Best boxing video game?

There's been so many that I don't wanna do a poll. Which game is your favorite? I'm partial to Knockout Kings because everybody was on there, and you really had to think on your toes and know what you're doing. You have to actually know boxing to play that game successfully.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Malik Wright
The best boxing game ain't Fight Night Champion. That is one of the most frustrating games that I've ever played, I constantly wanted to throw my controller across the room. I love the direction they went with the boxer redemption story, it's very well done (though slightly generic) and I'm sad I didn't get to see the whole story because of the horrible gameplay. The story mode regularly handicaps your character or enhances your opponent to a point where it almost feels like the game AI is cheating.

As for knockout kings, I was so looking forward to playing this game and chanting "Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier..". Oh well no sign of such boxing greats as Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Frazier, or George Foreman to name a few (yet we get Virgil Hill and Butterbean go figure). We also get your fat homeboy David Tua!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have some Burger King, my nigga?

Re: Best boxing video game?

There's been so many that I don't wanna do a poll. Which game is your favorite? I'm partial to Knockout Kings because everybody was on there, and you really had to think on your toes and know what you're doing. You have to actually know boxing to play that game successfully.
Knockout Kings was really good at that time. The game even had fighters that never won the heavyweight title like Archie Moore, Butterbean, David Tua, Ken Norton and Earnie Shavers. It had Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, Sonny Liston, Evander Holyfield, Michael Moorer, Floyd Patterson, Lennox Lewis and basically everyone of heavyweight importance except for Jack Johnson, Joe Frazier and George Foreman.

I prefer Fight Night Round 4 over Fight Night Champion. It was nice to finally have the opportunity for Tyson vs. Ali.

They represent Lennox Lewis to a tee. He's the hardest muhfu**a on that game. There's no real strategy to beat him. He's big, strong and skilled just like in real life.

Re: Best boxing video game?

I have to go with Fight Night Champion. The games are so realistic and place emphasis on each boxers real style. Boxing games have come a long way and Fight Night Champion is the pinnacle thus far.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Urban Legend
GatorPurify wrote
I have to go with Fight Night Champion. The games are so realistic and place emphasis on each boxers real style.
Knockout Kings was the same way, but the motion movements and overall game quality have improved quite a bit since then. Fight Night Champion is the best, but it was Knockout Kings that began the trend.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Stone Cold wrote
Knockout Kings was really good at that time. The game even had fighters that never won the heavyweight title like Archie Moore, Butterbean, David Tua, Ken Norton and Earnie Shavers.
Ken Norton is a former heavyweight champion. I believe he was the WBC Heavyweight champ during the 70s.

Stone Cold wrote
They represent Lennox Lewis to a tee. He's the hardest muhfu**a on that game. There's no real strategy to beat him. He's big, strong and skilled just like in real life.
I played it last night for the first time and I loved it. I fought two fights.

I was Rocky Marciano and I fought Lennox Lewis. I didn't block much; I stayed low, attacking his body and blasting his chin with big uppercuts that came right up the middle through his guard. I decked him several times and knocked him out in round 5. I was impressed with the detail of the game. Even Lennox's dreads were represented correctly.

I then played as 1994 George Foreman against the prime 20 year-old Mike Tyson. (Suicide, I know) Tyson came right at me with body shots and uppercuts but I stayed close and kept walloping him with uppercuts of my own. Once I stunned him with an uppercut and dropped him with a powerful left hook. Later I knocked him out with a big uppercut. Since Tyson was in my face, he was open to the punch just as Frazier was.

I liked the game. Like any boxing game, if you know the style of the boxer, you'll have success.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Hit Em' Hard
Lennox is by far the best boxer in the game, better than Ali. He's a beast with a ton of stamina and never seems to go down. His hand movement is fairly slow though, or at least predictable. I just predicated counters than spammed jabs / straights at his eye until he got damaged substantially. At the point the cpu will spend points healing his damage instead of his health, and you can go for an all out assault in one of the later rounds when he is weak.

(This is of course assuming you have decent stamina and arm strength yourself)

Re: Best boxing video game?

^^Indeed. Lennox is a dangerous, dangerous fighter. You'd think a long-armed heavyweight would be vulnerable on the inside but Lennox isn't. He actually destroyed Tyson with a chilling right hand on the inside. He's a dangerous fighter whether you attempt to fight from a distance or up close.

Re: Best boxing video game?

GatorPurify wrote
I have to go with Fight Night Champion. The games are so realistic and place emphasis on each boxers real style. Boxing games have come a long way and Fight Night Champion is the pinnacle thus far.
I play this all the time. Is it me or did they mistakingly put post-prison Tyson on the game? They supposedly made him the peak 20 year-old Tyson but he tires late in the fight like the Tyson from 1996-2005.

I agree that it is the pinnacle of boxing games so far. I applaud the realism. They got a few things wrong but more things right.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Hit Em' Hard wrote
Lennox is by far the best boxer in the game, better than Ali. He's a beast with a ton of stamina and never seems to go down. His hand movement is fairly slow though, or at least predictable. I just predicated counters than spammed jabs / straights at his eye until he got damaged substantially. At the point the cpu will spend points healing his damage instead of his health, and you can go for an all out assault in one of the later rounds when he is weak.

(This is of course assuming you have decent stamina and arm strength yourself)
There is no best strategy against Lennox, just like in real life. Depending on who you play as, you could beat Tyson and Ali. But Lennox? You're in for a long night. They improved his chin on the games, so you're chances of scoring a one-punch knockout like McCall and Rahman are slim, no matter how hard you punch.

Re: Best boxing video game?

George Jefferson wrote
GatorPurify wrote
I have to go with Fight Night Champion. The games are so realistic and place emphasis on each boxers real style. Boxing games have come a long way and Fight Night Champion is the pinnacle thus far.
I play this all the time. Is it me or did they mistakingly put post-prison Tyson on the game? They supposedly made him the peak 20 year-old Tyson but he tires late in the fight like the Tyson from 1996-2005.

I agree that it is the pinnacle of boxing games so far. I applaud the realism. They got a few things wrong but more things right.
You're exactly right. I guess maybe the 80's Tyson they thought would be flawless. Ali and Tyson have the highest overall rating of real fighters. The game is realistic in that way. It mirrors a lot of the fighters in real life. Tyson on this game comes out firing. The speed and power are almost unbearable. He will knock you out with one punch if you're not careful. But when he loses stamina he's done and it's easier to take him out.

With Ali and Lennox, you have to develop a strategy almost like a real fight. And these cats are super hard to beat. They have a long reach, (Ali being faster and Lennox stronger) great stamina, and it's hard to get past that being a shorter fighter. The game is so realistic it's almost like a real life strategy. To beat both of them you have to be patient. You have to counter and work the body continuously. You use so much energy avoiding their punches, you can tire yourself out. You even might lose the first few rounds. But if you stay working the body, by the later rounds you can take them out. After a while it's hard for them to escape the pressure on the ropes. Tua should go back in a time machine and fight this way so he could of given Lennox a challenging fight.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Stone Cold wrote
There is no best strategy against Lennox, just like in real life. Depending on who you play as, you could beat Tyson and Ali. But Lennox? You're in for a long night. They improved his chin on the games, so you're chances of scoring a one-punch knockout like McCall and Rahman are slim, no matter how hard you punch.
I disagree about them improving the level of his beard. The one punch knock outs online are absolute bastards. As Lennox Lewis I was just beating a Tyson, keeping him away, jab jab, straight, winning the fight with a clean face whereas his is messed up. When he did get close I smashed him with the uppercut. In the 7th I was stupid enough to walk into a right hook, instant KO. Ag.

Re: Best boxing video game?

I'll tell you something else realistic about Fight Night Champion: Teddy Atlas' negative biased attitude towards Mike Tyson. Every time he announces a Tyson fight, Teddy goes on and on about how Tyson lacks character and mental toughness, or making "silent contracts" so that he won't hit an opponent and let him tie him up. It gets annoying but hey, it's realistic.

Even Knockout Kings was realistic. I remember once I was Sonny Liston and having an easy time with David Tua. I kept him on the long end of my jab in round one, and hit him with the occasional uppercut and hook. The second round was the same thing....until he hit me with one surprise left hook that knocked me out cold. I was mad at first but soon realized that the game was actually being quite honest.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Hit Em' Hard
Knockout Kings was a fun game indeed. Evander Holyfield and Joe Frazier come to fight. I remember Evander would come right at you and start the pace immedieatly, beating you up with combinations of hooks and uppercuts to the head and body. He's the real deal and he sure fought like it. Joe Frazier came out firing with those left hooks. Just like in real life, there's nothing you can do to guard yourself from it. You're gonna get caught with those damn left hooks.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Urban Legend
Hit Em' Hard wrote
Knockout Kings was a fun game indeed. Evander Holyfield and Joe Frazier come to fight. I remember Evander would come right at you and start the pace immedieatly, beating you up with combinations of hooks and uppercuts to the head and body. He's the real deal and he sure fought like it. Joe Frazier came out firing with those left hooks. Just like in real life, there's nothing you can do to guard yourself from it. You're gonna get caught with those damn left hooks.
Frazier never gets tired either. He won't let up until you're knocked out.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Hit Em' Hard wrote
Knockout Kings was a fun game indeed. Evander Holyfield and Joe Frazier come to fight. I remember Evander would come right at you and start the pace immedieatly, beating you up with combinations of hooks and uppercuts to the head and body. He's the real deal and he sure fought like it. Joe Frazier came out firing with those left hooks. Just like in real life, there's nothing you can do to guard yourself from it. You're gonna get caught with those damn left hooks.
The referee and announcers could be biased on this game. I'll never forget one time I was playing as Jack Dempsey and beating the snot out of Muhammad Ali. It was a tough fight but I was hurting Ali with body attacks and left hooks. By the 10th round, Ali was punching less and much slower. Sometimes he got mad and tried to slug it out with me, which only got him punished worse. It was only a matter of time before I finished him with a left hook. While I was bobbing and weaving, he hit me with a low blow, (Mills Lane ignored it) and then knocked me out with a right hand. I was pissed. If I had landed a low blow I would have probably been DQ'd or had points deducted. For Ali to cheat and then suddenly knock me out when I wasn't even hurt really shocked me.

If you play against someone really popular (Ali, Louis, Marciano, etc) the announcers praise everything that they do and ignore it when you land something huge.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Hit Em' Hard
^^Dude, you said it! The commentators are programmed to say certain things when a boxer lands his most famed punch. "Smooth jab by Larry Holmes," "What a great left hook by David Tua!"

They do drop some helpful hints sometimes that are true to reality, like "Get Evander Holyfield out of his gameplan and brawl and you may beat him," or "A pure boxer style can confuse Joe Louis."

They do let certain legends get away with unpenalized cheating. Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis will fight dirty if they're losing but Mills Lane won't say a thing.

Re: Best boxing video game?

Great points. I do disagree with the game making Joe Louis a dirty fighter sometimes when he's in trouble. He landed a few low blows on Schmeling but didn't remember doing it. In fact, he says he doesn't remember anything from the 4th round on. He even sent one of his handlers to Schmeling's dressing room after the fight to apologize. Ali, on the other hand, did use dirty tactics and on purpose. (Clinching, holding behind the neck, getting Dundee to loosen the ropes in Zaire, etc).

One thing I like about Knockout Kings is that you have to know how to use a boxer's style to win fights. Fighters like Dempsey and Marciano have to bob and weave, get inside and work the body and head with hooks and uppercuts up close. They can't win fights from the distance. You have to get close. Guys like Holmes and Ali can't fight up close and rely on distance punches like jabs and crosses. And then you have guys like Lewis, Louis, Holyfield and Liston that can do it all. They can fight toe to toe or from the outside.

Re: Best boxing video game?

[...]

Fat sloppy Foreman of the 90s would get massacred by prime Mike Tyson, so kudos to you for knowing George's style well enough to knock him out. That is a seemingly impossible fight.

Rocky Marciano always has a puncher's chance against Lennox Lewis tho.

Re: Best boxing video game?

This is a short and brutal affair between Tyson and Butterbean. Someone got knocked out quick. Watch the clip to discover who!!
12345