Best Former Boxer To Commentate

I think it was George Foreman. Being trained by Archie Moore gave him a lot of insight on things. His commentary for HBO was brilliant. He often said things that the other guys missed.

I think Sugar Ray Leonard did a good job, too. So did Rocky Marciano. Lennox Lewis was OK, but Roy Jones Jr and David Tua sucked, in my opinion. Muhammad Ali was funny to listen to, but didn't offer the insight that commentators are supposed to. Ali was too busy marketing himself.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Rosco
I liked Muhammad Ali a lot. His comedy gave real "color" to color commentary. I didn't like Lennox Lewis on commentary at all. I'm not at all surprised that HBO let him go. Hey that ryhmes! lol.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

49-0
The Brockton Blockbuster was really dramatic with his commentary. Here he is commentating on the heavyweight tite fight between Archie Moore and Floyd Patterson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUkqyfUjTU

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Rosco wrote
I liked Muhammad Ali a lot. His comedy gave real "color" to color commentary. I didn't like Lennox Lewis on commentary at all. I'm not at all surprised that HBO let him go. Hey that ryhmes! lol.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

49-0 wrote
The Brockton Blockbuster was really dramatic with his commentary. Here he is commentating on the heavyweight tite fight between Archie Moore and Floyd Patterson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUkqyfUjTU
Rocky obviously had a lot of respect for Floyd Patterson. I wish The Rock had done more commentary because he was a natural at it.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Zorro
Speaking of Floyd Patterson, he did a good job at the commentary table too. Joe Louis was a ring scientist and I valued his input the few times he did commentary but he mumbled a lot. I respect George Foreman on commentary too AJ. His voice was clear and he said some things i didn't expect George Foreman to say. I didn't know how scientific he could really be because in his prime he fought like a wild man with no technical skills whatsoever.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

In watching the second Lewis-Holyfield fight recently, you can't help but notice how much George Foreman shines as an announcer. Lewis would bend his knees for leverage before throwing the uppercut, leaving him low enough for Evander to smash him with a left hook. Holyfield was timing this and landing that left hook regularly because he saw what Lewis was doing. It was George Foreman who pointed this out.

If I had to pick a former boxer to listen to on commentary for the rest of my life, it's be George. Great personality, clear speaking voice, great opinions and excellent analysis.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Plus he saved his fellow announcers during a famous riot by taking them under his considerable wing!

He was wild when young, but did not have zero skills.  For example did have an excellent jab & some feel for timing.  Since then he learned tremendous amount.
Truth. Who was your favorite former boxer on commentary?

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Has Mike Tyson ever done commentary before? He was a real student of the game. I'll bet he'd drop some serious knowledge. In fact I'll think any of the Cus D'Amato proteges would be great announcers. (Patterson, Torres, Jay Bright, etc)

It was a bit unsettling to hear James Brown and Red Foxx doing the commentary during one of Muhammad Ali's fights. (I think it was the fight with Chuck Wepner). These guys were legends in their respective fields but were only announcing a boxing match because they were close friends with Muhammad Ali.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

49-0 wrote
The Brockton Blockbuster was really dramatic with his commentary. Here he is commentating on the heavyweight tite fight between Archie Moore and Floyd Patterson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUkqyfUjTU
Rocky did a great job. Yea hes dramatic fo' sho.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

BAD INTENTIONS
HBO fired Lennox Lewis a couple of years ago. "The official" reasoning was budget cuts but honestly they just didn't like working with him. It still came as a shock because Lennox knew his shit. He was great on commentary. I was not surprised however when they fired Roy Jones Jr. He and Larry Merchant couldn't stand each other. You could tell. Here is an example. They had heated exchanges like this one all the time.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Malik Wright
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
Yo, rookie. thats funny. RJJ is right tho. Its easy for Larry to sit back and say that shit but real boxers can bring real insight that non-athletes can't see. Are announcers supposed to be neutral? Because Jim Lamphley was pissed the fuck off in this video. Emanuel Steward was upset too but he stayed professional. But Jim sounded like he was ready to cry he was so pissed. Let me see if I can find the youtube video.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Malik Wright
Lehhhgo.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Evan Fields
Malik Wright wrote
Lehhhgo.
I remember this. but Malik, if you thought that was bad, you haven't seen nuthin til you've seen this. Teddy Atlas was outraged at this bullshit decision and even grabbed one of the judges and forced him to admit that he was wrong live on the air. I don't know if announcers are supposed to be neutral but I like the fact that they can call it like it is. Watch Teddy flip out. I don't blame him. He says that decisions like this one are what turn people away from boxing. He's right.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Technically, you're supposed to be unbiased on the air and just do play-by-play. That's how it was done during the Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Robinson eras. The announcers sounded quite annoying at times because they talked to fast but they called the action as it took place.

As the years went by guys like Cossell would call the action but do it in conversation form. Don Dunphy used to talk a mile a minute and only reported the action in the ring but by the 70s he followed Howard Cossell's lead. We talked about this kind of thing in a broadcasting class I took in college. Announcing for all sports began to change during the 60s and 70s.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Shane
Larry Merchant strikes again. Here he called Floyd Mayweather Jr boring. Floyd got pissed and understandably so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYA49V_P4qs

Here is the real story about why Lennox Lewis was fired from HBO....

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5172002

Lennox gave an interview telling his side of the story but I can't find it right now. I'll try again later.

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

Zombies Ate Me
David Tua was kinda useless as an announcer. He was on commentary for the Briggs-Mercer fight and didn't really say much until the knockout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAD6EJJHnj0

Re: Best Former Boxer To Commentate

As far as future announcers goes, I suggest that Amir Khan and Floyd Mayweather are candidates.
Possibly Bernard Hopkins.
12