Brawl For All in WWF (Turning Wrestlers into MMA Fighters)

Brawl For All in WWF (Turning Wrestlers into MMA Fighters)

According to Wiki,

The WWF Brawl for All was a shootfighting tournament held in the World Wrestling Federation that lasted from June 29, 1998 to August 24, 1998. The tournament, which resulted in a number of legitimate injuries for WWF performers, was received negatively by fans and industry figures.

Bart Gunn vs Bradshaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9JOEYxwwbk

The Winner of Match fought Butterbean, Pro Boxer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S652hvQaWfY

No wonder wrestlers should stick to their wrestling. Boxing is different thing to them.

According to Wiki,

Fans in attendance instantly voiced their disapproval of the tournament. Chants of "Boring!" and "We want wrestling!" were audible during the segments.

The tournament resulted in a number of legitimate injuries -- Steve Blackman and Road Warrior Hawk were unable to work in usual WWF capacities for a while after. Savio Vega aggravated an old arm injury and would never work for WWF again.

Jim Cornette has described the tournament as "the stupidest thing that the WWF has ever done". He argues that the WWF misjudged the appeal that legitimate fighting would have to their audience, considering that the WWF had aggressively promoted the idea that their matches were "sports entertainment" with scripted finishes.

Furthermore, because the fighters were trained to work professional wrestling matches and not to fight, they risked both injury and the possibility that a defeat would hurt their marketability.

Cornette also criticized the WWF for failing to use the tournament to promote Bart Gunn as a new star wrestler.

And people will only remember Bart Gunn being KO by Butterbean.

Re: Brawl For All in WWF (Turning Wrestlers into MMA Fighters)

No disrespect to wrestlers but there's a huge difference between professionally trained fighters and professionally trained wrestlers. I've seen some clips of the Brawl for All and it was OK at best. I saw the Godfather get KO'd by Bart Gunn. Godfather had the tools to win...a long jab, etc. But he didn't use it enough and had no idea how to counter. It quickly turned into a slugfest and Gunn knocked him out.

Re: Brawl For All in WWF (Turning Wrestlers into MMA Fighters)

Re: Brawl For All in WWF (Turning Wrestlers into MMA Fighters)

Unfortunately Ann Wolfe wasn't boxing professionally at that time. That would've been a good opportunity to bring her in and have her box Bart Gunn.

Re: Brawl For All in WWF (Turning Wrestlers into MMA Fighters)

LOL, Bradshaw can't box for real. I can't stop laughing, when I watched he fought Bart Gunn.

This is why WWE must stick to their entertainment, instead of real fights.

WWF also want Steve Williams to win Brawl For All, to follow their story line.

Things changed when Bart Gunn KO Steve Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzMVs3baUrQ

WWF used Bart Gunn to fight Butterbean, instead to promote him to the Main Event.