David Tua's style

Rosco
I've heard many people compare him to Tyson. Others say Rocky Marciano and some say Joe Frazier. In your mind who did Tua copy?

Whose style did Tua jack?

Re: David Tua's style

Tua's early knockouts, especially the brutal ones over former champs John Ruiz and Michael Moorer scream Mike Tyson.

Tua was a poor man's Mike Tyson however he favored the left hook like Joe Frazier.

Re: David Tua's style

Re: David Tua's style

Tua's early knockouts, especially the brutal ones over former champs John Ruiz and Michael Moorer scream Mike Tyson.

Tua was a poor man's Mike Tyson however he favored the left hook like Joe Frazier.
Yeah. I say Tyson too.

Re: David Tua's style

Yeah. I say Tyson too.
I've always thought so. David's original trainer Lou Duva used to always say that he patterned the young Samoan after his "friend" Rocky Marciano. But I really don't see much Marciano in Tua. He definitely reminds me of Tyson because of the stocky build, jab and exploding left hook. He even used Tyson and Patterson's Gazelle Punch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also, the way Tua threw uppercuts as his opponent slumped down and ended fights early, I gotta compare him to Iron Mike above anyone else.

Re: David Tua's style

Brooklyn's Finest
Duggerman you're making sense but I say Joe Frazier. David had a left hook-oriented style. Everything was based around landing that punch. He's sandwiched between Mike and Joe because he didn't throw as much as Joe but he threw more than Tyson. He's in the grey area.

Re: David Tua's style

Shogun of Harlem
Wasn't the peekaboo based around the left hook also? In any case Tua attempted to be the samoan Mike Tyson. But he did have something Tyson lacked which was late round knockout abilities.

Re: David Tua's style

Shogun of Harlem wrote
Wasn't the peekaboo based around the left hook also?
Yes it was, but Patterson and Tyson didn't neglect other punches. Still, the style is centered around countering with the left hook.

Even the commentators here criticized Tua for his determination to end the fight with a left hook. He could have knocked the guy out sooner but wanted nothing but his vaunted left to end the fight. It's still a quick fight, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG6GVh-pUqs

Re: David Tua's style

MAGUIRE
David had a modified version of Mike's explosive style with Joe Frazier's left hook. He lacked Mike's head movement but he was less prone to throw elbows.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: David Tua's style

Rosco
So i guess the consensus here is David was a Mike Tyson protege with a left hook fetish?

Re: David Tua's style

Rosco wrote
So i guess the consensus here is David was a Mike Tyson protege with a left hook fetish?
I have David's fight collection on DVD and in many of his early post-fight interviews, Lou Duva would compare David's style to his "close, personal friend" Rocky Marciano. Creating a new Marciano was certainly Lou's intention. Obviously he failed.

Re: David Tua's style

In some ways David Tua was better than Mike Tyson when you think about it. This may be an unpopular post but its true. Tuaman had a better chin than Mike and late knockout power. Better stamina too. He beat better competition too. He did lose to Lewis and Byrd but he did knock out four former champions. Only one (Michael Moorer) was past his prime and Tua beats the prime version too. I'm not saying that Tua was better than Mike overall but in some ways he was a bit better.

Re: David Tua's style

Entaowed
Both lost some big fights, & Tua never ascended to the top level despite fractured titles & a bunch of shots.  Did he beat better competition?  We have talked about this at length here, I had linked a 24 hour boxing thread that described how good 80's Tyson competition was, many had not lost for years before or after they fought him.  Overall they were at least as good, likely a bit better, than prime Ali'
s competition, & not bad for a HW champion.

I AGREE with you re: stamina, at leats late KO power, & chin (though prime chins are close).
Tua was a physical Force, though Tyson was much faster.
Given his better boxing skills, combinations & accuracy Tyson was significantly better.

Re: David Tua's style

Alexander
Rocky Marciano.
Good stamina and late knockout power.
Granite chin.
He just lacked Rocky's heart and determination and preferred the left hook over the right.

Re: David Tua's style

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also, the way Tua threw uppercuts as his opponent slumped down and ended fights early, I gotta compare him to Iron Mike above anyone else.
He didn't use the peekaboo style, only borrowing the exploding leaping left hook. That, and the uppercut, are the only comparisons I can make to Mike Tyson. But at the same time I can't compare him to great fighters like Marciano and Frazier either.

If forced to vote I'm voting Jack Dempsey for the simple fact that Dempsey's favorite punch was the left hook and he was prone (like Tua) to get outboxed easily. Tua and Dempsey both were easy to outbox and had to struggle more to knock out or beat the classic boxers they fought. Watching Gene Tunney and George Carpentier fight Dempsey was the same as seeing Chris Byrd, Oleg Maskaev and Lennox Lewis fight Tua. Tua and Dempsey had the same weaknesses only Jack was more aggressive but Tua had the better stamina.

Re: David Tua's style

Evolution
I have to say he's a left hook conscious Rocky Marciano but not as good. He's a great guy and I hate critiquing him but I'm comparing him to Rocky because they both kept coming in and were willing to trade and give.

The difference being that Rocky was a better swarmer and more aggressive. Same style though. Tough short compact swarming slugger who keeps moving forward throwing punches and can't be deterred.

Re: David Tua's style

Mike Tyson easily. Come on guys. His resemblance to Mike is the reason why he sparred with guys like Golota and Holyfield to get them ready for Mike. Emanuel Steward called David the samoan Mike Tyson at one point too.

Re: David Tua's style

George Jefferson
Rocky Marciano. Lou Duva said that he trained David to fight like Rocky. Evolution sparred with Tua and said Tua didn't like throwing the right hand because he didn't have the best balance with it, so that explains why he favored the left hook. I see a lot of Rocky in David's style but his left hook was inspired by peekaboo fighters like Tyson and Patterson for sure.

Re: David Tua's style

Brooklyn's Finest
I ran into David several times when he was boxing and he did mention more than once that he loved Mike Tyson. Take that for what its worth, but to me he fought more like Frazier.

Evolution did David ever tell you who inspired him the most?

Re: David Tua's style

redfeng007
I wonder did David Tua met Tyson in person?
12