Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Angelo Dundee, the brilliant motivator who worked the corner for Muhammad Ali in his greatest fights and willed Sugar Ray Leonard to victory in his biggest bout, died Wednesday in Tampa, Fla.

He was 90.

The genial Dundee was best known for being in Ali's corner for almost his entire career, but those in boxing also knew him as an ambassador for boxing and a figure of integrity in a sport that often lacked it.

He died with his family surrounding him, said son, Jimmy Dundee, but not before being able to attend Ali's 70th birthday bash in Louisville, Ky., last month.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/angelo-dundee-dead-90-15494635

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Zorro
This hurts. This is a big loss for boxing. Damn. RIP.

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Big Red
Greatest trainer ever and he seemed to be a nice man.

RIP to the greatest trainer of all time.

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Shane
Rest in peace. Terrible loss for boxing.

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

GatorPurify
Here's a short piece ESPN did on Angelo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMSiaSXN8Cc

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Thank you, Gator. I loved the Florida Evans clip. Sums up how I reacted when I heard the sad news.

The last clip you posted was a nice memorial. Dundee was always accused of cheating but trained a lot of fighters like Jimmy Ellis, Sugar Ray Leonard and he trained George Foreman when he won the title ago. I remember Foreman saying that he never wanted Dundee across the ring from him again. lol.

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Computer Blue wrote
Greatest trainer ever and he seemed to be a nice man.

RIP to the greatest trainer of all time.
These are sad times for boxing. In just a few months we lost George Benton, Ron Lyle, Joe Frazier and now Angelo Dundee.

Computer Blue, I have to be honest. Angelo was not the greatest trainer of all time. He may have been one of the best motivators of all time, but not trainer. Muhammad Ali trained himself and developed his flashy style all on his own. Dundee was a cheerleader. No disrepect. Dundee was a good trainer but not the best.

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Urban Legend
This is sadder than sad. Who can forget Angelo's high voice screeching from the corner in the Tyson-Pinklon Thomas fight? Angelo was a good guy. Our boxing legends are getting thinner and thinner. I think Angelo might be one of the few hall of famer trainers that never fought himself.

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Has anyone seen this rare pizza hut commercial featuring Dundee and Ali? It's heartwarming. I wish they still made commercials like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1qrpoqmL-w&feature=player_embedded

I love how Dundee called Muhammad Ali "my kid" even after Ali turned 70. LOL.

Re: Angelo Dundee Died Today :(

Evolution
I cried when I heard the news. I met Angelo several times. He was almost always in a good mood. He bonded with me the way he bonded with everyone he met.