Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Zorro
I was reading the "Shattered Glass" thread and it reminded me of the TNR scandal. Today could Stephen fool people so easily? Would it make it harder or easier in this day and age?

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Yes and no. He could easily create fake twitter and facebook accounts for his "sources." This would be easier than using emails, which would close after an amount of time. But if he was suspected of fraud, all one would have to do is check the IP addresses.

Same thing goes for pictures. TNR did not use pictures in the magazine, so Steve did not have to worry about getting photos of his sources. If writing today, he might sneakily steal pics of random people from google or other sites and use them as his sources, but if you do a google search of the picture, it'll come up. So that wouldn't work either.

Interesting question. He might have an easier time, but he'd still get caught if someone was suspicious enough.

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Zorro
I think it may have been easier and more convincing for him. Today it's far easier to create fake websites and things, no?

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Becky
He could still be caught but there would be less reason to suspect. Almost everyone is on social media these days.

What really gave Steve away was the amateurish website and business card. Having his brother pose as George Sims gave the story some credibility, but overall Steve used too much 'evidence.'

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

South Pacific
Who is Stephen Glass?

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Becky
This post was updated on .
South Pacific wrote
Who is Stephen Glass?
He was a sociopath liar. He was a journalist that created fake news stories. He also created fake websites, business cards, etc to make his stories and the people in them seem legit. He fooled his editors and readers for years. Shame. He would have been a great fiction writer.

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Becky

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Phantom Punch
We watched Shattered Glass in college in my journalism class. It definitely scared us from what not to do in journalism. Stephen went through a lot of work doing this stuff. Wouldn't it just be easier to write the truth? It took a lot of effort to cheat. Were any of his stories completely true?

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Phantom Punch wrote
We watched Shattered Glass in college in my journalism class. It definitely scared us from what not to do in journalism. Stephen went through a lot of work doing this stuff. Wouldn't it just be easier to write the truth? It took a lot of effort to cheat. Were any of his stories completely true?
Some of his stories were all true, though obviously there were fabrications in most of them. Some stories were true with fabrications interwoven here or there, which made it more difficult to detect. This one is an example.

You can see that there are some things that can't be verified. And some articles, like Hack Heaven, was all from Stephen's creative imagination.

"Show me the money! Show me the money!"

"THE BIG BAD BIONIC BOY HAS BEEN HERE BABY!!"

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

49-0
So was he really a genius doing this or was it just dumb luck?

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

BIG BAD BIONIC BOY
The thing about it is this - He would be easier to catch in some ways, but it would be less likely that someone would suspect him of frauding. You'd have to have a damn good reason to suspect him of making a hoax.

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

BIG BAD BIONIC BOY wrote
The thing about it is this - He would be easier to catch in some ways, but it would be less likely that someone would suspect him of frauding. You'd have to have a damn good reason to suspect him of making a hoax.
Yeah. Overall I think it'd be easier for him because almost everyone is on social media.

BUT, if someone got suspicious of him, all they'd have to do is upload the source's picture into a google search. And if it pops up under someone else's name, then Stephen is caught instantly. That's how they catch the dating scammers on the MTV show Catfish.

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

BIG BAD BIONIC BOY
Overall it would be less work for him to cheat. Makes me wonder if there's another Stephen Glass out there using social media to his advantage but hasn't been caught yet?

It's possible.

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

Here's a great article about this topic. It says Stephen may be in demand if he did this now, and how online trolls fake the news and manipulate things but they lack writing talent.

http://casaveneracion.com/shattered-glass-fake-news-writing-revisited/

Re: Could Stephen Glass pull off those tricks today?

BIG BAD BIONIC BOY
There are some great observations in this article. It's such a shame because Stephen was a gifted writer He had so much imagination. I'm surprised he didn't cash in on his gift and write for the onion or do movie scripts or something.