Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

Rosco

My question or concern isn't whether the Rock is the first African American champion or not. I know he is the first African American WWE champion.
My issue is how his ethnicity is handled in the WWE and all mainstream media for that matter.

I wanted to write a letter, note or tweet, or whatever to the Rock entitled,
"You're OUR champion, TOO!"
From the perspective of his African American fans, of which I am one.
I feel as if the WWE, and main stream movies and such don't see him as a black man, but as a Samoan. They make such a huge deal out of his Samoan roots, and his time in Hawaii, the Polynesian tattoos, (which i think ARE pretty cool) etc.etc... But they don't spend much time at all talking about Rocky Johnson's contribution to wrestling. Him being half of the first black Tag Team champions.
But then again, neither does the Rock. Does he mention him? Yes. Of course he does. But for the most part, at least in my opinion, the world and at times even the Rock, seems to favor his Samoan side.

Is the Samoan half of him more interesting to him? Is it cooler to be Samoan than it is to be African American in his eyes?
I've seen just about all of Rock's movies (with the exception of doom) and I have yet (and PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong) to see him in a love scene with an African American woman. I mean Rosalyn Sanchez is GORGEOUS but she's not an African American woman. The closest thing he had to an African American child was in the game plan and the mother was white....I mean, in the Grid Iron Gang and Walking Tall (which from what I understand where based off of true stories) he played the lead role, where the person in real life was white or at least NOT black.
I'm not the "militant-black-man" guy. I'm not racist by any stretch.
I love ALL people.
Especially, my people.

I'm not taking anything from him, Black White or otherwise, he would have become the champion because he is an amazing worker. But if he was as dark as R Truth or Mark Henry (both of whom have been WORLD champions) would he have gotten to the heights that he had BEFORE he left?
Would he have conquered hollywood the way he has?
Is he claiming more Samoan decent than he is African American decent to keep from being stereotyped and typecasted?

I don't know... I really don't know the answers to any of these questions...
All I DO know is that as a black man, I am proud of the fact that Dwayne Johnson has made such a HUGE name for himself in sports entertainment AND hollywood. Its inspiring to me.
I just wonder sometimes, with all due respect and no offense intended whatsoever, if its as important to him that he is the first African American WWF/E champion, and ICON in the business of professional wrestling, as it is to the African American wrestling fan community...?

Without question, i'm sure that he'd say it is.

It just doesn't feeeeel like it.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

George Jefferson
I personally consider him more of a samoan because A) he looks it and B) like you said, he celebrates that part of his culture more. But he is half and half for sure. Its funny because when it comes to President Obama people ignore his white heritage for his black one, but for the rock they ignore his black heritage for his samoan one. But rock looks samoan and Obama looks black. Halle Berry looks black too. I think it depends on your looks.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

South Pacific
Take a good look at him and what do you see?

I see a Samoan. He's 50/50 in terms of black and samoan technically, but his mother Ata's genes were dominant. That happens sometimes with people of mixed race, like Obama and Halle Berry looking black, but Vin Diesal and Mariah Carey looking more white. It happens.

If you see him walking down the street you wouldn't say, "He's a black man." You'd say, "He's a samoan." With his looks he easily passes for full samoan. He embraces both heritages but if I'm honest he favors his samoan side. Even during the late '90s and early 2000s when he was the WWE Champion and peaking in popularity you could still find him on the island sometimes. He's real down to earth.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

He's a minority regardless. He even said in his book that if the KKK came to town they would kill relatives on both sides of his family.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

South Pacific
Duggerman wrote
He's a minority regardless. He even said in his book that if the KKK came to town they would kill relatives on both sides of his family.
Exactly! That's why these debates are a little silly imo

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

Courtney
Forgive my naivete but what's the difference between a Hawaiian and a Samoan? Is there a difference other than living on different islands?

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

Zombies Ate Me
Courtney wrote
Forgive my naivete but what's the difference between a Hawaiian and a Samoan? Is there a difference other than living on different islands?
It's like asking whats the difference between hip hop and rap music, or asking the difference between a reporter and a journalist. There are minor differences but people use the terms interchangeably.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

Zombies Ate Me wrote
Courtney wrote
Forgive my naivete but what's the difference between a Hawaiian and a Samoan? Is there a difference other than living on different islands?
It's like asking whats the difference between hip hop and rap music, or asking the difference between a reporter and a journalist. There are minor differences but people use the terms interchangeably.
Naw. There are different kinds of pacific islanders just like there are different kinds of Americans. Samoans generally are big-boned (more husky) wider noses, more coarse hair, etc. There are clear differences between Hawaiians and Samoans.

I used to not know the difference myself, but in college I met many Samoans and Hawaiians. I'd like to visit Samoa someday.

Fun fact: Yokozuna was obviously a Samoan but tried passing as a Japanese character and many people bought it. That shows how unfamiliar people are with Pacific Islanders.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

South Pacific
Duggerman wrote
Naw. There are different kinds of pacific islanders just like there are different kinds of Americans. Samoans generally are big-boned (more husky) wider noses, more coarse hair, etc. There are clear differences between Hawaiians and Samoans.

I used to not know the difference myself, but in college I met many Samoans and Hawaiians. I'd like to visit Samoa someday.

Fun fact: Yokozuna was obviously a Samoan but tried passing as a Japanese character and many people bought it. That shows how unfamiliar people are with Pacific Islanders.
You said it man. I've been called everything from Filipino to Black to Korean to Mexican. A lot of people don't know Samoan people exist. The Rock nationalized our people big time.

The Rock's body is also Samoan. Many Samoans have extra baggage in the chest area. The Rock had gynecomastia surgery done on his chest to reduce the fat and sags. It was quite obvious. That's the reason why he wrestled in jump suits for a few months in late '98/early '99.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

RICKY TAN
Rosco wrote
I've seen just about all of Rock's movies (with the exception of doom) and I have yet (and PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong) to see him in a love scene with an African American woman. I mean Rosalyn Sanchez is GORGEOUS but she's not an African American woman. The closest thing he had to an African American child was in the game plan and the mother was white
That is true but to play devil's advocate, he's never had a love scene with a SAMOAN woman either. In Snitch he played a white man because his son was white. In Be Cool he played a gay samoan. In Gridiron Gang his character was likely black (though we never saw his father).

The Rock plays characters of different races and it's only a matter of time before you see him have a black love interest, maybe someone like Vivica Fox or Angela Bassett.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

South Pacific wrote
The Rock's body is also Samoan. Many Samoans have extra baggage in the chest area. The Rock had gynecomastia surgery done on his chest to reduce the fat and sags. It was quite obvious. That's the reason why he wrestled in jump suits for a few months in late '98/early '99.

I heard that he had "nipple" surgery but I thought it was just a rumor. But it certainly looks to be true. You can look at his chest before and after the surgery and see a difference. Suddenly he was much slimmer and less fat.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

Malik Wright
The Rock is a nigga. If he wasn't why was he put in this group?

And for anyone out there who is a bit "slow" that ain't no Samoan salute. It's a BLACK POWER salute.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

Brooklyn's Finest
He's biracial of course. But these looks are pure Samoan so its not surprising that he's labeled such.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

South Pacific
Brooklyn's Finest wrote

He's his mother's twin. The only physical traits he got from his father is his widow's peak hairline and scowl.

As far as The Nation goes, Samoans are people of color, too. Rocky fit.

Re: Does The Media Consider The Rock A Black Man?

Malik Wright wrote
The Rock is a nigga. If he wasn't why was he put in this group?

And for anyone out there who is a bit "slow" that ain't no Samoan salute. It's a BLACK POWER salute.
They were never a "black" group anyway. Owen Hart, Crush, and several other white people were members of the nation. Savio Vega is Puerto Rican and was in the group too.

It was never a BLACK group. It was a group about respect. The Rock said that himself when he joined. "It's a respect thing."