Best heavyweight of the '90s (disregarding Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield)

Best heavyweight of the '90s (disregarding Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield)

Pretend you're a lawyer and have to make a case of who was the absolute best heavyweight during the '90s. It was Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield who accomplished the most during the decade, and the era would not have been the same without presence of Mike Tyson. But if you disregard "the big three" who was the best fighter around and why?

State your argument.

Re: Best heavyweight of the '90s (disregarding Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield)

Friday The 13th...
Michael Moorer beause of his consistency. He lost to Foreman, but his only losses were to Foreman and Holyfield. He did really well overall and made history on two counts; being the first light heavyweight to win the heavyweight title and being the first southpaw heavyweight champion.

Re: Best heavyweight of the '90s (disregarding Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield)

RICKY TAN

Big George had a good run from 1987-1997. Riddick Bowe looked like he would lead the heavyweights when Tyson was incarcerated but he didn't. It was George who surprised everyone by doing well with younger competition and for a long ten year stretch.

Re: Best heavyweight of the '90s (disregarding Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield)

J.C.
Foreman and Moorer were good picks. What's interesting is that the early part of the decade looked promising to Ruddock and Bowe, but the later half was looking good for Mercer, Briggs and Tua. But it was George Foreman who was there for the whole decade and did remarkably well. So he is my pick. I rank them this way.

Holyfield
Lewis
Tyson
George Foreman
Michael Moorer
Luc

Re: Best heavyweight of the '90s (disregarding Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield)

Luc
Foreman
Bowe
Moorer

Honourable mentions to Mercer for pushing Lewis so close,  gallotta for ending Bowe, despite being crazy

Re: Best heavyweight of the '90s (disregarding Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield)

Good thoughts on Foreman, and I have to agree. He shocked the world by winning the title and was successful the entire decade, unlike some guys who looked good only during certain years.

Re: Best heavyweight of the '90s (disregarding Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield)

Big Red
It appears to be George but he cherry-picked his opponents. He side-stepped Tua, Vitali, Bryd and so many others that would have beat him and fought guys that would stand in front of him and make things easier. I have to deduct a lot of points from him for that. How is he the best of the decade if he didn't fight legit threats?

This is a challenging question. Bowe was doing damn good during some of those early years, but Tua was on fire as the decade closed out, despite never winning the title. Tommy Morrison lost too many fights for my taste, as did Mercer. Bowe and Tua had the least amount of losses - both only had one loss the whole decade. But Tua looked better overall. Bowe declined fast after the first Holyfield fight and wasn't the same fighter as he was in '92. But Tua was on fire the whole decade and knocked out everyone in his path, and his one loss was really controversial and it was a close fight.

So I vote Tua.