David Tua's style

Re: David Tua's style

Hit Em' Hard
While it's nice of some of you to compare David to legends like Rocky Marciano and Joe Frazier, the man copied Mike Tyson the same way Justin Timberlake tries to copy Michael Jackson..its a pale imitation of the (much better) original.

redfeng007 wrote
I wonder did David Tua met Tyson in person?
I'm certain they met. All the great boxers know each other. I'm sure Brooklyn's Finest and Evolution have info on that seeing as they know both of them.

Re: David Tua's style

Evolution
Hit Em' Hard wrote
I'm certain they met. All the great boxers know each other. I'm sure Brooklyn's Finest and Evolution have info on that seeing as they know both of them.
Yes. You'd be surprised who hangs out with who. Not everyone likes to be photographed every second of the day and during the '90s when both Mike and Dave were active the internet and media wasn't as fast as it is today. No cell phones to take pictures or record videos. Visits could be private.

Mike came to see Dave train for the Lennox Lewis fight. That's one of many instances where they met. I remember Dave having a lot of respect for Mike but I don't recall him citing Mike as an influence. Kevin Barry used to always compare Dave's left to Joe Frazier. When I talk to Dave again I'll ask him and report here.

Re: David Tua's style

Photobucket
OKay. That has to be one of the hardest punches I've seen. Floyd could really slug couldn't he?

Re: David Tua's style

Photobucket
OKay. That has to be one of the hardest punches I've seen. Floyd could really slug couldn't he?
If only he'd had the courage to rock Sonny Liston like that he could successfully defended his title that night in 1963.

Re: David Tua's style

I don't see the similarities with Tyson. They're both short, hit hard, and are durable but that's it. Stylewise they are very, very different, Tua has always reminded me a lot of Marciano with the way he slips and parries shots and in his stance.

Re: David Tua's style

redfeng007
Lou Duva was trying to train David Tua to be the next Rocky Marciano.

Remember their double left hooks and signature uppercuts.

Tua should have never left Lou Duva, to join Kevin Barry.

His career will definitely be better than now.

Re: David Tua's style

redfeng007 wrote

Tua should have never left Lou Duva, to join Kevin Barry.

His career will definitely be better than now.
Someone corrected you on this in another thread. Kevin was in Tua's camp from the beginning. He was the manager. When Duva left, Kevin became assistant trainer. Watch any Tua fight from 1992-2003. Kevin was always present.

Rosco wrote
  Lou Duva left Team Tua to focus on Golota and retired soon afterwards. Kevin Barry had been part of Tua's camp since the beginning. (1992). Kevin did start ripping Tua off once Duva left though with no one to watch him.

Re: David Tua's style

Hit Em' Hard wrote
While it's nice of some of you to compare David to legends like Rocky Marciano and Joe Frazier, the man copied Mike Tyson the same way Justin Timberlake tries to copy Michael Jackson..its a pale imitation of the (much better) original.
Agreed. Timberlake is an absolute rip off artist, in music and acting as well.

Re: David Tua's style

redfeng007 wrote
Lou Duva was trying to train David Tua to be the next Rocky Marciano.

Remember their double left hooks and signature uppercuts.

Tua should have never left Lou Duva, to join Kevin Barry.

His career will definitely be better than now.
When Dan Duva died Lou retired. But prior to that he had already left Team Tua to focus on Golota. Kevin Barry was always in David's camp.

Re: David Tua's style

South Pacific
Evan Fields wrote
Mike Tyson easily. Come on guys. His resemblance to Mike is the reason why he sparred with guys like Golota and Holyfield to get them ready for Mike. Emanuel Steward called David the samoan Mike Tyson at one point too.
Yep. I used to hear that all the time in the islands. "The Samoan Mike Tyson." It's evident that David tried to emulate Mike's style and he once cited Mike as an inspiration. It was in a New Zealand magazine during the 1990s. I think my sister still has it. If I find it I'll scan it here.

Re: David Tua's style

RICKY TAN
David talked about Mike Tyson, Ike Ibeabuchi's mental status and a lot of other topics in this interview. He even talked about fighting Mike Tyson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llEjzgLvsEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ByUWkyf8aM

Re: David Tua's style

Urban Legend
To me he fought like post-prison Tyson. He just relied a bit much on the left hook for his wins.

Re: David Tua's style

49-0
Lou Duva and George Benton manufactored him like Tyson at the start of his career but as time wore on he became a basic slugger.

Re: David Tua's style

South Pacific
49-0 wrote
Lou Duva and George Benton manufactored him like Tyson at the start of his career but as time wore on he became a basic slugger.
What do you mean, "manufactured?"

Re: David Tua's style

I've always thought so. David's original trainer Lou Duva used to always say that he patterned the young Samoan after his "friend" Rocky Marciano. But I really don't see much Marciano in Tua. He definitely reminds me of Tyson because of the stocky build, jab and exploding left hook. He even used Tyson and Patterson's Gazelle Punch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Also, the way Tua threw uppercuts as his opponent slumped down and ended fights early, I gotta compare him to Iron Mike above anyone else.
Another old post I changed my opinion on. After watching Tua's fight with Oleg Maskaev the other day, I couldn't help but notice how similar Tua was to Marciano.

It was the way he loaded up and unleashed his bombs. They weren't combinations; they were just absolute bombs that Tua threw to both the body and the head. Tua wasn't known for his right hand, but he threw a corkscrew overhand right just like Marciano! Like Rocky, Tua didn't move his head much either. He relied on bobbing and weaving in a crouch.

Tua's onset and attack was really similar to Rocky...the only difference being that Rocky's right hand was his signature punch while Tua's was his left hook. But both guys had endless stamina and could end the fight at any time with one punch from either hand.

I was watching Tua pound away at this guy and all I saw was the spirit of Rocky Marciano.

Re: David Tua's style

Big Red
Duggerman wrote
Another old post I changed my opinion on. After watching Tua's fight with Oleg Maskaev the other day, I couldn't help but notice how similar Tua was to Marciano.

It was the way he loaded up and unleashed his bombs. They weren't combinations; they were just absolute bombs that Tua threw to both the body and the head. Tua wasn't known for his right hand, but he threw a corkscrew overhand right just like Marciano! Like Rocky, Tua didn't move his head much either. He relied on bobbing and weaving in a crouch.

Tua's onset and attack was really similar to Rocky...the only difference being that Rocky's right hand was his signature punch while Tua's was his left hook. But both guys had endless stamina and could end the fight at any time with one punch from either hand.

I was watching Tua pound away at this guy and all I saw was the spirit of Rocky Marciano.
I agree. David and Rocky were brawlers. They stepped up and loaded up to throw bombs. Only Rocky was smarter. Sometimes Rocky set you up on purpose. But David just threw predictable patterns. He still knocked a lot of people out though, but this worked against him against "thinking" fighters like Lewis and Byrd.

Great post.

12