Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Sivul
Ali has overshadowed every great boxer in popularity; only Tyson and Mayweather come close. But from what I’ve seen Joe Louis was definitely the People’s Champion too. Some still consider him the greatest, and he has records that still stand today, records that Ali didn’t come close to touching!!

Why is it that Ali is so much more well known? Was Joe just “boring” in comparison?

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Friday The 13th...
Entaowed summed it up about perfectly. But I wanna add that it isn’t fair that Jackie Robinson gets all the credit for breaking the color barrier in sports when actually Joe Louis did it many years prior. Milions and millions of white Americans loved Joe. This was the first time in any sport where they routinely cheered for a black person.

But Louis had an introverted shy personality. Ali was the total opposite of Louis in every way.

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

J.C.
Ali had more charisma than a lot of fighters. He’s one of the few that you really cared for outside of the boxing ring. Marciano, Louis, Robinson, and plenty others got respect but little is known about them outside the ring other than them being nice guys. Their personal lives weren’t as interesting or controversial as Ali’s was.

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Urban Legend
It’s simple. Watch one interview with Joe Louis, then another with Ali. Joe is basically mute and deadpan, Ali is loud, colorful and funny as hell.

Watch their fights. Joe had pure explosive dynamite in both fists and scored his share of early knockouts but generally he carried his opponents and slowly broke them down and destroyed them later.

Would you rather watch Ali dance and showboat and taunting his opponent or watch Joe Louis drag after someone for countless rounds?

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Rosco
If I could rank the heavyweight champions in charisma it would go like this. Top 5

Muhammad Ali

Mike Tyson

George Foreman (Second career...you couldn't help but like him)

Jack Johnson (He used his charisma to get on the bad side of racist whites, but he was charismatic nonetheless)

Larry Holmes-Sonny Liston (Larry was a mean funny dude but he and Sonny both used their persona to make people hate them)

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Sivul
Almost everyone had more charisma than Joe Louis. He was just....bland. Personality wise, at least. In the ring he could be a real tiger though.

If his personality had been up to par, maybe he would have had the lasting popularity of a Tyson, Ali, Leonard or even Mayweather.

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Joe had a quiet charm to him. Like Floyd Patterson, he was a man of few words. He was the opposite of Muhammad Ali that way. Joe Louis could never give an inspirational MLK type of speech. It just wasn't his personality.

The closest he came to giving a speech was when he publicly declared the slogan for WWII, and that was read in a slow deadpan delivery and it was a few halting words. "We will do our part and we will win because we're on God's side."

Speaking of Louis' voice, he had a nice baritone speaking voice. It was smooth at times. He might have made a good singer. Unlike some of the other boxers who tried their best to sing and didn't sound good, (Pinklon Thomas, Larry Holmes, Joe Frazier, etc) Joe actually had a good voice. I'm surprised he didn't record a single during those years when he was desperate to make money to pay back those taxes.

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Ali is more outspoken than Joe Louis.

That is why he is more interesting on camera.

He is the one, whom invented 'trash-talk' that makes the show more appealing.

Then Dywayne Jonhson followed Ali's trash talk style in WWE.

This helped to boost his career.

He also used Ali's name, the People's Champion...

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Maybe he could sing well, hard to know just from regular talking.
I disagree there. Part of the reason why they've added music and made songs to the crazy R.Kelly interview is because he naturally has a melodic voice even while speaking. Check out these links. Hilarious, but easy to do because of his voice. I imagine they could do the same to Joe Louis.

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

The Golden Jet
R. Kelly can’t help but have hits, even unintentional ones. 🤣

Re: Did Muhammad Ali have more charisma than Joe Louis?

Muhammad Ali may have been witty but I'll never forgive his blatant racism early in his career. Like everyone else I thought he was fun to watch and charismatic but all his talk of white people as "blue eyed devils" never sat right with me. In his eyes I'm a blue eyed devil.

You know what else is funny? Ali kept calling Joe Frazier an uncle tom and white man's champion but Joe had all black trainers and Ali's head trainer was a white man.  Ali was a walking contradiction.

Joe Louis was more humble and down to earth. Despite the racism he endured he never preached hate and unlike Ali he did all his talking in the ring.