Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

George Jefferson
This isn't about them facing each other. There's a thread on that subject here.

But, both of them only went down twice in their professional careers. Does the fact that Lewis was counted out both times and Rocky got up to win in both cases mean Rocky had the better whiskers? Thoughts on this?
Better chin

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Good question, but we really have to analyze the four knockdowns that happened here.

The knockdown Lewis suffered against McCall was a combination of many things. His feet were spread too far apart, he was leaning forward, and McCall smashed him when he was off balance throwing a right haymaker of his own. It was the surprise of the punch and the lack of proper balance that hurt Lewis in that one. Some say it was a premature stoppage, others say it wasn't. Could go either way.

Likewise, surprise was a big factor in the way Marciano went down versus Walcott. No doubt Rocky was expecting Walcott to dance, run and box as he always did. No one expected him to go out there like Jack Dempsey in the first round and wallop Rocky like that. I'll bet if Rocky had been prepared for Walcott's vicious assault he would have taken the punch much better. He never went down fighting Walcott again, which proves even more so that he was just taken by surprise.

Let's flip it. Would Rocky go down from the McCall punch? Maybe, especially given Rocky's tendency to throw looping haymakers the way Lewis did back then. But I don't see Rocky being as hurt as Lewis was. I imagine he'd get up and pound out a win the way he did against Walcott.

Would Lewis go down from the same punch Walcott smashed Rocky with? I doubt it, not with his feet planted and good balance. He might get briefly stunned but not hurt. Lewis's size would take away the sting of a blow like that. The only way Lewis would get hurt like that is if he were ducking down in range for Walcott to clock him good.

Archie Moore didn't hurt Rocky, but like the McCall-Lewis knockdown, it was a balance shot. Rocky was leaning in throwing a punch, and Moore (a superb counterpuncher) hit Rocky off balance and down he went.

Photobucket

Rocky resumed the fight as if nothing happened.

Now, the punch Hasim Rahman blasted Lennox with was a bomb that would have knocked out many other former heavyweight champions, not just Lennox. It broke through Lewis' guard and smashed him right on the chin as he bounced off the ropes smiling.

 photo down-goes-lennox-again_111063_GIFSoupcom1_zps0087b29b.gif

Everything was brutal about that knockout. Personally I feel that Marciano would have been KO'd by the same punch if it landed that way, but would it? Rocky would never bounce off the ropes, and Hasim wouldn't have to spring into the air with it the way he did Lewis.

Lewis was too big for Archie Moore to ever counterpunch him, and Marciano was too small for Rahman to land the punch he landed on Lennox. But, Lewis also took big blows from Ray Mercer, Vitali Klitschko, David Tua, Mike Tyson, Lionel Richie, (I mean Lionel Butler) Razor Ruddock, Michael Grant and others.

Who are the biggest punchers Rocky faced? Joe Louis landed some good shots but didn't have the snap and lighting quick hand speed he once did. Carmine Vingo was a good puncher from what I heard, but there were no Mercers, Tyson, Klitschkos, or Tuas around during Rocky's reign to really test his chin.

If I'm forced to vote, I'm voting Lennox Lewis. But only because he fought more punchers than Rocky and on a consistent basis.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Lennox, for the same reason Duggerman said. Lewis fought a bunch of punchers and on most occasions survived. Rocky had a good chin but I'd have to see him fight someone like Ray Mercer or Sonny Liston to prove that its great.

Lennox was right after the Rahman loss. He said "This is what happens in heavyweight boxing. You get knocked down and don't beat the count, they stop the fight." Lennox was knocked out by Rahman, but made it up against McCall but they stopped the fight anyway.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Excellent analysis as usual AJ, every KO blow in history is just one moment in time which cant be reproduced in all aspects so its hard to say who had the best chin other than to say each time Rocky was floored he got up to win so my vote naturally went to Marciano.To be fair to lewis as you have said that Rahman punch would have KO'd anyone who commited the same mistakes that Lennox did. I've said in a previous thread it's unfair to keep refering to Rockys size, after all he would be a cruiserweight in these times but if I'm being honest could he take the kind of shots a George Foreman or any of these bigger heavyweights could deliver,I just dont know

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Thanks, Precious.

Yeah, the only way Rocky would get caught with the Rahman punch is if he bounced off the ropes and high into the air where Rahman could blast his chin. If this happened, Rocky would be knocked out of  mid-air and would hit the ground with a harder thud than Lewis did. Interesting fantasy, but it'd never happen. Rahman's best punch to land on Marciano would be the uppercut.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Zorro
I voted Rocky Marciano. Lennox never got off the deck after he was knocked down. Rocky got off the deck, recovered and then knocked the guy out! This happened both times he was knocked down.

Joe Frazier had a much better chin than Lewis. You saw how he kept getting up against Foreman. He was never counted out! Let George hit Lennox. Lennox would be sleeping.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Shane
I don't see Marciano getting knocked out by McCall and Rahman. I don't care what the altitude is. Rocky would also never show up out of shape or unfocused the way Lewis was when he was KO'd.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

49-0
Shane wrote
I don't see Marciano getting knocked out by McCall and Rahman. I don't care what the altitude is. Rocky would also never show up out of shape or unfocused the way Lewis was when he was KO'd.
Ditto. Rocky would never get knocked out by a lesser opponent. Lennox Lewis was a great heavyweight but his chin was the chink in his armor.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Maximillian
49-0 wrote
Shane wrote
I don't see Marciano getting knocked out by McCall and Rahman. I don't care what the altitude is. Rocky would also never show up out of shape or unfocused the way Lewis was when he was KO'd.
Ditto. Rocky would never get knocked out by a lesser opponent. Lennox Lewis was a great heavyweight but his chin was the chink in his armor.
You people gotta be kidding me. How in the blue hell is Rocky leading in this poll? First, for the MILLIONTH time on this forum, Lennox Lewis did NOT have a glass chin. Jeezus Christ. I'm tired of saying it. Did Rocky Marciano withstand punches from Tua, Morrison, Mercer, Butler, Tyson, Ruddock, Grant, Holyfield, Golota, Briggs and all those others? You don't win fights against any of those guys with a weak chin. Impossible. Walcott and Moore would never put Lewis on the deck. Rocky did not fight the sluggers Lewis did. The best slugger he fought (Joe Louis) was older than Jesus when they fought, and he was knocked down by little heavies in Moore and Walcott. To quote Bill Cosby, "Come on, PeOpLe!!!"

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Photobucket
That gif is hypnotizing! It looks like each time Rocky gets knocked down he pops right back up with a left hook then gets floored again by the same punch over and over. hahahahahahahahaha.

But anyway its really hard to say who had the better chin. Lennox's chin was better tested especially in the fights with Mercer and Klitschko, but all the while, he was knocked out twice by a single punch by inferior opponents. Rocky's chin had to be quite good because he was only down in two fights and on both occasions rose to knock the other guy out. Therefore I edge Rocky, especially considering the big blows he took from Joe Louis, Carmine Vingo and Roland LaStarza. And, Ezzard Charles was a better puncher than given credit for.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Kid Dynamite
Lennox had the better chin between the two. He took the best shots Ray Mercer had to give and came out victorious. I can't imagine Marciano ever surviving a motivated Ray Mercer. He was an animal that night.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

49-0
Kid Dynamite wrote
Lennox had the better chin between the two. He took the best shots Ray Mercer had to give and came out victorious. I can't imagine Marciano ever surviving a motivated Ray Mercer. He was an animal that night.
Rocky was too much of a man for Ray Mercer. Ray tired himself out in that fight and the lazy rounds cost him the fight. Rocky didn't tire. He had more heart than Mercer and was tougher and better conditioned. Rocky would take those shots flush from Mercer and keep coming.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

George Jefferson wrote
This isn't about them facing each other. There's a thread on that subject here.

But, both of them only went down twice in their professional careers. Does the fact that Lewis was counted out both times and Rocky got up to win in both cases mean Rocky had the better whiskers? Thoughts on this?
If they swapped competition, several of Lewis' opponents would stop Rocky by KO/TKO. I honestly can't picture any of Rocky's opposition knocking out Lewis but it's certainly possible if Lewis let his guard down the way he did with McCall and Rahman.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Phantom Punch
No way to tell for sure unless they swapped opponents. If McCall and Rahman could kayo Lewis then so could some of the guys who fought Rocky if the circumstances were right. Who knows? Walcott, Charles and Moore could really bite and could score a surprise upset if Lewis took his eyes off the ball.

Its also worth noting that Lewis only suffered two "official" knockdowns. Henry Awkwinande knocked Lewis to his knee (but it erronously was not counted as a knockdown) and if the ropes hadn't been there to break his fall, Lewis would have been knocked out of the ring by Shannon Briggs.

Because of these factors I voted Rocky.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Westmoreland
I would say its a draw since both were only down twice in their professional careers. But one of Lewis' losses was a screwjob. I voted Rocky since he got off the canvas to win both times. Lennox was absolutely shattered by Hasim Rahman. Rocky got hit by an even better punch by Walcott but got up to return the favor.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Evolution
Lennox fought far bigger punchers than Rocky did and only touched the canvas twice. It was his own carelessness that got him stopped both times. So I edge Lennox.

Re: Better chin? Marciano or Lewis?

Courtney
Lewis ain't getting stretched by Archie Moore and Jersey Joe. I can't imagine light heavyweights hurting him.

I can excuse Lewis damn near getting killed by that Rahman punch. That one would smash through virtually anybody, and Marciano never got hit like that in his life!!!

Regarding McCall, Lewis got right up. In my opinion the ref screwed him.