Are newspapers dying?

Michelle
I've heard a lot of people say that they're hanging by a thread. Is this true? And does it affect your job(s) AJ?

Re: Are newspapers dying?

They are, but journalists will still keep their jobs because of the internet. Most people read their news online these days, so instead of our articles getting printed in a newspaper, they'll go straight to the web. It'll still be a while before newspapers go extinct, but I doubt they'll still be here in 25 years.

Good question, Michelle.

Re: Are newspapers dying?

Jessica
I heard those rumors, too. Everything is dissolving these days. I bet my grandkids won't even know what a book is.

Re: Are newspapers dying?

Michelle
You can have your whole life on your cell phone. All this new technology is ruining our lives. I never get phone calls anymore. Just text messages or facebook.

Re: Are newspapers dying?

A Friend
My honest thoughts is that newspapers aren't hanging by a thread, but are adapting fast. Just as vinyl is still around in spite of cds, cds in spite of downloads,  the same will be true for papers.

In the UK, the i paper has surged massively in sales yet is concise with no gossip. They refused to print a photo of Michael jackson on a slab and gurney. It's 20p, but quality. It has also cottoned onto the buzzword of this generation - i paper, ipod, itunes, etc.

People still like to hold real books even if they've got the ebook version. Papers won't disappear, but local papers won't suffer the way national ones currently are.

Re: Are newspapers dying?

A Friend wrote
My honest thoughts is that newspapers aren't hanging by a thread, but are adapting fast. Just as vinyl is still around in spite of cds, cds in spite of downloads,  the same will be true for papers.

In the UK, the i paper has surged massively in sales yet is concise with no gossip. They refused to print a photo of Michael jackson on a slab and gurney. It's 20p, but quality. It has also cottoned onto the buzzword of this generation - i paper, ipod, itunes, etc.

People still like to hold real books even if they've got the ebook version. Papers won't disappear, but local papers won't suffer the way national ones currently are.
I think you're right. My wife has generally abandoned print books for e-books. But I think print will exist forever, even if it does become rare. For example, I can't imagine the Bible in digital form only.

Things are becoming easier in this digital age we live in. I am not a fan of twitter but its an excellent way to tweet the articles and videos I do. 30 years ago reporters had to abandon the typewriter, so its expected to change with the times when you need to.

Re: Are newspapers dying?

Ashley
Papers are dying a slow death. sad but true.

Re: Are newspapers dying?

A Friend wrote
My honest thoughts is that newspapers aren't hanging by a thread, but are adapting fast. Just as vinyl is still around in spite of cds, cds in spite of downloads,  the same will be true for papers.

In the UK, the i paper has surged massively in sales yet is concise with no gossip. They refused to print a photo of Michael jackson on a slab and gurney. It's 20p, but quality. It has also cottoned onto the buzzword of this generation - i paper, ipod, itunes, etc.

People still like to hold real books even if they've got the ebook version. Papers won't disappear, but local papers won't suffer the way national ones currently are.
Very nice. Nice to hear whats going on overseas. I know here in the United States, only people my age subscribe to newspapers.

Re: Are newspapers dying?

Remember also that people expected television and radio to kill off newspapers, too. But it never happened.

These days reporters use the internet to break news as it happens. Say, for example there's a big accident on the interstate. On the newspaper's website, a reporter may write, "Brutal collision on I-95. Multiple injuries. Story developing."

The same thing happens when a celebrity dies. I remember when Whitney Houston was announced dead, the reports read "Singer Whitney Houston found dead in hotel room. Story developing."

As the reporter gathers more information, they add more to the story. When all the information is gathered, they write the article.

By using the internet, news can spread within seconds.

By using the internet, news can spread within seconds.
Good points AJ. Yeah, the internet reports new quicker than a newspaper could, although you could get the complete story in the paper but the internet can provide breaking news snippets to let you know whats happening as it does.

Re: Are newspapers dying?

Phantom Punch
Is it easier to get a job with a magazine or online news site AJ? I don't have faith in newspapers anymore.

Re: Are newspapers dying?

Phantom Punch wrote
Is it easier to get a job with a magazine or online news site AJ? I don't have faith in newspapers anymore.
Not all online sites pay. Most of the ones that do don't pay anything worth it. You do all that researching, writing and interviewing only to get paid per page view, or maybe $25-30? Not worth it at all.

Magazines sometimes pay more but it's still freelance - pay per article. Send your clips to magazines and see if they'll let you publish stories for them. You never know.