David Tua v. Jess Willard and Primo Carnera

David Tua v. Jess Willard and Primo Carnera

David Tua never really learned how to evade a jab and sometimes struggled against big men. Primo Carnera and Jess Willard are not as good as Lewis or the Klitschkos, but the limited boxing skills they had (combined with Tua's laziness sometimes) gives them a good shot of winning a decision.

Willard and Carnera were both absolutely destroyed by the sluggers they fought - Louis and Baer whooped Carnera good, and we all saw what Dempsey did to Willard - so this gives Tua a chance if he lands.

Question is, does the motivated David Tua that damn near killed John Ruiz in 19 seconds do the same to cautious defensive giants like Willard and Carnera?

Re: David Tua v. Jess Willard and Primo Carnera

Urban Legend
David might let those guys jab their way to a decision, me thinks.

Re: David Tua v. Jess Willard and Primo Carnera

Big Red
David Tua never really learned how to evade a jab and sometimes struggled against big men. Primo Carnera and Jess Willard are not as good as Lewis or the Klitschkos, but the limited boxing skills they had (combined with Tua's laziness sometimes) gives them a good shot of winning a decision.

Willard and Carnera were both absolutely destroyed by the sluggers they fought - Louis and Baer whooped Carnera good, and we all saw what Dempsey did to Willard - so this gives Tua a chance if he lands.

Question is, does the motivated David Tua that damn near killed John Ruiz in 19 seconds do the same to cautious defensive giants like Willard and Carnera?
David would lose a majority of the rounds but suddenly come on strong in the latter rounds and win big with a knockout. David struggled with the big boys but generally knocked them out (aside from Lewis , Barret and Ustinov in his last fight). Tyson just plain struggled and rarely knocked out the big guys when he got to top level.

I'd bet Primo would get kayod before Willard would. Primo held and jabbed. He was more open to get his bell rung. Willard on the other hand was much more defensive and tricky in addition to his size. But we saw how he reacts when he gets taken by surprise, so I think David would suddenly spring to life and knock him on his a$$.

Re: David Tua v. Jess Willard and Primo Carnera

Zorro
Jess Willard was quite good - don't let the Dempsey fight fool ya. He was out of shape, rusty and Dempsey's power totally took him by surprise.

I'm not saying the result would have different had Willard been more prepared, but Jess had great stamina and was a superb counterpuncher. He defended himself well and used his massive size and reach to his advantage.

I am not a Tua fan and that is no secret. But I just know that if Tua put up the same pitiful effort that he did against Lennox Lewis, Willard and Carnera would beat him real easy. Maybe he'd clip Carnera before 12 rounds are over...maybe. But Willard would fight a more defensive fight than even Lewis. (Lewis got sloppy and careless a few times and Tua managed to connect, only hurting him once or twice to my memory)

Re: David Tua v. Jess Willard and Primo Carnera

I see it kinda like that, too. Jess was big, strong and awkward. He’d frustrate Tua easily. And even though Willard was out of shape and kind of horsing around, we must keep in mind that he was winning against Dempsey until Dempsey absolutely devastated him with that bulldozing Dempsey roll. Jess was old and totally caught by surprise..

A prime and fit Willard may well beat Tua by decision, but Tua packed a dynamite left hook, the very punch Dempsey broke Willard’s jaw and initially floored him with. So Tua has a puncher’s chance. This is a hard one to call.

But as we discussed, Carnera was always destroyed by the sluggers and it’d be the beginning of the end once Tua lands his first fierce left hook. His defense wasn’t half as good as Willard’s.