Emanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Emanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

I've said this before numerous times. It's nice to know that a legendary trainer agrees with me.

Slater: As you know, Emanuel, it will be Tony Thompson next for Wladimir, in a rematch. He’s already KO’d the guy - any concerns about Wladimir getting sufficiently motivated for this rematch?

Steward: No, not at all. Wladimir is fine, he’s okay. He’s enjoying fighting, and he wants to fight around three times a year. He’s really on a mission now.

Slater: Can he break Joe Louis’ record of 25 heavyweight title defences? That’s what people are talking about now.

Steward: He can definitely do it if he wants to, yes. Who is going to beat him?
I see no reason why Wladimir won't break Louis' record. When he does, he's definitely going to be a hall of famer.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12359454#post12359454

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

GatorPurify
It is what it is. Congrats to Vlad if he gets it but this shows how much of a joke heavyweight boxing is today.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Agreed. Joe Louis fought much better competition than the Klitschkos. Could Wlad handle the constant movement of Billy Conn? Could he take the hard punches of Rocky Marciano? Could he handle a hard hitting counterpuncher like Jersey Joe Walcott? Could he withstand the left hook of Tony Galento? Could he take the punches of Max Baer? Would he keep his balance against the slick style of Ezzard Charles? You get the picture. The Klitschkos are decent fighters in a weak heavyweight era, unlike guys like Ali, Frazier, and Lennox Lewis who were great fighters in great eras.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Zorro
I think you two are underestimating poor Wlad. You may not find him exciting but this is the era of Klitschko dominance whether we like it or not. No one liked Lennox when he was reigning. It wasn't until after he retired that people began to warm up to him and realize how special he really was. I was one of the few fans of Lennox that I know of. People criticized me for being a Lennox fan. Everyone else preferred Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield. But who beat them both? Lennox Lewis did. He was the best fighter of the 90s.

I see the same thing happening with the Klitschko brothers. I grew up in the era of Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ken Norton and all those guys. I know a great fighter when I see one. You can always tell the diamond in the rough. The Klitschkos are not in the league of a prime Holyfield, Ali, Tyson, Foreman, Lennox etc but they're the best heavyweights we've got now. Enjoy their reign while they're here because when they retire, who will reign then? Its as if the heavyweight division will have no afterlife.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Shane
Wladimir might as well. Its there for the taking. But if it happens his legacy will be mixed because he didn't fight anyone of value other than knocking out Chris Bryd when he was shot. People say Rocky Marciano had no competition? Shit, wait until 70 years goes by and they look at the Klitschkos' records.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Zombies Ate Me
Do you think he'll fight a great opponent in those 14 fights? If so, who? Because they should already be active and yet I don't see anything like potential greatness out there.

If not, how can anyone justify a top 3 position when the fighter in question hasn't ever beaten a great opponent?

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Now that Manny is gone, it's safe to say that Wladimir will not come anywhere near Joe's record. I doubt he'll match Lennox Lewis or Larry Holmes' number of consecutive title defenses.

One of two things will inevitably happen...Wladimir will finally get knocked out without Manny in the corner to instruct him, or he'll manage to squeak out a few wins but look terrible doing so. Either way, look forward to something opening up in the heavyweight division sooner than later.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

the boston strong boy
klitsko is a cheese champion louis is a legend

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Courtney
A cheese champion? The division is a joke? I can't believe the lack of respect for Wlad around here. Gator and Boston Strong Boy, could either of you become the second longest reigning heavyweight champion in the history of the world? No matter how weak the era is it takes real talent to pull it off.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

After watching this fight last weekend, I think Steward's prediction will become a reality. Klitschko is just too big and skilled for these small heavyweights. Maybe Entaowed was right. Perhaps we need a super heavyweight division?

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Yeah. It's possible. But like you say, fighting only twice a year? At that rate he might be too old by the time he's approaching mid forties. If he's gonna break the record he might wanna fight more often. By the time he's had 21 defenses or so, someone may have come along who is a real threat.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

It's Dale
Currently Wladimir has 21 title defenses. He's already beat Holmes' record of 20 and Lewis' of 15. He's closing in on Louis' record of 25. He'll retire and rest on his laurels after breaking it.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Hmm...I'd like to see Wlad fight Louis' competition. Because of his height and reach I'd bet on him to beat many of Louis' opponents. But because of his suspect chin and inability to brawl, I wouldn't be as confident in him winning every fight.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

GatorPurify wrote
It is what it is. Congrats to Vlad if he gets it but this shows how much of a joke heavyweight boxing is today.
But you could also argue that it was a joke when Louis reigned surpreme, hence the name "bum of the month" though not all were bums.

I too would like to see them swap eras. Wlad could do well in the 30s and 40s if no one catches him flush. Max Baer and Tony Galento had the power to crush him bad but Wlad's sound boxing skills would keep them from getting close and he'd win an easy decision over both, possibly late knockout.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

After watching this fight last weekend, I think Steward's prediction will become a reality. Klitschko is just too big and skilled for these small heavyweights. Maybe Entaowed was right. Perhaps we need a super heavyweight division?
The big question is..when this inevitably happens, will Wlad's legacy overshadow Louis'? Think about it. He beat his record and would have beaten the same opponents Louis fought. Its possible that Wlad would eventually outrank Louis.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Zorro
Maximillian wrote

The big question is..when this inevitably happens, will Wlad's legacy overshadow Louis'?
No, no, and NO!!!! The only big names Wladimir fought were Ray Mercer and Chris Byrd and they were both looooooong past their prime when Wladimir knocked them out. Ray Mercer at his best would destroy glass-jawed Wladimir. If he takes it to Wlad the way he took it to Lewis forget it. Wlad can't fight that way.

Besides look at the names on the records of Louis and Wladimir. Louis beat Max and Buddy Baer, Jack Sharkey, Billy Conn, Jersey Joe Walcott, Abe Simon, John Henry Lewis, Primo Carnera, Tony Galento, Bob Pastor and many others. Some of these men were former champions themselves or at least at the top level. If Wladimir surpasses Louis' number of title defenses, good for him. But he wouldn't have conquered the same level of competition or reigned as champion as long as Louis did.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

redfeng007
Agreed.

He is still not among the Greatest.

How about fighting Tyson Fury & Deontay Wilder?

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

George Jefferson

redfeng007 wrote
Agreed.

He is still not among the Greatest.

How about fighting Tyson Fury & Deontay Wilder?
I say Wlad crushes them both. He's easily the best right now.

Re: Emmanuel Steward Says Wladimir Klitschko will break Joe Louis' record of 25 title defenses

Evolution
Emanuel's prediction will happen. I'm sure of it. Wlad is one of the toughest SOBs to lace up the gloves. I know it from sparring with the man. I like to take credit for helping to groom him into the assassin he is today.
12