Chris Byrd or Michael Moorer?

Both were great light heavyweights and became southpaw heavyweight champions. Who was better? Who should rank higher?

With all due respect to Double M, I say Byrd; much better chin and a very tricky and charismatic fighter. Byrd almost always fought with a lot of spirit and wanted to make a statement. Moorer generally just fought as if he were going through the motions, even when he won his first heavyweight championship in ‘94 against Holyfield.

Moorer was never the same after the Foreman knockout, and the 30-second knockout loss to David Tua finished him off for keeps.

Ironically though, Moorer’s best performances to me were his fights with Foreman and the rematch with Holyfield. He lost those fights but fought really well until he was stopped.

Re: Chris Byrd or Michael Moorer?

Zombies Ate Me
I think Moorer had the better boxing skill, but yet CB was more durable, if that makes sense? CB was more elusive and akward to fight but had a much better chin than MM, but MM was the better fighter and punched harder.

Re: Chris Byrd or Michael Moorer?

Shane
If they switched careers and fought the same guys, I can't imagine Bryd getting KO'd by old Foreman, and Bryd DID beat Tua, something Moorer could not do. He only lasted 30 seconds. Michael is only more reverd in a sense that he opened the door for other southpaws like Byrd, but Bryd was better and beat better guys.

Re: Chris Byrd or Michael Moorer?

Shogun of Harlem
Tua and Holyfield are the only mutual opponents that spring to mind. Chris beat prime Tua easily, yet MM didn't make it 30 seconds. MM beat an injured Holyfield the first time but was destroyed in the rematch. Chris beat up an ancient Holyfield approaching 40 years old. But Chris would probably always frustrate the real deal, though he may drop a decision to the younger version.

The Brydman was just plain better than Double M, but hey. MM was arguably one of the best light heavyweights of all time. But at heavyweight Chris was better.

Re: Chris Byrd or Michael Moorer?

Evolution
Shogun of Harlem wrote
MM was arguably one of the best light heavyweights of all time. But at heavyweight Chris was better.
Chris was miles better at heavyweight. I agree with your assessment.

Re: Chris Byrd or Michael Moorer?

I don't see Chris getting outsmarted and kayod by Foreman the way Moorer was. Chris would have kept moving. In fact, George had the chance to fight Chris Byrd but picked Shannon Briggs instead. He knew Byrd was a bad matchup for him. And even when Foreman lands, Byrd would be able to take it. He took a punch really well for a small guy.