Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

49-0
Do you agree with the computer's prediction that Rocky knocks out Muhammad Ali in the 13th round? I do. Ali himself said more than once that Rocky was better than Joe Frazier, who gave him hell. Rocky even injured Ali's ribs during the filming of the fight. I think the computer got it right.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Zorro
I think Rocky could get a decision over Ali just as Frazier did. I don't see anyone knocking out Muhammad Ali. If George Foreman and Earnie Shavers couldn't knock him out, I don't think Rocky could either. It would be a good fight. But I think Ali would win on cuts. His jab was so quick and accurate. Rocky's tender skin would be his downfall.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

49-0
Rocky would knock him out. Too much pressure. If Ali tried a rope-a-dope, Rocky would break his arms.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Maximillian
Rocky Marciano isn't stopping Muhammad Ali. Ali wins by late TKO. That damn computer was racist, yo.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Shane
Let's be objective here. Wasn't Rocky 46 years old at the time of the filming? And he still gave Muhammad Ali hell? And Ali was prime and in his late 20s. It's a no-brainer, especially since Rocky was a swarmer like Joe Frazier, but even more dangerous and more powerful.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

It's no coincidence that Frazier-Ali 1 played out just as the computer fight did. The only difference was that Frazier failed to score a knockout. He had Ali finished in the 11th round, but thought Ali was faking it, so he held back. He dropped Ali in the 15th round but was too tired to finish him by that point. Marciano had better stamina than Frazier, although it's a close race. I agree with the computer fight.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

49-0
Muhammad Ali was a sucker for left hooks to the body, one of the best punches in Rocky's repetoire.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Keep in mind that the same computer was later used to predict the fight between Joe Frazier and Bob Foster. The computer predicted that Foster would knock out Frazier in 5 rounds. Instead, this happened in the second round.

Photobucket

Despite this, I still think Marciano would have given Ali problems because of his style.

I remember that, AJ. the computer was never used again after such a failure.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Keep in mind that the same computer was later used to predict the fight between Joe Frazier and Bob Foster. The computer predicted that Foster would knock out Frazier in 5 rounds. Instead, this happened in the second round.

Photobucket
I rest my case.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

49-0
The Greatest wrote
I rest my case.
Wake it up. Ali would have to fight 3 minutes of every round against Marciano...something he never did!
No clowning...no Ali shuffle...no waving to the crowd..Ali would be in for the fight of his life.
Marciano gave you everything he had for all 3 minutes of every round. Pressure..pressure...pressure...Ali said that Rocky hurt him during the filming of the Superfight in Summer 1969..he also said that Marciano was harder to hit then he thought.
Marciano was also tough mentally..no headgames with The Rock....Rocky hurt you no matter where he hit you..he broke bones and blood vessels....nearly killed Carmine Vingo in 1949...SI said of Marciano.."He hurt you constantly...he never sought refuge in a clinch..it must have been a hellish experience to have to fight him!" Rocky had no concept of pain...as writer Everett Skehan said"He was the fiercest...most determined and relentless fighter that ever lived!"....You don't beat a fighter like a prime Marciano with a left jab....this has always been my "Dream Fight"....if anyone beats Ali over 15 rounds..it's The Rock with his heart....will to win..power...chin....stamina...and conditioning..and his "kill or be killed" attitude.....I'll take Marciano

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Evan Fields
The Rock has never seen this. I know the ending but from the reviews I've heard it was a good fight. Weren't there different endings? I heard that Rocky won in American and Ali won in Europe.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Maximillian
Rocky might have beat me but he still ain't as pretty as me.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Evolution
I disagree with the ending of this fight. I always have. No way does Rocky knock out Muhammad Ali. Muhammad Ali? He who survived big punches from George Foreman? Joe Frazier? Earnie Shavers? Ron Lyle? The same Ali that fought with a broken jaw against Ken Norton? Rocky had cracking power but if those men couldn't stop Ali then Rocky isn't either.

Rocky never fought someone as athletically gifted and mobile as Muhammad Ali. Ali would make Rocky look awkward and win by late ko or TKO on cuts.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

I disagree with the ending of this fight. I always have. No way does Rocky knock out Muhammad Ali. Muhammad Ali? He who survived big punches from George Foreman? Joe Frazier? Earnie Shavers? Ron Lyle? The same Ali that fought with a broken jaw against Ken Norton? Rocky had cracking power but if those men couldn't stop Ali then Rocky isn't either.

Rocky never fought someone as athletically gifted and mobile as Muhammad Ali. Ali would make Rocky look awkward and win by late ko or TKO on cuts.
Muhammad never fought someone as ruthless and tough as Rocky Marciano either. The closest he came was Joe Frazier, and Ali admitted several times that Marciano was better than Joe Frazier. At 46 years old, Rocky Marciano was old and fat but still bossed around a fit 29 year-old Muhammad Ali in 1969, even bruising his ribs. That says it all.

Speaking of the computer fight, here are some pics. Watch Marciano take a big uppercut from Ali. (Rocky had a great chin).

And here is one of Rocky's punches that constantly gave Ali hell and bruised his ribs--the left hook to the body.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Evolution
<quote author="49-0">
Evolution wrote

I like those pics. Most men would be on the floor after taking an uppercut like that.

I just don't see Rocky beating Muhammad Ali. The closest fighter to Ali that Rocky fought was Jersey Joe Walcott. Rocky had serious problems with Jersey Joe's constant movement and misdirection. Muhammad Ali was faster than Walcott, had more muscle, a quicker jab and faster reflexes. Another difference between the two is that Joe Walcott would sometimes stop moving to slug with you, something Muhammad very rarely did. Muhammad stayed on his bicycle. When he did plant his feet and throw punches he would be out of harm's way before you could pay him back. Muhammad was light years ahead of Rocky and even if Rocky caught him with good shots, he had the chin to shake it off and keep moving.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Here's the ending of the superfight for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7AdaM2bCWI

Ali talks about Marciano here, recalling how hard Rocky punched and how he was better than Joe Frazier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaw2QFC1Qg&feature=related

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

The Gr8 One wrote
Weren't there different endings? I heard that Rocky won in American and Ali won in Europe.
Rocky knocked out Muhammad Ali in the 13th round. I believe this was the official result.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

Urban Legend wrote
The Gr8 One wrote
You're right. But there was a point in the fight when it looked like Chris Dundee (the referee and brother of Angelo Dundee) would stop the fight because of Rocky's cuts. A devious reporter got a hold of the film and stopped it right at that point and said that Ali won the fight by TKO. He released this "version" of the fight illegally and it went to England, where everyone thought Ali won by TKO. They talk about this on the DVD extras.

Re: Computer Fight: Marciano KOs Ali

I like those pics. Most men would be on the floor after taking an uppercut like that.

I just don't see Rocky beating Muhammad Ali. The closest fighter to Ali that Rocky fought was Jersey Joe Walcott. Rocky had serious problems with Jersey Joe's constant movement and misdirection. Muhammad Ali was faster than Walcott, had more muscle, a quicker jab and faster reflexes. Another difference between the two is that Joe Walcott would sometimes stop moving to slug with you, something Muhammad very rarely did. Muhammad stayed on his bicycle. When he did plant his feet and throw punches he would be out of harm's way before you could pay him back. Muhammad was light years ahead of Rocky and even if Rocky caught him with good shots, he had the chin to shake it off and keep moving.
Ali couldn't do anything with Joe Frazier in the FOTC back in March 1971...that's why he fucked around on the ropes...waved to the crowd...shook his head"no" when Joe hit him with a good shot...Marciano just kept on coming...power in both hands...great heart...chin...tons of stamina..."kill or be killed" attitude...high workrate...hurt you no matter where he hit you...pain meant nothing to him...tough mentally...Ali's head games wouldn't work on Marciano...fearless...broke bones and blood vessels...Ali would have to fight 3 minutes of every round against Marciano...something he never did...Rocky never took any rounds off...tough to beat a fighter like The Rock with a left jab...Ali had as tough time with Rocky during the computer fight in Miami in August 1969...shortly before Rocky was killed in a plane crash...
123