Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Friday The 13th...
Zombies Ate Me wrote
They shaved them because the dreads were making them go bald. Look at Lennox before he shaved it off.

Wow. I didn't know it had gotten that bad. Are you sure it was the hairstyle that did it? He was getting older and already had gray hair shortly after he hung up the gloves. He was 39 or so when he retired.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Friday The 13th... wrote
Wow. I didn't know it had gotten that bad. Are you sure it was the hairstyle that did it? He was getting older and already had gray hair shortly after he hung up the gloves. He was 39 or so when he retired.
I think he was going bald anyway. But there is the possibility that his dreads aided his balding.

Lennox wore those buns too much. Every once in a while is cool but he wore it every fight. That's so much pressure on your roots.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Left Hook From Hell...
This is kind of off topic but it involves the topic of dreads and sports - do ya'll think it should be legal to pull an NFL player by his dreads? It happens all the time. Here are two BRUTAL hair take downs.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

RICKY TAN
Left Hook From Hell... wrote
This is kind of off topic but it involves the topic of dreads and sports - do ya'll think it should be legal to pull an NFL player by his dreads? It happens all the time. Here are two BRUTAL hair take downs.
It's not too off topic. To me its ironic that dreads are seen as cheating in boxing for cushioning blows but they're used against you in football.

Why do they wear it flowing free out of the helmets like Cher anyway? Why not wear a bun like Lennox did? Then no one could pull on it.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

49-0
The Governor wrote

Why do they wear it flowing free out of the helmets like Cher anyway?
lol! "Like Cher."

But that leads me to ask, whats so wrong with playing football with your hair flowing in the wind like Pocahontas?
Don

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Don
The hair doesn't make the man, the fighter makes the man.

Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky Marciano and so many others had great careers while wearing their hair short. I don't believe dreads protected anyone.

Chris even said himself that he had a better career before the dreadlocks. Maybe all that weight on his hair slowed him down.
ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

It's Dale
My brother cannot stand men who wear long hair. Our father's prejudiced ways got into his head at an early age, I guess. But me? I used to have long hair back in my day. I looked like a feisty hippy!

But if I played football during my hair days I would have (wisely) had it pulled back and under the helmet. I don't see the point in letting it all hang out so another strong man willing to score a takedown by any means will pull on it.

That's the reason why they don't allow men to have long hair in the military; someone could grab your hair from behind and slit your neck before you know what happens.

But as far as football goes, hair is a part of the body, not part of the uniform. You can't tackle someone from their nose, can you? The nose is just as much a part of the human body as your hair. So I don't think its fair to tackle someone by their hair.

In boxing dreads don't have anything to do with anything. Chris and Lennox said their dreads may cushion, but I don't think its enough to make a difference. Hell they were both KNOCKED OUT while wearing dreads! "Cushion" my foot!

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Joe Kingman
I never thought much of this. But I have a counter-argument. Chris didn't say it "cushioned the blows." He and his wife said the dreads "protected his brain." I can agree with that.

If Wladimir Klitschko lays into a punch, he's gonna knock you out! CB experienced that when he had his dreads. Hair can't save you from a beatdown. Boxing is a hurt business.

But those dreads being braided tight and thick on his head may have protected his brain a bit. I can see that.

As far as dreads in the NFL, I've tackled many a man by his dreads. Get a man down any way you can.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Sivul
I call B.S. You're supposed to hit a man on the chin, not in his hair. Anyone that goes for the hair is fighting like a bitch.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Sivul wrote
Anyone that goes for the hair is fighting like a bitch.
不不不不不

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

Joe Kingman wrote
As far as dreads in the NFL, I've tackled many a man by his dreads. Get a man down any way you can.
Can't you break someone's neck like that? The impact has to be terrible if you use someone's own momentum against them by yanking them furiously by their hair. The whiplash has to be awful. I've been growing my dreads for almost 12 years (They're down to my butt now) and when I see someone tackled by his dreads I can almost feel it. It hurts just to look at.

Re: Chris Byrd says his dreads used to cushion blows...

RICKY TAN wrote

Why do they wear it flowing free out of the helmets like Cher anyway? Why not wear a bun like Lennox did? Then no one could pull on it.
Vanity reasons, my friend. They want the world to see their hair flowing free in the wind from out of their helmets. Its a stunning visual.
12