Boxers that used the wrong style

Evan Fields
Other than Floyd Patterson, name a boxer that used a style that did not fit him. Floyd had faster hands but the peek-a-boo did not fit his damn chin.

Joe Frazier trained Marvis to fight more like a brawler than as a slick moving counterpuncher (his natural style). Some say this is why Marvis never became champ.

Re: Boxers that used the wrong style

Hmm....I think the peek-a-boo fit Patterson well. Some of you have claimed in the "peek-a-boo" thread that he used it better than Tyson. It's a fair argument. Patterson's chin was weak but it was his self-confidence that failed him worse than his chin, imo. Against Sonny Liston, Patterson just got in Liston's firing zone and waited to get hit.

Papa Joe did change Marvis' style. Lou Duva said that Marvis should have kept the style he had as an amatuer, and called him a "cutie." Marvis originally had a slick style like Walcott or Chris Bryd. He didn't have the fierce punching power of his father, nor did he have the chin to get in the face of murderous punchers like Tyson or assassins like Larry Holmes. The brawling style was absolutely wrong for him.

George Foreman had a weird style from 1975-1977. He was too scared to go for the big knockouts, but didn't have the technical skills he had in the 90s. I call it his "teenage" phase. Muhammad Ali shattered his confidence.