Better Chin? Lewis or Wlad?

Left Hook From Hell...
I've heard people say both had suspect chins. Who was more "chinny?"

Better chin?

Re: Better Chin? Lewis or Wlad?

Lennox had the better chin. Lennox had some real toe to toe wars with Ray Mercer, Vitali Klitschko, Evander Holyfield and others. And he also absorbed bombs from sluggers like Briggs, Morrison, Ruddock, Butler and Tua.

Wlad avoids a slugfest at all costs. He and Emanuel Steward knew that his chin was the chink in his armor so that's why they always strategized on keeping fights at a safe distance with the jab. Lennox went to war when he had to and always won when he did.

Re: Better Chin? Lewis or Wlad?

Zorro
Wlad had a pitiful chin for a champion/championship level fighter. I'm amazed he survived Samuel Peter. If Samuel were more developed and had more experience he would have finished Wlad that night.

Wlad is lucky he caught Ray Mercer at the end of his career. Had he fought the determined relentless Mercer who fought Lennox that night in '96 he would have been destroyed. Lewis survived that fight and was rarely (if ever) hurt. I don't think Wlad would have held up half as well. Lennox clearly had the more durable chin.

Re: Better Chin? Lewis or Wlad?

George Jefferson
Both were knocked out by inferior opponents. But Lewis had the better chin. You could argue the stoppage by McCall was premature, and the Rahman punch was a once in a lifetime bomb that would have destroyed many other heavyweights. Its a short list of heavyweight champions that would get up from that one.

Re: Better Chin? Lewis or Wlad?

BAD INTENTIONS
Lewis had the better chin but not by much....hey, we should give Wlad credit for surviving and beating Samuel Peter...he was hurt in the fight but came back to win much like Holmes did in the fight with Shavers.

I say Lennox had the better chin only because he stayed on his feet against Vitali, Ruddock, Morrison, Tua and some of the other bangers he fought....he proved his chin to be at the level of a heavyweight champion....Wlad hasn't fought the hard hitting competition Lewis did but if his chin was so flawed he would have been KO'd more than he was. Lennox's chin was better, but not by a long shot. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best chin ever, I rank Lewis' chin about an 8 among all heavyweight champions and Wladimir a 7.

Re: Better Chin? Lewis or Wlad?

Friday The 13th...
If they switched eras I don't see Wladimir staying on his feet against all those big punchers Lewis fought and beat. Morrison? Tua? Ruddock? Bruno? Briggs? Tyson? Grant? (Young) Mercer? Wladimir should be a favorite against them all but one or two of them would blast him outta there.

Lennox? If he fought Wlad's opposition he would only get KO'd if he got careless.

Re: Better Chin? Lewis or Wlad?

Yeah. His whole style is centered around him avoiding blows.

Re: Better Chin? Lewis or Wlad?

Friday The 13th... wrote
If they switched eras I don't see Wladimir staying on his feet against all those big punchers Lewis fought and beat. Morrison? Tua? Ruddock? Bruno? Briggs? Tyson? Grant? (Young) Mercer? Wladimir should be a favorite against them all but one or two of them would blast him outta there.
That's true. Lennox's chin was tested by much harder hitters overall. But having said that, Wlad's chin isn't that far behind. He did remarkably well against Anthony Joshua and took a lot of punishment that night. For an old fighter that is remarkable. We gotta give him his props.

Re: Better Chin? Lewis or Wlad?

Westmoreland
Urban Legend wrote
Lennox's chin was tested by much harder hitters overall. But having said that, Wlad's chin isn't that far behind. He did remarkably well against Anthony Joshua and took a lot of punishment that night. For an old fighter that is remarkable. We gotta give him his props.
Compare that to Lennox who slumped on his stool exhausted against Vitali in his last fight. Vitali's knockout was definitely coming. Lennox was about done.