Bert Cooper has left the world at age 53

Bert Cooper has left the world at age 53

Bert Cooper will be missed.

Bert Cooper is the first fighter to knockdown Holyfield.

Bert Cooper has fought many top fighters like Ray Mercer, George Foreman, Michael Moore, Riddick Bowe, Holyfield, Chris Byrd, Luis Ortiz ( the modern Joe Louis fighting style).

Ray Mercer said that he enjoyed fighting Bert Cooper.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/ray-mercer-pays-tribute-to-bert-cooper/

Re: Bert Cooper has left the world at age 53

Whoa!!! I didn’t know he died. Damn. One of the best punchers ever. If he had left the drugs alone and kept Joe Frazier as a trainer he no doubt would have won a title

Re: Bert Cooper has left the world at age 53

Whoa!!! I didn’t know he died. Damn. One of the best punchers ever. If he had left the drugs alone and kept Joe Frazier as a trainer he no doubt would have won a title

I forgot that Joe trained him. The only real difference was that Bert was more crude, a lot less polished, relied more on the right hand for a knockout rather than the left hook, and he lacked heart. I'll never forget how fast he quit against Foreman.

But like some other guys I know (Shannon Briggs, Ray Mercer, David Tua, etc) he's far from all-time great material but when he's motivated he's a threat to anyone.

Re: Bert Cooper has left the world at age 53

Evan Fields wrote
But like some other guys I know (Shannon Briggs, Ray Mercer, David Tua, etc) he's far from all-time great material but when he's motivated he's a threat to anyone.
Yeah. He's not one to be taken lightly. Holyfield found that out the hard way and almost got knocked out because of it.

In fact, Bert hospitalized an old friend of mine. He was a boxer named Loren Ross "The Boss." I was helping him write an autobiography but he was killed before we could finish. Sad. But Ross' biggest fight was against Bert and he got KO'd so hard he was hospitalized after the fight and quit boxing, although he was a trainer for the rest of his life.

Here's the fight. Bert Cooper at his best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18OSz5TA7Nw

Fight Aftermath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFudtdVhM6k

Re: Bert Cooper has left the world at age 53

Yeah. He's not one to be taken lightly. Holyfield found that out the hard way and almost got knocked out because of it.

In fact, Bert hospitalized an old friend of mine. He was a boxer named Loren Ross "The Boss." I was helping him write an autobiography but he was killed before we could finish. Sad. But Ross' biggest fight was against Bert and he got KO'd so hard he was hospitalized after the fight and quit boxing, although he was a trainer for the rest of his life.

Here's the fight. Bert Cooper at his best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18OSz5TA7Nw

Fight Aftermath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFudtdVhM6k

That's a tragic story, AJ. I'm sure Loren had some good stories, even if he didn't make it too far. But as far as constructive criticism goes, Loren fought good but carelessly. He had his hands down waaaay too much, and against a slugger who constantly comes at you like Bert Cooper, well, that knockout was inevitable. He asked for it really, and never recovered from the first big hit.

But I was impressed with his jab and his ability to throw those hard combinations. I can tell he tried to get Bert outta there but Bert had a good chin.

Re: Bert Cooper has left the world at age 53

Zorro
Another of many '90s fighters that never lived up to his potential.

Re: Bert Cooper has left the world at age 53

I never met Loren Ross but I heard good things about him back in the day. Thanks for those memories, AJ. What happened to him, by the way? You can message me if you don't want to reveal it on here.

As far as Bert Cooper goes, he was one of those fighters that did great in sparring (when he was motivated) but was almost always totally outclassed on fight night. He did good Tyson imitations in sparring but we rarely saw that in his real fights.

Re: Bert Cooper has left the world at age 53