Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

Hit Em' Hard
Great article analyzing the two. Who takes it?

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/louis_liston_fl.html
Pick a winner and how

Re: Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

Re: Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

I think Louis would win by knockout but a Sonny win wouldn't surprise me. Louis was down so many times in his career, but Sonny was a better finisher and much harder hitter than Walcott, Braddock and most of the other guys that put Joe down. When Louis gets past Liston's long jab and gets close enough to land those short hooks and uppercuts, Sonny is going down.

Re: Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

Bert Sugar
Who the hell voted "Louis on points?" Only one fighter lasted the distance with Joe in his prime and that was Tommy Farr. When Joe Louis has you on the hook, you're on the hook! You're not going to survive. Joe Louis knocked out everyone he faced in his prime with the exception of Tommy Farr because he injured his right hand. Sonny Liston had a good chin but he isn't standing up to Joe Louis. Once Joe hurts you there's no chance of survival. Joe even had a higher knockout percentage than Sonny.

Re: Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

It's Dale
Great article and I agree with the writer. Joe Louis was too sharp a boxer and finisher for old Sonny. This makes me ask how much older Louis was than Sonny? They look close in age in their photo together. Sonny has always looked like an older man.

Re: Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

Sivul
Louis' technical skills, quickness of hand and explosive power would help him emerge victorious. I do see a scenario where Sonny wins though. Sonny was better than Galento and Baer, both technically and as a finisher. It's a fight that Louis' to win but he better not make a careless mistake because if Sonny hurts him he would succeed at finishing him where most fighters failed.

Re: Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

A Joe Louis victory could go two ways.

Louis would be setting Liston up for a knockout as early as round 1, but Liston wouldn't be aware of it. That's how Louis operated. Jack "Chappie "Blackburn would organize a game-plan to gradually break down an opponent and set him up for a spectacular finish in the mid-later rounds.

But I've also considered the possibility that Louis would stop Liston early. I think this is possible for two reasons.

1) Louis didn't take it easy on black fighters. Look at how quickly he destroyed John Henry Lewis. Louis said in his book that he wanted to make quick work of Walcott in both fights but Walcott kept running. Also, one look at the fight with Ezzard Charles showed that Louis tried desperately to knock him out in each round but just didn't have it anymore. His hands weren't quick enough to capitalize on the openings. Louis wouldn't have to carry Liston the way he did white fighters and would probably come out swinging.

2) Louis quickly destroyed punchers who were a threat to him. When Max Baer stunned Louis by hitting him after the bell, Louis damn near killed him in the next round. Baer was one hell of a puncher and he was cheating? No reason to keep him around. A similar thing happened with Galento. Louis said he was going to carry him for 8 or 9 rounds but when Galento put him on the floor he knew he had to get rid of him fast.

Sonny Liston was black and a dangerous puncher. Louis nearly always attempted to make quick work of men in both categories. So most likely Louis would come out slugging and going for a quick knockout. But like I said earlier, Liston was a better boxer than Baer, Galento, Simon and the other sluggers Louis fought, so I can see a scenario where Chappy has Louis patiently counter and outbox him then knock him out when the time is right.

Re: Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

I think Sonny's jab would be a tremendous weapon in this fight. If he can pump it up, he can defeat Joe. But if Joe makes it a close fight, we might have the heavyweight version of Tommy Hearns vs. Marvin Hagler here.

Re: Article Analyzing Sonny Liston versus Joe Louis

I agree. Sonny would get destroyed here. Joe wouldn't give him a chance to get off.

The question is...how long does it go? Sonny ain't going out as fast as John Henry Lewis did. I say Louis stops it around 4 or 5.

I agree that Louis ends it relatively early, but Sonny ain't the kind of guy you come right out and slug with. It's best to wait for your moment to sock him with a perfectly timed Joe Louis counter and then unleash the finishing hooks and uppercuts.