Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

It's a fight that should have been so much better than it turned out. Do you think Lewis was just too good and exposed Tua of being too limited, or do you think Tua simply didn't do enough? Thoughts...

They look like Kid N Play in this pic, don't they? LOL.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

Maximillian
David wasn't that good. Lennox fought a spectaular fight that night. This fight should help prove to people that Lewis had a good chin. Not most people survive the left hook of David Tua, but Lennox sure did. He took Tua's body punches well, too. Lewis put on one of his best performances here. He jabbed the siht out of Tua and reduced him to a sparring partner.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

David should have put in more work. Lennox kept the fight at long range and threw some big punches when David tried to leap inside. Lennox was good enough of a fighter to trade with David inside, but why should he? He had a suspect chin and fighting in close quarters would give David an advantage because he was quicker and stronger inside. Lennox is a much better boxer than David Tua, but this is a fight Tua should have won based on their styles. He dropped the ball that night.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

GatorPurify
Lennox was at the top of his game during his fight, no doubt. But had Tua went to the body and stayed on Lennox he could of won. He could of definitely made a god run. But he came in like a lazy bull and was trying to land a Houdini left hook.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

David underrated Lennox and figured he could score a massive KO with one left hook. If he'd applied himself, he could have done it. After all, Rahman destroyed Lennox with one punch only a few months later.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

Maximillian
Look, sucka. Lennox Lewis did not have a dodgey chin. If he could take vicious shots from Ray Mercer, I'm confident that he could do the same against David Tua. Even if David had stepped up his game, he would have been outclassed in slugfest phonebooth fight against Lennox just like Ray Mercer was. David had not fought anyone with the height, skills and reach of someone like Lennox Lewis. He was knocking out a bunch of tomato cans, but when he fought big men with skills like Ike Ibeabuchi and Lennox Lewis, his punk ass got schooled. (Lennox is much better than Ike, btw).

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

Evan Fields
I remember this fight and I predicted that Lennox would win because he was in his prime and wiping out everyone. David was looking stellar against nobodies, and had never fought someone like Lennox before. David shut down early in the fight when he felt Lennox's power. He was afraid of that big right hand.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

I may watch this fight and write a blog today, since it is the 11 year anniversary.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

The Gr8 One wrote
 David shut down early in the fight when he felt Lennox's power. He was afraid of that big right hand.
See bruh. That's what proves that David Tua is a sucka. He and Mike Tyson got discouraged or frustrated when their opponents turned up the volume. Great fighters find a way to win. I'm no real big fan of Rocky Marciano but it's admirable the way he always found a way to win when in danger. I can't say the same thing about David Tua or Mike Tyson.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

The Greatest wrote
Add Sonny Liston to that list, alongside Tua and Tyson.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

The Greatest wrote
Great fighters find a way to win. I'm no real big fan of Rocky Marciano but it's admirable the way he always found a way to win when in danger.
Glad to see you finally give the man some credit.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

11 years ago, huh? Lennox could handle pressure well. I say that because of the Ray Mercer fight, so if David had been more active, he would have gotten hurt worse. Lennox had this one sewn up from the start, really.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

Ya know, I still haven't given my opinion of this fight yet!! lol.

Tua could have won this fight but was afraid of getting hurt by Lewis' right hand. He came out aggressive early on but once he got struck with that right hand, he became a hesitant and tentative fighter.

After 1997, Tua became a "one trick pony" by ending most of his fights early with his vaunted left hook. He abandoned body attacks, uppercuts and combination punching. His only strategy was to smash you with a thunderous left hook. That was his strategy against Lennox Lewis. Tsk Tsk Tsk..

Lewis had all the skill in the world, but Tua just didn't do enough. Lewis spent the whole fight holding his right hand up to his cheek to parry Tua's left hook. If Tua had been working the body, then Lewis would start dropping his hand, leaving him open for a big left hook upstairs. That would have been one good strategy for the Tuaman. Jerry Quarry was holding his right hand high against Joe Frazier in their 1966 fight, and when Frazier began hurting Quarry with body punches, then Frazier was able to land those monster hooks to the head.

Tua should have also thrown combinations to set up a big left hook. When you throw punches in bunches, your opponents will not see all of them coming. Mike Tyson was not a knockout artist just because of his speed and power, but because he threw effective combinations. David Tua was a left hooker like Joe Frazier, but Frazier knew how to set up his devastating left hook attacks. Tua tried to lunge dive at Lewis with big left hooks that often got deflected. It was his only strategy. He just ate the long Lewis jab all night and plodded forward looking to end things with a miracle left hook.

Tua just didn't do enough. There were times in the fight where he had Lewis cornered against the ropes, but did nothing, allowing Lewis to swivel out of harm's way. Tua made the same mistakes against Chris Bryd a year later. He had no idea how to cut off the ring, and even when he had Lewis cornered, he threw nothing.

This fight was the very beginning of a long decade of letdowns by David Tua. Regardless, he's still my favorite boxer. The David Tua of 1992-1997 would have likely knocked out Lennox Lewis because he constantly threw punches and forced the action. By 2000, Tua was mentally over the hill.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

Tua just didn't do enough. There were times in the fight where he had Lewis cornered against the ropes, but did nothing, allowing Lewis to swivel out of harm's way. Tua made the same mistakes against Chris Bryd a year later. He had no idea how to cut off the ring, and even when he had Lewis cornered, he threw nothing.
Pathetic. No killer instinct whatsover.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

This is the best punch Tua landed on Lewis in the entire fight.

This happened shortly before the bell rang to end the second round, but notice how Tua didn't even attempt to rush Lewis and finish him. He just let him stagger into the ropes. When your opponent is hurt, you FINISH HIM!!!

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

Evolution
I fought Lennox Lewis as an amatuer and I sparred with David Tua and Lennox on many occassions. David told me that Lennox hurt him with that right hand early on. I can relate. Lennox really cowed with me with a right hand in the second round when I fought him. When you get hit like that, it does something to you. Lennox took my confidence away with that right hand and a big uppercut. After that, I forgot to punch!! He has such a long jab and can hit you from a long distance. You feel hopeless in the ring with him and that's what happened to David. David charged Lennox early on and then got hit with that right, and was afraid after that. The same thing happened to Mike Tyson when he fought Lennox. After that uppercut Tyson didn't want to charge into Lennox anymore. I remember in one of my sparring sessions with Lennox he closed my eye with his jab really early into the first round. I couldn't see his punches coming after that. He beat my ass.

David Tua has a big punch but is limited and predictable. I hate to say this about David because you couldn't meet a nicer guy in boxing. It feels bad to critique him but I know you want the truth.Lennox Lewis is just too good for a limited one punch slugger like David Tua.  Having shared the ring with both guys, I have to say that the right man won.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

^^Evolution, you fought both guys. You've been hit by Tua's left hook and you've landed punches on Lennox Lewis. What do you think of Lewis' chin? Many people agree that he has a glass jaw. Do you think Tua's left hook would have knocked him out if he'd thrown it more or set it up properly?

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

Shane
^^I too await Evolution's opinion on the glass jaw of Lennox. I'm torn because Lennox withstood some terrible blows from a heavy handed slugger like Ray Mercer. You could argue that Ray is more dangerous than Tua because he used both hands.

Then again, there is this.

Duggerman wrote
This is the best punch Tua landed on Lewis in the entire fight.

As AJ said, this was the best punch Tua landed and he didn't even land it completely. It grazed Lennox right on the nose and drove him into the ropes. I shutter to think what would have happened if David landed the entire punch flush with full impact and power behind it.

Re: Almost 11 years since Lennox Lewis Defended The Undisputed Championship Against David Tua

^^Evolution, you fought both guys. You've been hit by Tua's left hook and you've landed punches on Lennox Lewis. What do you think of Lewis' chin? Many people agree that he has a glass jaw. Do you think Tua's left hook would have knocked him out if he'd thrown it more or set it up properly?
That is a good question, and one that I've never been asked before. No wonder you're a reporter!

I don't ever recall even shaking Lennox Lewis. He easily got the best of me each time we were in the squared circle. He's only an inch or so taller than me but his arms are so freaking long that he can hit you from seemingly six feet away. It's hard to avoid that jab. If you try to duck and get close, then you're getting cracked with that uppercut. Every punch from Lennox hurt like hell, and the few punches I did land on him had no effect on him whatsoever. If I tried slugging with him, boxing with him, outjabbing him, whatever. He had an answer for everything. He's super skilled.

I don't think Lennox's chin is as bad as people perceive it to be. He didn't have the chin of Muhammad Ali or George Chuvalo but from what I've seen, he can only be hurt if taken by absolute surprise. The right hand Hasim Rahman threw would have destroyed many former heavyweight champions, not just Lennox Lewis. It was a once in a lifetime punch and it just so happened to land square on the jaw of Lennox as he bounced off the ropes.

As for Tua's left hook, it is one of the hardest punches I've been hit with, but it never dropped me. I think a world class heavyweight champion like Lennox Lewis could withstand it, and he did.

[...]

Thanks for that breakdown. The irony to me is that in Lewis' very next fight, he was shattered by Hasim Rahman with one punch. Why in the heck couldn't David Tua do that?
1234