Body Punch Knockouts

49-0
Other than Roy Jones Jr knocking out Virgil Hill with a body punch, can anyone think of other examples? Here is the footage if you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CkAZiorNCk

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Zombies Ate Me
David Tua beat Maurice Wheeler with a left uppercut to the body. Sick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Ea7ARKiNs

But....is it legit? A lot of people thought this was a dive. We talked about this fight in another thread last year.

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Zombies Ate Me wrote
David Tua beat Maurice Wheeler with a left uppercut to the body. Sick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Ea7ARKiNs

But....is it legit? A lot of people thought this was a dive. We talked about this fight in another thread last year.
I think this was a dive. David had been inactive for two years and needed an impressive knockout win to ascend the ranks. Maurice tapped Tua on top of the head as if to say, "Let's go for it now." The "knockout" occurred seconds later. When Maurice got up, he was smiling and hugging Tua, not showing any signs of pain from the punch or frustration from losing the fight.

Compare that to this one. David slammed Edward Gutierrez with a hard left hook in the body and the fight was over. Edward couldn't even breathe and was in serious pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FQMtRvr7BDM

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Zombies Ate Me wrote
David Tua beat Maurice Wheeler with a left uppercut to the body. Sick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Ea7ARKiNs

But....is it legit? A lot of people thought this was a dive. We talked about this fight in another thread last year.
I think this was a dive. David had been inactive for two years and needed an impressive knockout win to ascend the ranks. Maurice tapped Tua on top of the head as if to say, "Let's go for it now." The "knockout" occurred seconds later. When Maurice got up, he was smiling and hugging Tua, not showing any signs of pain from the punch or frustration from losing the fight.

Compare that to this one. David slammed Edward Gutierrez with a hard left hook in the body and the fight was over. Edward couldn't even breathe and was in serious pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FQMtRvr7BDM
I watched both knockouts. First I have to say that David Tua could really punch. One punch-body knockouts are rare.

Edward Gutierrez was hurt bad. The other side of his body was jiggling from the impact of the punch. That was one hell of a punch from David. Maurice Wheeler? I ain't too sure. It could have been a dive but I think it was legit because the punch landed with such impact. Who ever heard of a left uppercut to the body knocking someone out? But David Tua certainly had the power to do it.

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Shane
I've been KO'd in the gym by a body punch before. They take the wind out of you. If you get hit hard in the ribs, forget it. It takes a man to take those kinds of shots especially from real sluggers.

Knockouts to the head might be more memorable but body punches do more damage. Trust me. They do internal damage. You move and punch slower after a good smash to the body. A lot of guys were pissing blood after fights with Joe Frazier and Rocky Marciano because those guys loved to destroy the body. "Kill the body and the head will die" is one of those old school mottos fighters lived by. No one works the body anymore though. You ever seen a Klitschko land a body shot? I haven't.

Rosco wrote
Maurice Wheeler? I ain't too sure. It could have been a dive but I think it was legit because the punch landed with such impact. Who ever heard of a left uppercut to the body knocking someone out? But David Tua certainly had the power to do it.
Maurice is what we call "puncher's padding" in the industry. These are the dudes just happy to take a fight with a legend. They know they're going to lose but thats beside the point. They basically are there to keep declining fighters looking good. Maurice did what he was supposed to do.

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

David Tua KO'd Mauricio Villegas with a right uppercut to the body. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJyGgPhkLwQ
Don

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Don
Duggerman wrote
David Tua KO'd Mauricio Villegas with a right uppercut to the body. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJyGgPhkLwQ
I had no idea that Brother Tua had all these body punch knockouts. We've got three in this thread already.

Off the top of my head I think Muhammad Ali took body punches better than anyone else.
ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Floyd Patterson knocked out Charley Green with a brutal left hook to the body. The funny part is that he tried to help him up as he slumped to the canvas. lol. Patterson was a real nice guy even as he clobbered you..

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Zorro
I have heard that body punches hurt you worse than the blows to the head.

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

I have heard that body punches hurt you worse than the blows to the head.
They do

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Left Hook From Hell...
Is there a trick to surviving body blows? I don't understand how Muhammad Ali had no problem eating body blows in Zaire from Foreman but the body punches from Joe Frazier always troubled him..

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Evolution

A perfectly timed body blow will take the wind out of you and a power punch to the head following it is almost sure to get you outta there.

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Phantom Punch
Is there a trick to surviving body blows? I don't understand how Muhammad Ali had no problem eating body blows in Zaire from Foreman but the body punches from Joe Frazier always troubled him..
Joe was one of the best body bangers ever. Foreman hit harder but didn't commit to the body the way Joe used to.

Evolution wrote
A perfectly timed body blow will take the wind out of you and a power punch to the head following it is almost sure to get you outta there.
Yeah. Joe Frazier's double left hook and Tyson's body punch/uppercut combo were great examples.

Photobucket

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Alexander
Floyd Patterson knocked out Charley Green with a brutal left hook to the body. The funny part is that he tried to help him up as he slumped to the canvas. lol. Patterson was a real nice guy even as he clobbered you..
YouTube removed the video but I found a re-upload.
Floyd's power was unreal.
He gets slept on as a puncher.
Cus moved him up to heavyweight for a reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAkYmLxFMBo

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Yeah, and Floyd tried to help the man up as he was falling. lol. He lacked killer instinct, hence his nickname, "The gentleman of boxing."

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Maximillian
Man nothing hurts like a body punch, especially when they catch you when you have your arm extended and open throwing a hook.

Re: Body Punch Knockouts

Not a knockout, but man, Tyson really smashed Holyfield here.