Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Will69
Yes, boxers, especially well known ones, must get that all the time.  Imagine going to a club, restaurant, or even a mall, and other guys are always sizing you up and trying to start an incident.  They would have nothing to lose, because if they hurt you, they would be saying I beat up a champ!  And if they get even slightly hurt, it can go to court and cost you money!   ...And imagine if a boxer spends time in jail, the harassment and baiting must be 100x worse!

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Rocky did not talk that high, but it is funny.
Sure he did. Listen to his interview after he cracked Walcott for the title. He's almost talking in a falsetto!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKPg7gXtW4

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

It's Dale
Rocky had the highest voice among his male siblings but they all sound kind of similar.

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

My dad met Sonny Liston a couple of times and they were quite friendly. Police used to harass Sonny but I don't think that many ordinary guys tested Sonny in public the way they do other champs. Sonny had that mean glare all the time, and was even bigger in person than on film.

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

My dad met Sonny Liston a couple of times and they were quite friendly. Police used to harass Sonny but I don't think that many ordinary guys tested Sonny in public the way they do other champs. Sonny had that mean glare all the time, and was even bigger in person than on film.
Your dad met Sonny? Cool. Any antedotes to share?

As for Rocky's voice, he may have been a good singer with that high range. He may sound like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLEcNjJerjM

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

OK, you are right Evan.
I recall his voice deeper later, like when interviewing Moore long after they retired.  Still not low, but it must have deepened a bit over the years, like with Tyson.

Joining the video in the 11th round, it is notable that the announcer was talking about Walcott maybe finishing Rocky off.  and how sudden & unexpected the Ko was-Walcott was trying to stay away, but was somewhat more ahead than "a hair" Rocky spoke about after the fight.

Walcott was maybe as good as ever in that bout, though maybe if younger he would have been fresher & able to surivive & win.
Thouggh Marciano's peak was after this contest, so I still pick him head to head.
As he aged, Rocky lost his high voice along with his hair. lol.

When was Rocky's peak? I'm not really quite sure what his best performance/ring years were.

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

RIP to Burt Reynolds. Of course he exaggerated Rocky's voice a bit for comic effect, but he's right in the sense that Rocky's voice was piping.

As far as Rocky's peak, I'd say it was between the Walcott rematch and the Ezzard Charles fights. IMO Rocky's best performances were against Harry Matthews (look at the decapitating double left hook he knocked him out with) and the rematch with Roland LaStarza. I think the Ezzard Charles wars took something out of Rocky. He was still good afterward but showing signs of declining by the time he got to Cockell and Moore.

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Leo the Lion
Id shit my pants if i had to share a ring with Liston, Holy crap... I bet he was a nice guy once you got to know him though. Guy had his intent written all over his face. Unabashed and unapologetic intimidation
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs

I lOOOOVE Ezzard. What a warrior man. I think so too. He was a real early day Holy
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Rocky’s voice was noticeably very high here...you can hear why folks joked about it. See how long you can go without chuckling.

https://youtu.be/hdZZMMPC6vg

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Rocky’s voice was noticeably very high here...you can hear why folks joked about it. See how long you can go without chuckling.

https://youtu.be/hdZZMMPC6vg
I didn't last long before my first chuckle. lol. He sounds like a cartoon character. It's a shame he didn't do voiceover work post-boxing.

High voice or not, Rocky just doesn't seem like the kind of guy you'd want to mess with. He was small so I'll bet a lot of idiots did indeed size him up and challenge him. The situation was probably made worse because there were no giants around during Rocky's championship days, so some figured maybe a real big guy could use his size to beat Rocky.

I read a story that Sonny Liston was taunting Rocky and Rocky tried his best to get at him and both of their handlers pulled them apart. If they actually fought, I do pick Liston to beat The Rock by knockout or TKO. But having said that, if Rocky had landed first on Liston in a fight outside the ring, I wouldn't be surprised if Liston would back down afterward.

Re: Burt Reynolds tells a story about Rocky Marciano's high voice!

Rocky’s voice was noticeably very high here...you can hear why folks joked about it. See how long you can go without chuckling.

https://youtu.be/hdZZMMPC6vg
Re-quoting this clip so Entaowed can see it..