Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Evan Fields
He said this when getting his dreads cut off in this video. Is it considered cheating to have your hair cushion blows? I don't know much about dreadlocks but how much padding can they provide?

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Evan Fields wrote
He said this when getting his dreads cut off in this video. Is it considered cheating to have your hair cushion blows? I don't know much about dreadlocks but how much padding can they provide?
Naw man. I don't think dreads cushion you like you think. Maybe the big knotty ones like Bob Marley. But Chris' hair was much thinner than that...

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Evolution
Lennox told me once that his dreadlocks padded him from attacks sometimes but not often. Think about it; when you get punched you generally get hit on the chin, the jaw, the eye, etc; not in the hair! Maybe the dreads will protect you from rabbit punches to the back of the head but little more.

Lennox said he wore them up in a bun so no one could pull his hair in a fight, which Rahman tried.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Chris' dreads did nothing to protect him from the bombs Wladimir cracked him with!

I have dreads myself and they're soft and thin. But when you braid them up the way guys like Lewis, Byrd and Briggs did, they are much thicker and can cushion you a bit.

Lewis said in this interview that his dreads cushioned him when he hit the ground against Rahman.

"Against Rahman, that was bad because the way I landed -- hard onto my back -- I was fortunate to have had my hair tied into a bun," Lewis said. "If I wouldn't have done that," Lewis said, " then it wouldn't have cushioned my head when it hit the ground."

He also said in this article that he pinned his hair up so Mike Tyson couldn't pull it. lol.

"I'm going to insist that he has a big lunch and a big dinner before he steps into that ring," said Lewis, who wears dreadlocks. "But I don't know what else he can do. I'm going to have my hair pinned up so he can't pull on it. I think biting is one of the worst things you can do."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2002-06-08/sports/0206080198_1_tyson-lewis-ring

Thanks for your information. What do you mean by "braided up?" And do dreads cushion you enough to make a difference?

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Evan Fields wrote
Thanks for your information. What do you mean by "braided up?" And do dreads cushion you enough to make a difference?
Dreads don't make you invincible to knockouts but they make a difference. You're much more cushioned if you have dreads versus a bald head or short haircut.

Those men I mentioned used to braid their hair on fight night. This is what made their hair thicker and padded their skulls a bit.

Here's Lennox's hair looking regular

And here it is braided to his scalp, which makes it thicker and cushions against blows to that area.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Evan Fields
Interesting. Thanks. Who knew hair could be used as armor? lol.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Westmoreland
Sounds like cheating to me..

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Zorro
Beth wrote
Sounds like cheating to me..
Dreads are not a style I like much but I do like AJ's and some others. I like when they're neat and clean.

I don't think it's cheating perse. I mean Lennox had his in a big knot in the back of his head so no rabbit punch would work! You might hurt your hand punching that thing,

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Westmoreland
Maybe. But what I find suspicious is that all the guys named here (Byrd, Lewis, Briggs) wore their dreads as boxers but shaved them off after retirement. Sounds to me like they deliberately used them as skull padding.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Rosco
Beth wrote
Lennox is a rasta so thats the reason he grew dreadlocks. I don't know why the others wore them though.

You sound like a conspiracy theorist! lol.  I think it was just a fad hairstyle for Chris Byrd. I was surprised to see Shannon and Lennox cut theirs. They both had dreads for over 20 years.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

And here it is braided to his scalp, which makes it thicker and cushions against blows to that area.

They look tough and jagged. Definitely protects the scalp from blows...

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

I really don't think it matters that much. I'd say it offers less protection than headgear. But remember also that these guys had long hair so braiding and pinning them back kept their hair out of the way.

Remember the horrible Paulie Malignaggi incident? His trainers shaved his braids off in-between rounds. And the worse part about it was that unlike these other guys, Paulie was wearing extentions!

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Speaking of hair....lol!

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

I really don't think it matters that much. I'd say it offers less protection than headgear. But remember also that these guys had long hair so braiding and pinning them back kept their hair out of the way.

Remember the horrible Paulie Malignaggi incident? His trainers shaved his braids off in-between rounds. And the worse part about it was that unlike these other guys, Paulie was wearing extentions!

This fight was a damn farce. I question Paulie's thinking on that one.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Rosco
I had dreads before but I didn't let them get long like Duggerman and others. I only had them less than a year.  But I don't think they make a difference in a fight. All the guys with dreads got knocked out brutally and some more than once.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Beth wrote
Maybe. But what I find suspicious is that all the guys named here (Byrd, Lewis, Briggs) wore their dreads as boxers but shaved them off after retirement. Sounds to me like they deliberately used them as skull padding.
I could see why you say that, as they each shaved their heads after they hung up the gloves. But I think it was a coincidence. Dreads were a popular hairstyle during their era.

It's like you saying that Tommy Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard cheated during their careers by wearing jheri curls just to cut them off after retirement.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Beth wrote
Maybe. But what I find suspicious is that all the guys named here (Byrd, Lewis, Briggs) wore their dreads as boxers but shaved them off after retirement. Sounds to me like they deliberately used them as skull padding.
They shaved them because the dreads were making them go bald. Look at Lennox before he shaved it off.

And Chris said at the beginning of the video, "I already got a forehead, I don't need a 5 head."
12