David Tua

1234 ... 8

David Tua

My favorite boxer, and the owner of the most explosive left hook in boxing history. It's a shame he never lived up to his potential, but he gave us some exciting knockouts in his day. Thoughts on The Tuaman?

Re: David Tua

Shane
He certainly scored some quick and impressive knockouts.

It's sad that he never won a title, but that's no one's fault but his own.

Re: David Tua

Maximillian
If he cared about his career, he would have won a title by now. He was a good prospect for a while, but he proved he's no great fighter when he let Lennox Lewis punk him for 12 rounds. After the one sided beating he took from Chris Bryd the next year, I was done with David Tua.

Re: David Tua

Tua is an underachiever. No doubt about that. I don't think he'll ever change. In his recent rematch with Monte Barrett, he didn't start throwing punches until the 10th round. He's a waste of talent, but he's a knockout machine when he wants to be. There were so many Mike Tyson wanna-be's during the 90s--Lionel Butler, Tommy Morrison, Ray Mercer, Shannon Briggs, etc--but it was David Tua who came the closest. The guy was born with an iron chin and destructive power; those are two gifts you have to be born with. He should have been one of the greatest of all time. He certainly had the talent.

Re: David Tua

GatorPurify
Tua was an exceptionally talented boxer. His early fights he had everything. Head movement, jab, body punching. He abandoned this and relying on one left hook to end the fight. He faded as a result.

Re: David Tua

The Greatest wrote
If he cared about his career, he would have won a title by now. He was a good prospect for a while, but he proved he's no great fighter when he let Lennox Lewis punk him for 12 rounds. After the one sided beating he took from Chris Bryd the next year, I was done with David Tua.
David has a mental problem of some sort. He had the talent to beat Lennox Lewis but was afraid of getting hit. He was robbed against Ike Ibeabuchi in the best performance of his career, and he's sucked ever since that fight. By headhunting and looking for one punch bombs, he fights the same way that Mike Tyson did after his comeback from prison.

He needs to retire. There's nothing left for him to do in boxing. If you can't knock out Demetrice King or win against Monte Barrett, it's time to hang em' up Dave.

Re: David Tua

He could still be a threat in the division if he really wanted to. His power and chin are fading, but if he were motivated, he could probably get some quality wins. He'd never beat the Klitschkos this late in his career, but he could knock out Briggs, Holyfield or Rahman. (again)

I was impressed that he knocked down Barrett with his right hand. Hey David, that's what happens when you throw combinations!! Barrett survived the preceding left hook but did not see David's incoming right. Lurking forward hoping to land one miracle left hook is a terrible strategy. Tua needs to watch some films of himself from the 90s. The more punches he throws, the better.

Re: David Tua

49-0
Lou Duva was friends with Rocky Marciano and tried to train Tua to fight like him. Some people say Tua fought like Mike Tyson but I see more of a Rocky Marciano influence than anyone else.

Re: David Tua

Zorro
Rocky Marciano had heavy shoes to fill, and I doubt anyone will ever fill them. Going undefeated in any era is almost impossible. You have to worry about biased judging, cuts, jumpy referrees and everything else. One thing that made Rocky great was that he won 43 of his 49 fights by knockout, removing all doubt. David Tua had more talent than Rocky but was not as tough.

Re: David Tua

Evolution
He is one of the sweetest, nicest guys that I've met in the boxing buisness. That's why it's really hard for me to critique him. David knows that he blew it. He told me that he regrets his performance against Lennox Lewis. He said if he could do it again, he'd throw more body punches and combinations. He had never fought a fighter with the height and skill of Lennox before, and Lennox was really heavyhanded. He could finish you at any time. David said he got discouraged when he felt that right hand of Lennox, (I know that feeling) and it was hard to get inside without getting hurt. David has only gotten worse over the years. But trust me, you don't want to get hit with that left hook. It's a wrecking ball. He put on a good show in the rematch with Monte Barrett, even if it was a losing effort.

Re: David Tua

He is one of the sweetest, nicest guys that I've met in the boxing buisness. That's why it's really hard for me to critique him. David knows that he blew it. He told me that he regrets his performance against Lennox Lewis. He said if he could do it again, he'd throw more body punches and combinations. He had never fought a fighter with the height and skill of Lennox before, and Lennox was really heavyhanded. He could finish you at any time. David said he got discouraged when he felt that right hand of Lennox, (I know that feeling) and it was hard to get inside without getting hurt. David has only gotten worse over the years. But trust me, you don't want to get hit with that left hook. It's a wrecking ball. He put on a good show in the rematch with Monte Barrett, even if it was a losing effort.
Thank you for that info, Evolution. It's awesome to have you here.

Speaking of David Tua, here is his professional debut. I have this entire clip on my David Tua Fight Collection. Tua knocked his opponent out in his debut quicker than Mike Tyson did. One sweeping left hook is all it took. There are interviews after the fight with Evander Holyfield, Lou Duva, Kevin Barry and David Tua himself. This was a 37-second knockout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au3U6lFGCfQ

Re: David Tua

KB50MJ
Does anyone know what the name of the style boxing he used? Like his guard?

Re: David Tua

I honestly don't think he had much of a style. He just kinda bobbed and weaved with his arms crossed. You could say his guard was a modified version of the 'armadillo' defense used by prime Foreman, Ken Norton and Archie Moore. But Tua wasn't as good at slipping punches as Tyson, Frazier or Marciano. He got hit a lot.

Re: David Tua

Zorro
There was talk of a potential rematch between Tua and John Ruiz in the early 2000s but of course John wanted nothing to do with David after he got knocked out in 19 seconds. But still, Tua is also a different fighter now. He always showed the vulnerability to boxers, but his workrate and hunger usually created the openings in the later rounds. Now he is poorly conditioned and slower. Not so sure John would win, but Tua isnt the same fighter he was when they fought the first time.

It's like the twilight zone to see David looking so small back then. Who knew he would look like this 20 years later?

Re: David Tua

49-0
^^You can say that again. David just gave up his career after losing to Ike Ibeabuchi. He didn't care how terrible he looked, in the ring or out. Its a frying shame he let himself go like that. 20 years from now he'll look like this

Re: David Tua

49-0 wrote
^^You can say that again. David just gave up his career after losing to Ike Ibeabuchi. He didn't care how terrible he looked, in the ring or out. Its a frying shame he let himself go like that. 20 years from now he'll look like this

LOL!! I don't think he'll get as big as Buster Mathis, but it's obvious he didn't care about his skills or staying in shape after his first loss. That was the beginning of the end. I'll always believe that the David Tua from 1992-1997 would have knocked out Lennox Lewis. He was aggressive each round and threw a lot of punches.

Re: David Tua

Evan Fields
When did Buster Mathis get that big? Please tell me it was after his retirement?

Re: David Tua

Evolution
Buster had a big laugh and was a hell of a guy. It was impossible not to like him. His death saddened me but it didn't surprise me. He never took his health seriously, even when he was a professional boxer. Thats part of the reason he left Cus D'Amato. They used to clash all the time.

Re: David Tua

KB50MJ
Now with all that size on him, even the fat, he was still pretty fast. How fast do you think he ranks with other heavyweights in terms of speed?
1234 ... 8