49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

I got inspired to start this one from a thread on Eastside Boxing. Ezzard Charles pushed Rocky Marciano to the limit in their two epic fights. In fact, he was one of the few people who came close to beating him.

Some say that Ezzard was not in his prime as a heavyweight, but that's B.S. Ezzard was only two years older than Rocky--he was 33 years old when he fought him both times. I agree that Ezzard was a better light heavyweight though.

So, if Ezzard had been a few years younger when he fought Rocky, how does it go? Personally, I think The Rock would always find a way to beat him. Age or weight class has nothing to do with it. With his frightening power and non-stop attack, Rocky would always beat him, although not without a struggle.

Remember also that Ezzard Charles did this to Rocky's nose in the rematch.

Photobucket
Who wins and how?

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Malik Wright
Yea...Rocky did fuck up homie's nose. I think Rocky was always too strong and tough for Ezzard Charles. His slick counterpunching style worked against a lot of people but it'd never work against Rocky who keeps coming and coming and punching and punching.

But tell me this, was Rocky's nose worse than Michael Jackson's?

Photobucket

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Zorro
Like many light heavyweights, Ezzard could not adapt to the power of a real heavyweight.

But remember when Ezzard killed a man early in his career? He became more of a slickster after that, preferring to only counter opponents instead of going on the offensive. Who knows what would have happened if the younger more aggressive Ezzard had met Marciano instead?

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

 Who knows what would have happened if the younger more aggressive Ezzard had met Marciano instead?
He'd have gotten knocked out quicker. You don't try to slug it out with Rocky Marciano, especially if you have a light heavyweight frame.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Shane
Ezzard had a style that would always trouble Rocky. Though Rocky did prevail over Ezzard twice, I think if they'd fought 5 times Ezzard might win once or twice.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Urban Legend
Chico Fontaine wrote
Not sure about that Chico. Ezzard failed to beat the Rock on two occasions. Rocky always beats him. Too strong.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Chico Fontaine wrote
Ezzard had a style that would always trouble Rocky. Though Rocky did prevail over Ezzard twice, I think if they'd fought 5 times Ezzard might win once or twice.
I agree. If they fought a series of fights Rocky would win most of them but loses at least once because Ezzard Charles knew how to deal with swarmers. Rocky used to cut the ring and beat you up as he pinned you against the ropes. Ezzard's back never once touch the ropes in their first fight. He kept Rocky in the center of the ring where he could defend himself better.

You guys got me hooked on boxrec. lol. Here is the article about their first fight.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Kevin_McBride_vs._Mike_Tyson

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Malik Wright wrote
Yea...Rocky did fuck up homie's nose. I think Rocky was always too strong and tough for Ezzard Charles. His slick counterpunching style worked against a lot of people but it'd never work against Rocky who keeps coming and coming and punching and punching.

But tell me this, was Rocky's nose worse than Michael Jackson's?

Photobucket
Malik.......lol.

Both fights were classics. Ezzard never let Rocky pin him down. Rocky won the fight because he threw (and landed) more punches.  Because of their styles, I say Rocky always wins but Ezzard was tough himself and had just as much heart as Rocky did. Ezzard knew how to sidestep and counter. He was a slickster..reminds me of a smaller Evander Holyfield in a lot of ways.

Put it this way. If they fought a three rounder, Ezzard may impress the judges enough to win. But since they went to distance, Rocky would take charge.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

the boston strong boy
rocky would take a beating but wear charles down most likely knocking him out in the late rounds or winning by pts but it would be a bigger war than the older charles only chance charles has is if he can halt marciano by cuts which he almost did in their rematch

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Would you say the Ezzard Charles wars were Rocky's toughest fights? I believe Rocky said that his first fight with Walcott was his toughest fight but the Ezzard Charles fights would have to follow up. They beat the hell out of each other.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Friday The 13th...

First we have to examine the fights they did have. Admittedly, Charles' career was slightly on the slide at this point, but he was far from being a shot fighter. Further, many observers considered his performance in the first Marciano fight to have been the best of his entire career, or close to it- for example, Wilfrid Smith wrote that "Charles unquestionably offered the greatest fight of his long career" against Marciano, and W.J. McGoogan of the St. Louis Dispatch wrote that Charles fought a "wonderful fight, possibly the best in his career of about seventeen years".

And while there is a lot of dramatization of the Charles/Marciano fights in the lore of boxing (much of it deserved, but it sometimes gives the wrong impression), the fact is that ultimately, Marciano soundly outpointed Charles in their first fight and dominantly knocked him out (NOTE: the nose cut was a freak-of-nature occurence and consitutes nothing more than a stroke of incredibly bad luck for Marciano, and he still won nearly every round and knocked Charles out) in the rematch.

So Rocky always prevails over Ezzard but not without a fight.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Bert Sugar
Zombies Ate Me wrote

You guys got me hooked on boxrec. lol. Here is the article about their first fight.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Kevin_McBride_vs._Mike_Tyson
That's the article about Mcbride and Tyson. These are the links to the Marciano/Charles wars.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Rocky_Marciano_vs._Ezzard_Charles_(1st_meeting)

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Rocky_Marciano_vs._Ezzard_Charles_(2nd_meeting)

If they fought in 1949 how would Ezzard Charles be different? He'd have been a few years younger but it wouldn't change the outcome of the fight. Ezzard Charles was a great light heavyweight but light heavyweights don't always transition into becoming great heavyweights.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Diddly Doodily wrote
[...]

 Well said my friend. Rocky dominated both fights but Ezzard kept him on his toes. Rocky outpointed him the first go' round and was only losing in the rematch because of the cut. Did you know that in his next fight Don Cockell went after Rocky's nose thinking it wasn't healed properly?

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Friday The 13th... wrote
[...]

Charles was just great in this fight. Crafty and technical enough, and he used all his experience to nullify Marciano for a great period. He really rendered his left hook pretty useless throughout, and he catches Marciano with a lot of good rights in the 4th round. One of the punches is very similar to the when Moore lands to drop Marciano. Charles knew this was his last chance... and he put it all on the line. Some writers at the time claimed it was his finest hour. Most of all his courageous, and took a stand.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Left Hook From Hell...
Wow....No One here picked a younger Ezzard Charles to beat Rocky? I watched both fights this afternoon on youtube. In the first fight Ezzard took a beating after the 6th round but stayed on his feet and fought back. He was dominating Rocky in the rematch until the 8th round stoppage. Bert Sugar was saying that Ezzard had the style to beat Rocky. Maybe. Joe Walcott was beating Rocky easy and comfortably ahead on the scorecards before getting abruptly KO'd in the 13th. I say Walcott gave Rocky his toughest fight.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Alexander

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Westmoreland
I would say the first fight was about an 8.5, and the rematch maybe a 7.5. My reasoning: although Charles was a little on the downside of his career at the time of their first fight, he was, by all accounts, hyper-motivated and trained and fought with an intensity and hunger he had never shown before- he fought 15 straight rounds without once having to be separated from a clinch and put on a virtually inhuman display of determination and stamina, causing many observers to proclaim it one of the greatest, if not the greatest performance of Charles' career. But as tough, as tenacious, as tremendously resilient and tireless as Charles was that night, Marciano was moreso, even on a whole nother level. Watch him go like a buzzsaw in the 15th round and throw over 90 punches, and try to honestly tell me he wasn't the best-conditioned, most determined and most relentless champion in the history of the heavyweight division.
The rematch I grade a little lower, even though Marciano was much more dominant(he won nearly every round and was only in jeopardy because of a freak-of-nature one-in-a-million injury which was likely the result of an elbow), because Charles just wasn't the same man anymore after that first fight.

But I would rank the first Walcott fight on par with or slightly ahead of the first Charles fight, and the Moore fight probably as high as the second Charles fight.

Re: 49' Ezzard Charles v. Prime Rocky Marciano

Entaowed
Hmm, very good analyses.

SO you think it is a case that while he was not quite at his best physically, Charles put up such an effort that he likely could not have done more against Rocky even in '49?