Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

Friday The 13th...
I see blood around the nose of Clay. The film's in black and white so the detail isn't hot. Did Henry bust Clay up or is this some type of glitch in the film quality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hwn2mqNI1I

Re: Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

Sivul
Good call. Ali was definitely bleeding. You see it clearly around 2:34.

It's obvious he's blooding because not only do you see it but he repeatedly tries to rub it off with his glove and tries to wipe it across Henry's shoulder at one point.

But if it was a nose bleed from a punch, why didn't it keep pouring for the rest of the round until Ali's corner could fix it? This makes me think it may have been a random nose bleed, not blood from anything Cooper did. But Cooper did land some hard hooks up close prior to the bleeding, so I'm not sure.

Re: Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

Hit Em' Hard
This was a young Cassius Clay who was easier to find and hit. His reflexes and defensive skills were not would they would be later. Henry caught Clay several times here but couldn't do it in their rematch when Ali was prime.

Re: Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

It's Dale
Hit Em' Hard wrote
This was a young Cassius Clay who was easier to find and hit. His reflexes and defensive skills were not would they would be later. Henry caught Clay several times here but couldn't do it in their rematch when Ali was prime.
Not exactly. Was he suddenly prime in his next fight against Sonny Liston months later? Henry Cooper was just a better boxer than given credit for. It wasn't luck that he caught Ali with that bombastic left hook. He actually timed him and cornered him before landing that punch. Henry was a thinking fighter with a big punch.

Re: Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

Rosco
Good shit. Never realized this.

I think Henry got lucky. Muhammad predicted a 5th round stoppage and was wasting time dancing around the ring to make his prediction come true. He just happened to find himself cornered and Henry threw the punch at the right time. Careless mistake on Ali's part and he never made it again against Henry in two fights.

Re: Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

Left Hook From Hell...
Here's the actual torn glove from this fight. Angelo ripped it good!

FYI, This was on display at Muhammad's exhibit at the 02 last year. It's legit.

Re: Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

Phantom Punch
Yeah. Angelo fucked that glove up pretty bad. Anything to buy his fighter some time. I do feel bad for Henry Cooper there, tho. I mean, bad luck just plain took over. The ropes broke Ali's fall, then the bell rang, and then Dundee ripping the glove and reviving Ali with smelling salts. Lady luck just was not available for Henry Cooper that night.

But maybe this was a lesson to young Ali because it was apparent to me that he could have beaten Cooper a few rounds prior. He was just wasting time to make his round prediction come true.

Re: Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

It's Dale wrote
Hit Em' Hard wrote
This was a young Cassius Clay who was easier to find and hit. His reflexes and defensive skills were not would they would be later. Henry caught Clay several times here but couldn't do it in their rematch when Ali was prime.
Not exactly. Was he suddenly prime in his next fight against Sonny Liston months later? Henry Cooper was just a better boxer than given credit for. It wasn't luck that he caught Ali with that bombastic left hook. He actually timed him and cornered him before landing that punch. Henry was a thinking fighter with a big punch.
I think you’re both right. Ali had improved tremendously in the months between Cooper and Liston. It’s amazing how often Cooper caught him and even bloodied his nose.

But then again, Liston and Cooper couldn’t be more different fighters other than sharing dynamite left hooks. Sonny had long arms and had to lung in, which made him more predictable and easier for Clay to time.

Henry Cooper wasn’t exactly an inside fighter but he had to cut the ring and generally didn’t punch until he was within his punching range. Liston threw looping, desperate haymakers which tired him greatly and Ali saw them coming a mile away. Cooper didn’t really press the attack until he was close enough. Ali wasn’t used to people getting inside on him (especially back then) and Cooper timed it perfectly, slinging his hook at the perfect time. Ali had no escape route and his hands were down. You couldn’t pray for a more perfect opening.

If only the bell hadn’t rang and the ropes didn’t break Clay’s fall. I wonder if Cooper could have finished him? How different boxing history would have been if he had done so.

Re: Cassuis Clay bleeding against Henry Cooper?

Joe Kingman
[...]

Awesome post. I think you summed it up perfectly.

I didn't even notice that Henry had Clay bleeding until I saw the Facing Ali documentary.

Henry Cooper doesn't strike me as a good finisher - with his left hook he was more of a one-punch finisher. BAM! and you're dead. Someone like Louis, Tyson or Foreman would have absolutely finished this inexperienced version of Ali.

I'd pay to see 21 year-old Mike Tyson versus this 21 year-old version of Ali/Clay. Tyson peaked during the ages of 20-21 but Clay hadn't had his style down pat yet. This is probably the only version of Ali I could imagine Tyson destroying.

-Joe Kingman