A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

1234 ... 7

A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

KB50MJ
I was reading some threads on bodybuilding.com and I came across these two threads:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136454611&page=1&highlight=Mike+Tyson

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6623911&highlight=Mike+Tyson

It surprised me because most on there think that a prime mike tyson would beat Wlad but but at the same time they also think that vitali would DESTROY a prime tyson. mainly because of vitali's long reach, and his iron jaw. Plus his ability to do well against fighters with shorter reach.

I found this pretty interesting. What do you guys think?

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

Good thread.

Wladimir would be wide open for swarmers like Tyson or Frazier. Wladmir jabs and backs up--it's all he does. Someone like Tyson or Frazier would slip that jab, cut the ring, and destroy him with counters to the body and head. Plus Wladimir has an average chin. He's been knocked out by guys who don't punch as well as Tyson or Frazier.

As for Vitali, I think Tyson would probably get a decision win. In his prime, Tyson struggled with tall fighters like Tony Tucker, Mitch Green and Bonecrusher Smith. Vitali is so much better than those guys. He also has a great chin. He hasn't been put on the canvas yet, and he took some bombs from Lennox Lewis. Tyson would beat Vitali by TKO on cuts the way Lewis did, or he'd get a decision win. I don't think Vitali could handle Tyson's bone-crushing body punches either. With Tyson's punching accuracy, I think he'd open a bad cut or two on Vitali and the fight would get stopped.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

I laughed out loud at those threads. One guy said that Tyson had a glass jaw. Umm....no. Every time Tyson was knocked out, it was after he took a beating for a lengthy number of rounds. He ate some big bombs when he faced Lennox.

Photobucket

But back to the original poster's question. Mike Tyson would knock out the Klitschkos. Vitali has an iron chin, but like Muhammad Ali, he never fought a slugger who threw combinations like Joe Louis or Mike Tyson. Vitali is good at shaking off one big punch, but has never been hit with big shots all at once. Mike Tyson would accomplish this.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

The Klitschkos are not all-time great fighters, but the only reason why they have a hold on the division right now is because they keep themselves in great shape. They have the stamina to go 12 rounds. As big men, they have more skill than Willard and Carnera, but not as much as Lewis. With Emmanuel Steward as their trainer, they've both come a long way.

Boxers do not fight smart these days. No one works the body, no one puts together combinations, no one knows how to feint, etc. Wladimir can be knocked out if you pressure him constantly and cut off the ring. Vitali is a bit better than Wlad, but can be cut or outworked. I have no doubt in my mind that a prime Joe Frazier or Jack Dempsey would absolutely shatter the Klitschko brothers. So would Tyson. Too much speed and too much power.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

KB50MJ
Interesting stuff. I see your point. The klitshkos are good, but they've never had to deal with the likes of Frazier or Tyson. It would be interesting to see a heavyweight with the combinations, speed, power, and accuracy to take on the klitshkos.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

I'm no fan of Mike Tyson. He looked exciting against a bunch of bums in the 80s. He also had serious problems with taller men like Mitch Green, James "Quick" Tillis and Tony Tucker during his "prime." The Klitschkos are better than those tomato cans. Mike probably has a puncher's chance against Wlad, but would probably get outboxed. Once Mike Tyson feels that hard right hand of Vitali Klitschko, he'd quit and give up...

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

^^You really hate Mike Tyson, don't you? lol.

Peak Tyson destroys both Klitshkos. It sounds like you're referring to the late 90s version of Mike Tyson, who lost confidence if he failed to score an early knockout and ran out of gas as the rounds progressed. We have to think of Tyson at his best, because after 1988, he was not the same fighter. By 1999, he was terrible.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

Urban Legend
Mike would knock out Wlad. Vitali would cause more problems for Mike, but Mike would win by TKO on cuts. it says a lot when old, faded Lennox Lewis won against a prime Vitali Klitschko. The brothers are not that good.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

It sounds like Bert Sugar has been reading my forum. lol. He talks about Tyson, the Klitshksos, MMA, Bernard Hopkins and Lennox Lewis. He said that Tyson would have had trouble with Lewis if they fought 15 years earlier because Tyson had issues with bigger men and couldn't fight on the inside. This is short but interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxx60wk_JWU&feature=player_embedded#!

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

It sounds like Bert Sugar has been reading my forum. lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxx60wk_JWU&feature=player_embedded#!
For once Bert Sugar makes a little sense. The Klitschkos are b-o-r-i-n-g. Can you imagine what the heavyweight divison will be like when they retire? They're boring but at least they win their fights.

I actually think the Klitschkos would step up their pace against Tyson. He would force them to fight. Anyway, I see Mike Tyson having a war with Vitali the way he did with Razor Ruddock. (It wasn't "peak" Tyosn that beat Razor, but u get my drift). Vitali has the chin to take Tyson's punches. Tyson would win on points or late knockout possibly. Wladimir has a sneaky right hand and an offensive left hook, but he's getting knocked out by Tyson.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

Here is a rare video of Tyson and Vitali. There is a massive size difference. He makes Tyson look like Gary Coleman!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c4fGy3EqB8&feature=player_embedded

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

Zorro
I predict it would take Mike a while to cut down Vitali. Wladimir could go as early as round 1.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

Rosco
We were talking about Ruslan Chagaev in the "peek-a-boo" thread. They call him "White Tyson" because he used the peekaboo stance. He gave Wladimir a good fight but he's not as good as Tyson of course. Watch the fight. He kept Wlad on his toes the whole time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDr3huo26c

If he did this well against Wlad, Tyson would kill him in 30 seconds.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

Rosco wrote
We were talking about Ruslan Chagaev in the "peek-a-boo" thread. They call him "White Tyson" because he used the peekaboo stance. He gave Wladimir a good fight but he's not as good as Tyson of course. Watch the fight. He kept Wlad on his toes the whole time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDr3huo26c

If he did this well against Wlad, Tyson would kill him in 30 seconds.
Yeah. Ruslan isn't in Tyson's league but he's good at forcing you backward and scaring you into mistakes the way young Tyson was. Ruslan made Wlad uncomfortable all night because he kept moving forward and stayed in his face.

I don't see Tyson knocking out Vitali but he could win on cuts like I said earlier. TKO before the 5th probably. Wlad backpedals which works to Tyson's advantage.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

Redemption wrote
 Can you imagine what the heavyweight divison will be like when they retire?
Please don't say things like that. The heavyweight division is crap even with the Klitschkos leading it. When they retire, I don't wanna think about how pathetic heavyweight boxing will look. I think it'll be like a boring version of the mid-90s, with the titles being passed around like a basketball and no one dominating.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

Hit Em' Hard
Tyson was trained by Cus D'amato who taught him how to fight anyone.
Tyson would need about 10 seconds to figure out that Vitali leaned back. He would go to the body and then KO Vitali.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

It sounds like Bert Sugar has been reading my forum. lol. He talks about Tyson, the Klitshksos, MMA, Bernard Hopkins and Lennox Lewis. He said that Tyson would have had trouble with Lewis if they fought 15 years earlier because Tyson had issues with bigger men and couldn't fight on the inside. This is short but interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxx60wk_JWU&feature=player_embedded#!
Bert knew his shit. Mike had problems with big men and the Klitschkos would be the biggest men he'd ever fought.

Mike was not good at letting his hands go when somebody was clinching him. That was Buster's strategy, it seems to me. keep Mike all the way in or all the way out. This also happens to be Wladimir's basic fight style. It stands to reason that Wladimir should be favored in this match up, because Tyson didn't have the power to KO any of the decent super heavyweights that he fought ( unless you count the controversial TKO over Ruddock the first time).

To say Mike has the perfect style to KO Wladimir easily is really a stretch,imo. If that were true, he should have demolished Bonecrusher Smith, Toney Tucker, Mitch Green, Buster Douglas and Razor Ruddock. These are all bigger heavyweights with a long reach and a decent jab. Mike couldnt KO even one of them. Could we agree that Wladimir is bigger, harder punching, more experienced and has a better resume than any of these guys? Wouldnt beating Wladimir Klitschko be the biggest, most impressive win of Mikes career? For me, Im most impressed with Tysons wins over Tucker(UD 12) and Bruno(TKO 5). I would think that Wlad would be a solid favorite over either of those guys.

So, basically, it seems to me that Wladimir Klitschko has the perfect style and size to beat Tyson, not the other way around.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

^^I disagree because while Tyson did have problems with tall guys sometimes, it's been proven that Wlad is frustrated by the peek-a-boo style. We saw that in his fight with Ruslan. Wlad won the fight but was uncomfortable doing so.

Wlad has a terrible chin as well. Tyson would KO him instantly when he lands flush. Mike was always in position to punch. Manny Steward taught Wlad excellent ways to keep his chin from getting exposed but Tyson knew how to set you up. Remember how he backed up Marvis Frazier with the jab and then blindsided him with the massive uppercut that stopped him? Marvis stepped right into the punch. Tyson was too much of a technician not to land that one big shot on Wlad.

Re: A Prime Mike Tyson against the Klitshkos

^^I disagree because while Tyson did have problems with tall guys sometimes, it's been proven that Wlad is frustrated by the peek-a-boo style. We saw that in his fight with Ruslan. Wlad won the fight but was uncomfortable doing so.

Wlad has a terrible chin as well. Tyson would KO him instantly when he lands flush. Mike was always in position to punch. Manny Steward taught Wlad excellent ways to keep his chin from getting exposed but Tyson knew how to set you up. Remember how he backed up Marvis Frazier with the jab and then blindsided him with the massive uppercut that stopped him? Marvis stepped right into the punch. Tyson was too much of a technician not to land that one big shot on Wlad.
Great points.
1234 ... 7