David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Zombies Ate Me

How would the "throwin' samoan" fare against The Greatest and The Brown Bomber?

Before you laugh at me, remember that David Tua was a great fighter in his prime. He was an underachiever but don't forget that he knocked out four heavyweight champions and had devastating power and an iron chin.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Evan Fields
Oh boy. Are you serious? The same David Tua that shit his pants against Lennox Lewis? Let me keep it short and sweet. Fatso Tua would never lay a finger on Ali. He'd probably lose to the same deterioated version of Ali that beat Earnie Shavers!!

Joe Louis would knock David Tua out. No way Tua could stand up the long series of bombs Louis would plant on him, iron chin or not. Louis and Ali are two of the best of all time. David Tua shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as those legends.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Kid Dynamite
Evan Fields wrote
Oh boy. Are you serious? The same David Tua that shit his pants against Lennox Lewis? Let me keep it short and sweet. Fatso Tua would never lay a finger on Ali. He'd probably lose to the same deterioated version of Ali that beat Earnie Shavers!!

Joe Louis would knock David Tua out. No way Tua could stand up the long series of bombs Louis would plant on him, iron chin or not. Louis and Ali are two of the best of all time. David Tua shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as those legends.
I'm still amazed at the lack of respect David Tua gets on internet message boards. I've had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and you couldn't meet a nicer fellow.

You can't underestimate David even against Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali. David had a devasating left hook, the one punch Muhammad Ali was always open to.

From 1995-97, David Tua was just as tough as prime Tyson and Frazier.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

I have to be honest...no way does peak Tua beat peak Ali, although there's the chance he may hurt him once or twice.

Dannell Nicholson copied Muhammad Ali's style almost to a tee. He didn't have Ali's overall skill, iron chin or quick hands, but he emulated Ali's footwork and overall style. He was so obsessed with Ali that he even leaned back from punches and fought with his hands down.

Watch the animation below. David feinted with a left jab and then smashed Nicholson with a powerful left hook.

Photobucket

I know, I know. Nicholson wasn't as good as Ali, but he fought with the same style. If David times his hook correctly, he could catch Ali against the ropes with his hands down just as he did Nicholson. But even if Tua did stun or hurt Ali, he didn't have what it takes to finish him. Still, I can't help but think of how poorly Tua performed against Lennox Lewis and Chris Byrd. Muhammad was more athletic than both of those guys. He was faster and had a much better chin. Tua didn't have Frazier's tenacity. I think Ali would win an easy decision over Tua. By the end, Tua's face would be a swolen mess because of Ali's jab. Hard words to type because Tua is one of my favorite boxers, but I have to be honest.

David Tua versus Joe Louis? Tua has a better chance here because unlike Ali, Louis doesn't have the athleticism to avoid Tua's vaunted left hook. Tua may hurt Louis with his uppercuts or body punches but Louis could alternate between boxing and brawling with Tua the way Ibeabuchi did. I could see Tua hurting Louis with a left hook here or there but he'd lose to Louis by decision or by late TKO.

Sorry Tua.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

49-0
there ain't much I can say about Tua that hasn't already been said. The dude had absolutely devastating power and the best chin since George Chuvalo and Oliver McCall. But him beating Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali? Not gonna ever happen no matter how hard he hit. Personally I think for Joe Louis this would be a repeat of his fight with Two Ton Tony Galento..an out of shape brawler reliant only on a devastating left hook.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Zombies Ate Me wrote

How would the "throwin' samoan" fare against The Greatest and The Brown Bomber?

Before you laugh at me, remember that David Tua was a great fighter in his prime. He was an underachiever but don't forget that he knocked out four heavyweight champions and had devastating power and an iron chin.
You gotta be joking. You're comparing an underachieving boxing footnote to the best legendary heavyweight champions to ever live? In a world with four heavyweight championships David Tua never won a single damn one, and you're giving him a chance to beat Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali? The same David Tua that got his ass handed to him by Lennox Lewis and Chris Bryd? The same David Tua that got outjabbed and outmanuered in TWO fights by HASIM RAHMAN Oh yeah. He could beat the man that had 25 title defenses and was champion for 11 years, and he could beat the man that survived the Rumble in the jungle, the thrilla in manilla and shocked the world by beating Sonny Liston. Butterbean has as much of a chance of beating those two as David Tua does.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Shane
I hope Zorro sees this thread. He hates David Tua with a passion.

Quite honestly I think David might put Joe Louis on the deck once or twice. It wouldn't surprise me if he snuck in a brilliant left hook or two at some point during the fight. But he's not beating Louis. He might win a round 10-8 if he scores a knockdown which is more than plausible.

David Tua would not throw enough punches to hurt Muhammad. Remember all those times he had Lennox lewis cornered against the ropes with his hands down and just stood there and let him escape? David doesn't throw enough punches to luck up and stun Ali.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

George Jefferson
This is me when I saw this thread title...

David Tua is in the same boat as Tony Galento or Butterbean, i.e. a fat brawler with a big punch.

I'll put it this way. David Tua made Hasim Rahman look like an excellent boxer-puncher-mover in two fights. Hasim Rahman. I'll let you think about that.

Michael Jackson finds this shit funny too.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Zombies Ate Me wrote

How would the "throwin' samoan" fare against The Greatest and The Brown Bomber?

Before you laugh at me, remember that David Tua was a great fighter in his prime. He was an underachiever but don't forget that he knocked out four heavyweight champions and had devastating power and an iron chin.
Tua could knock out Joe Louis if he lands enough left hooks. Joe Louis was dropped by 195 pound men like Walcott, Schmeling, Braddock and the like. Max Baer didn't hit him often enough to hurt him. Louis would have been KO'd if Tony Galento had landed another left hook. That's why Joe finished him quickly. I think David loses but has a puncher's chance against Joe.

Muhammad Ali would always beat him, however.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Malik Wright wrote
Tua could knock out Joe Louis if he lands enough left hooks. Joe Louis was dropped by 195 pound men like Walcott, Schmeling, Braddock and the like. Max Baer didn't hit him often enough to hurt him. Louis would have been KO'd if Tony Galento had landed another left hook. That's why Joe finished him quickly. I think David loses but has a puncher's chance against Joe.

Muhammad Ali would always beat him, however.
I'm afraid so, Malik. Ali had too much movement and the chin to survive if Tua does land. Tua knocked out David Izon and Fres Oquendo late but they gave him a lot of problems with their jabs, straight rights and mobility. Ali would do those same tactics but much better.

Joe Louis would be the better match-up for David, although I don't see David winning. Joe Louis worked the body quite a bit and David Tua hated body punches. With Louis' lightning hand speed and swift jab, David wouldn't see the combinations coming. Jimmy Braddock said that Joe's jab was like an electric light bulb getting smashed in your face over and over. I can imagine David shutting down from such attacks. But if he was motivated and threw enough punches, he would beat Louis by knockout. Tua certainly had the ability to beat Louis but I doubt he would.

[...]

I'm glad to see Dave getting some respect here. Just because Muhammad and Joe eclipse him with their legacies doesn't mean its an easy fight for them. Head to head is a whole other ballgame altogether.

I sparred with "old" Dave. He was in his early to mid thirties. Even though he was a slow plodder with a bombastic left hook at that time, he had amazing stamina for someone his size. He didn't punch as often as he should have but when you tagged you you knew it. Get cocky or lazy for one second and it's all over for you when he lands.

He never knocked me out but by that point I had already been sparring with monster bangers like George Foreman...I was more than accustomed to getting beat up. Had I been younger and sparring with primetime and fit Tua he'd be knocking me out all day every day. He was a beast in the 90s.

Dave lasts to the final bell with both Louis and Ali. He had a cast iron chin. I would hit him with everything I had. No matter what combinations I cracked him with, it had no effect. He even took my straight right which was my best punch. One day I hit him so hard I injured my hand and had to take a few weeks off. But the punch had no effect on Dave whatsoever.

Louis and Ali would beat him but if they make one mistake then they're in serious trouble. Muhammad would survive and get a decision. Joe Louis, if hurt, may or may not survive. Dave was a much better finisher than the other guys that hurt/dropped Joe Louis.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

 He was a beast in the 90s.
No he wasn't. He certainly was no beast when he was getting outboxed by Hasim Rahman for two fights. (the first one was in 1998). If Hasim could do it, Louis and Ali would have a field day.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

BAD INTENTIONS
Urban Legend wrote
No he wasn't. He certainly was no beast when he was getting outboxed by Hasim Rahman for two fights. (the first one was in 1998). If Hasim could do it, Louis and Ali would have a field day.
That first Rahman fight was the beginning of his weight troubles. But he still knocked him out. David was never the same after the Ibeabuchi fight. He got used to knocking foolz flat with that left hook.

'97 David Tua would present plenty of problems for Ali and Joe but I can't see him stopping either guy.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Rosco
BAD INTENTIONS wrote

'97 David Tua would present plenty of problems for Ali and Joe
How would David present either of them with a problem(s)? The same David Tua that was losing to David Izon and Oleg Maskaev before knocking them out miracoulosuly in the last rounds? Here is a link to the Maskaev fight. This was "prime" Tua in 1997. Tua kept getting hit with the same punch over and over. It was driving Ronnie Shields crazy! And you pick this guy, getting hit by the same punch over and over, to give plenty of "problems" to Joe Mother fucking Louis and Muhammad Ali? Really? I'm not even bringing up the Rahman fights because they've been mentioned enough already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXi0fvqCyVs

I've got the popcorn ready. I await your answer.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

BAD INTENTIONS
Rosco wrote
BAD INTENTIONS wrote

'97 David Tua would present plenty of problems for Ali and Joe
How would David present either of them with a problem(s)? The same David Tua that was losing to David Izon and Oleg Maskaev before knocking them out miracoulosuly in the last rounds? Here is a link to the Maskaev fight. This was "prime" Tua in 1997. Tua kept getting hit with the same punch over and over. It was driving Ronnie Shields crazy! And you pick this guy, getting hit by the same punch over and over, to give plenty of "problems" to Joe Mother fucking Louis and Muhammad Ali? Really? I'm not even bringing up the Rahman fights because they've been mentioned enough already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXi0fvqCyVs

I've got the popcorn ready. I await your answer.

Alright smartass, maybe "plenty of problems" was the wrong phrase but David would be a hell of a threat. The swarmers like Tua always troubled Ali and Tua had more than enough power and aggression to stop Joe Louis. I've seen David train and attended many of his fights in his prime. I've never seen a harder hitter. Put the 97' Tua of the Ike Ibeabuchi fight in there with Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali and watch him mix it up with them.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

I think Ali came out with an amusing comment , I cant remember which opponent he was referring to but it went something like this
"He has 2 chances of winning slim & none" I think that would sum up Tuas chances against Ali & Louis

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Alexander
Ali wins easy against The Tuaman

The Tuaman against Joe Louis?

Now, of course the obvious choice is Louis (and rightly so) but let's think of a few things.

One; Louis is probably too static and hittable to avoid getting hit, and Tua is a devastating combination puncher, especially when he sees an opponent hurt. It's possible to say that Tua is one of the hardest punchers prime Louis was in with, and he could be dropped and/or hurt by lesser punchers (Galento comes to mind, Schmeling another) and it's a certainty that with Tua's chin and staying power he IS going to catch Louis at some point, or, as Baer did at the end of the first round, rush Louis and force him into an exchange.

Now, Tua is not overly slow for a short, chunky guy. he relies on a good chin but unlike a safety first Louis he is going to be getting hit with a LOT of percise, compact combinations by possibly the hardest heavyweight puncher of all time (definitely the best in terms of technique)

Now, the question is CAN Prime Louis take these rushes? He was bigger and sturdier against Marciano but he was a shell of a fighter. Although a claim can be made that 'Shot Louis took Marciano for rounds before getting stopped' I personally don't believe Marciano hits as hard (in terms of force) than Tua. Tua is heavier and has bombed out bigger guys than Marciano. Fact.

Now, Tua is not the offensive machine that Marciano was, and as anyone who has really watched The Rock will know, there are a lot of nuances to his game that Tua does not possess.

Now, can I make a claim for Tua to win? Yes. If he catches Louis with a bomb in an exchange there's every chance he hits him with free more and sparks him clean (Louis was fairly static and certainly not the kinda' safety first fighter Lennox was, stunned by Tua he isn't going to have the big arms to cover up or the sheer mass to hold on) but personally I see Louis staving off some of Tua's attacks and by the fact of him being CLEARLY the better fighter overall, I'm confident in my pick.

Louis K.O 6. Regardless of Tua's chin, his style and the fact he is hittable is not good against Louis. I personally regards Tua as a fantastic finisher but Louis isn't going to prvent these oppurtunities on a plate, and Tua has shown that he can be lackadaisical if not given a window in which to do his best.

I don't think Louis drops Tua but the combinations would take his Pineapple hairdo off........Beaten and seriously hurt for the first time in his career Tua is forced back into the ropes where he stands, hands up, taking a shellacking, Richard Steele, a wise choice for this time machine matchup, saves the brave Kiwi on his feet.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Evan Fields wrote
 Fatso Tua would never lay a finger on Ali. He'd probably lose to the same deterioated version of Ali that beat Earnie Shavers!!
Ouch. Just....ouch.

Regarding Joe Louis, Louis would stop Tua. TKO inside 9 rounds. And Tua's chin is one of the most overrated things in boxing He has one punch resistance but he was never put under a long beating where he would get hit continously with big bombs for a period of rounds as he would by Joe Louis who would score on the kiwi's head with ease and often too.

Re: David Tua versus Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis

Alexander
Evan Fields wrote
 Fatso Tua would never lay a finger on Ali. He'd probably lose to the same deterioated version of Ali that beat Earnie Shavers!!
Come on, now. In his prime, David was tenacious enough to knock out 1977 Muhammad Ali.
123