Does fighting in a foreign country lower your resistance?

Does fighting in a foreign country lower your resistance?

I've noticed that many upsets happen when boxers are on foreign soil and I think fighting in a strange place with strange food and climates can hurt your durability. These may be coincidences, but I think I'm onto something here.

*Joe Frazier said in his book that he felt cursed the minute he landed in Jamaica to fight Foreman. He said he felt like someone put a voodoo curse on him. The food was upsetting his stomach, and he asked his wife to ship him some food from Philly, which didn't help. There was just a feeling of dread during his entire stay in Jamaica, and we know what happened when he got in the ring to fight Foreman.

*Emanuel Steward told Burt Sugar a similar story about Lennox Lewis' fight with Hasim Rahman in South Africa. Lewis was filming Ocean's Eleven and didn't come to South Africa early enough to get adjusted to the altitude. Steward also said that something in the air just wasn't right when they were there. I've seen Lewis take harder punches than the one Rahman smashed him with. Is it possible that being in a foreign country lowered his punch resistance?

*The Thrilla In Manilla was a brutal fight regardless of where it took place. But Frazier damaged Ali really bad there, had him pissing blood and barely able to walk after the fight. Frazier was relentless when he whacked the body anyway, but could the heat levels and other factors of Manilla have contributed to Ali's health after the fight?

*Jack Johnson lost the title to Jess Willard in Cuba. He said it was "hotter than hell outside," and he ran out of gas early on against the giant Willard, though his advancing age and lack of training may have had something to do with this.

*It's well documented that Foreman had a horrible time in Zaire. He claimed his water was poisoned, he was put under a curse, etc. Does any of this factor into his loss to Ali that night? Could Foreman have reserved his stamina a bit longer on American soil?

Are these bad coincidences? Do you feel that fighting in another country can lower your stamina and/or punch resistance?
Does fighting outside your country hurt your resistance?

Re: Does fighting in a foreign country lower your resistance?

Brooklyn's Finest
I'm not sure but you have some points. In the cases of Johnson and Mike Tyson (in Tokyo) they just didn't train their best. Johnson (like you said) was in his late '30s and showing declining skills.

Re: Does fighting in a foreign country lower your resistance?

BAD INTENTIONS
I've been overseas numerous times both for fights and vacations and yes, it can definitely alter your performance for the worse. I advise against fighting in another country unless absolutely nessesarry.

Re: Does fighting in a foreign country lower your resistance?

South Pacific
I've traveled out of the country and came back home sick as a dog so yeah. Athletes risk their health traveling so much.

Re: Does fighting in a foreign country lower your resistance?

Re: Does fighting in a foreign country lower your resistance?

Will69
Definitely true.  You need a decent amount of time to adjust to the food, water, climate, etc...  Marco Huck lost his record 14th defense to Głowacki because he didn't acclimate himself to fighting in New Jersey from his home in Germany.  You can see from the fight that he clearly wasn't himself and despite winning on all three score cards, and knocking his opponent down (Głowacki's first knock down ever), he could not close the deal, and was brutally knocked out himself.  Sad to watch, like Pacquiao and Marquez IV.