better than Lewis at that time, but lacked the confidence to beat him. So let's say Lewis dominates Bowe the way he did in the Olympics - I don't think this lanky version of Lewis was ready for Tyson at this time. There's so many ways this thing could go, so I hesitate to pick a head to head favorite.

Re: 1991 -Tyson, Lewis, Bowe , Foreman, Holmes and Holyfield

Zorro
1991 was a long time ago. But I don't recall Riddick Bowe becoming HUGE until he won the title from Evander Holyfield. In 1991 Mike Tyson was still considered the best. Evander holding the title didn't mean much to people as they expected Tyson to be more focused after the Douglas loss and that he'd crush him.

Re: 1991 -Tyson, Lewis, Bowe , Foreman, Holmes and Holyfield

According to Ring Magazine, these were the rankings that year.

1) Evander Holyfield
2)Mike Tyson
3)Riddick Bowe
4)Razor Ruddock
5)Ray Mercer
6)George Foreman
7)Tim Witherspoon
8)Tony Tucker
9)Lennox Lewis
10)Michael Moorer
I mean, Tyson already beat Tucker, Ruddock and Witherspoon. Michael Moorer and Mercer were still novices, and Moorer was barely a legit heavyweight anyway.

Who does that leave? Lennox would be too over anxious and leave openings and get kayod by Tyson. Evander may or may not have a chance. If he beat Cooper you could certainly argue he would beat Tyson too. Could go either way.  Bowe is the only ranked heavyweight that year that I see whooping Tyson, although Tyson would more than get his licks in too

Re: 1991 -Tyson, Lewis, Bowe , Foreman, Holmes and Holyfield

The excitment of the 90s Champion...

https://youtu.be/XYtdz2IZs9U

The opportunity is there for Bowe until he destroyed his own path.

After beating Holyfield, he may go further.

Eddie Futch also gives up on him...

Re: 1991 -Tyson, Lewis, Bowe , Foreman, Holmes and Holyfield

Hit Em' Hard
I think if a tournament was held that year, Tyson would have the most wins and Foreman the most losses.

Re: 1991 -Tyson, Lewis, Bowe , Foreman, Holmes and Holyfield

The Golden Jet
Hit Em' Hard wrote
I think if a tournament was held that year, Tyson would have the most wins and Foreman the most losses.
I hesitate to pick a real winner but I think Lewis, Bowe and Tyson would pick up the most wins and Moorer and Foreman would rack up the most losses.

Re: 1991 -Tyson, Lewis, Bowe , Foreman, Holmes and Holyfield

Evolution
'91 was more of a transitional year.