Boxers who fought well when angry

I think Ali was one of those rare boxers who fought well even when upset. In his bouts with Terrell and Patterson (first fight) he gave those guys a flawless boxing lesson. Joe Frazier did well when agitated too. He hated Ali, and even when he was past his prime he really punished him in Manila and pushed him to the brink.

Likewise, Joe Louis was pissed at Max Baer and Tony Galento—Max for hitting after the bell and Tony for scoring a surprise knockdown. As he result he destroyed them immediately after they committed these sins.

Any other boxers who fought good when angry?

Re: Boxers who fought well when angry

Phantom Punch
I beg the differ about Smokin Joe. I think his best performances were against Foster and Ellis although he had a slow start with Ellis. Joe to me made some angry mistakes against Ali in all three fights. He was real sharp in the FOTC but swung wilder than normal with some of those trademark hooks which tired him out toward the end of the fight and also got him counterpunched by Ali several times.

Re: Boxers who fought well when angry

Zorro
Phantom Punch wrote
I beg the differ about Smokin Joe. I think his best performances were against Foster and Ellis although he had a slow start with Ellis. Joe to me made some angry mistakes against Ali in all three fights. He was real sharp in the FOTC but swung wilder than normal with some of those trademark hooks which tired him out toward the end of the fight and also got him counterpunched by Ali several times.
Joe was literally praying to kill Muhammad Ali in the dressing room before the Fight of The Century. His hatred of that man was that deep.

Joe might have been wild at times but considering his hatred and contempt for Ali I'd say he fought brilliantly for a man full of such emotion.

But most times men lose their composure when angry. Evander and Tyson were both extremely angry after the two bites and threw wild punches that didn't connect. They were fighting on pure emotion. Neither was focused or thinking straight.

Re: Boxers who fought well when angry

Good topic. Most boxers advise to keep your cool at all costs so you don't lose your focus. This worked really well for Holyfield, and badly for Tyson during their bouts. In Tyson vs Berbick, anger may have help Tyson punish Berbick, but prime Tyson was already a league or two better than mid-sized Berbick. Generally, I agree, most boxers did not improve with anger like the Hulk. Ali got mad in Ali vs Wepner, but that didn't make him better. He was going to win regardless. Ali may have also gotten mad in one of his fights against Liston, but again, that just made it poetic when he won, rather than upping his skills.

Jack Johnson vs Ketchel was a famous exhibition fight where both guys were supposed to clown around and have fun. Ketchel suddenly switched to "real fight" mode and floored Johnson which put him on the canvas. Not a wise thing to do to a heavyweight, if you're a middle-weight. Not happy about this, Johnson returned the favor gloriously, and knocked Ketchel out cold. And I mean cold! I believe he may have even knocked his tooth out. Here's the clip:

and here's the fight in it's entirety:

Re: Boxers who fought well when angry

Yeah, Jack understandably got plenty mad there. Normally he didn’t slug like that. He put everything he had behind that punch, even collapsing with it.

Re: Boxers who fought well when angry

Big Red
My gawd Sonny Liston had a temper. So did Tyson. So did Marciano too! I think their temperament is what made them great boxers; it's a great outlet for aggression.

Here's a guy who was angry in many of his bouts but you probably didn't realize it - Larry Holmes. I know he was irate during that racist Cooney fight but you'd never know that by the way he boxed. Larry kept good focus in there, better than a lot of guys.