Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Shane

Most people would think that big Sonny has this one sewn up, but I think otherwise. Liston would be better off using his lengthy jab to try and out box Holy, rather than get into a close range war with him.. Evander wrestled with bigger men than Liston and still won fights on shear heart and great conditioning. This would be one of the rare instances in which a heavywieght would not have a size advantage over holyfield. Sure Evander was about 210 in his prime, wheras Liston's best weight was arguably between 212-215, but Holyfield's BMI was about 95% lean tissue to 5% fat, whereas sonny's ratio was probably something like 80-20. In addition Evander had about 2 inches in height, a chin, stamina and overall durability that was far more proven. The man made a living brawling with Mike Tyson, Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, George Foreman and a myriad of other big men who can punch. At nearly 50 years of age, he has still only been stopped in two fights. Can't see Liston out lasting Evander in a slugfest, regardless of whatever legendary power he had...
Who wins?

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Evan Fields
No. Evander wouldn't make it. Granted, he has a chance if he kept moving and countering the way Ali did. But knowing Evander, he would want to rumble with the big boys and risk getting hurt in the process. It's a shame too because prime Evander has the tools to possibly beat Sonny Liston, but he would probably take a big gamble by trading with him. I must note also that Evander had a great chin, but come on. Sonny Liston was a great finisher.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Zorro
No no no. Evander doesn't make it against Big Sonny. Sonny's jab was 84 inches and powerful as hell. It was a knockout punch all its own. It's already been mentioned here that Evander has a solid chin but once Sonny stuns or hurts you with that jab or left hook, you're finished. I don't care who you are. And Evander liked to get in close and brawl with stronger opponents. Sonny would hurt Evander much more than Riddick Bowe did.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Depends on which version of Holyfield we're talking about. He's so inconsistent that you never know what he'll bring to the table on any given night. I think the Holyfield of the second Michael Moorer fight could outsmart and knock out Liston. On that night, Holyfield proved that he had the tools and intelligence to beat anyone. Holyfield was a bigger version of Ezzard Charles. I think he would control Liston by countering. Remember when Ali dropped Liston with that "phantom punch" counter? If you hit any man on the button and when he's off balance, you'll floor him.

I think the best Holyfield would beat the best Sonny Liston. But I'd be afraid to bet money on it because Holyfield was always unpredictable on fight nights. One night he fights brilliantly. 6 months later, he's terrible.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Shane
Evander Holyfield could jab, hook, cross, win on points, stop a guy late or knock him out early.. He proved he was capable of all these things against much larger men who were talented and in some cases even younger.... Even at cruiserweight, Holyfield was still beating fighters who were about the same size as the 1950's and 60's heavy's that Liston was beating. His heart, chin, conditioning, and work rate are among some of the division's best in its history. He had the strength to control Liston in the clinches as well... I'm not so sure that Liston could take much from Holyfield either.. He had his jaw broken by Marty Marshall, was stopped early twice by a young Ali and KO"d by the light hitting 199 lb Martin. Sure these were not Liston's best performances and he may have been outside of prime for some of them, but was Holyfield prime when he took Lennox Lewis's best for a combined 24 rounds without ever kissing the canvas?

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Zorro
Redemption wrote
 was Holyfield prime when he took Lennox Lewis's best for a combined 24 rounds without ever kissing the canvas?
Lennox Lewis had a careful, backpedaling style. Evander did not take the best of Lennox Lewis. In the first fight, Lennox played it safe with his long jab, and only had Evander hurt in the 5th round, but didn't finish him. Old Evander did much better in the rematch against prime Lennox, but you can't compare Lennox and Liston as fighters to make your point.

The only thing they had in common was power in both hands, a long powerful jab, and big uppercuts. Lennox had killer instinct when he wanted it, but only used it a few times, and it was against Golota, Grant. Botha and the first round with Mike Tyson. Sonny didn't waste any time and came out to kill you. He didn't prefer to jab his way to a decision like Lennox sometimes did. Every punch Sonny threw was thrown to knock your goddamn head off. Sonny had a much better chin than Lennox, too, evidenced by the fact that he was only knocked out when he was past it.

My point young man, is that prime Evander would most likely knock out prime Lennox because prime Lennox couldn't handle old Evander in the rematch and barely got the victory. Sonny Liston wasn't tall, lanky and cerebral like Lennox Lewis. Sonny was a monster in the ring. The only way Evander wins is if Sonny runs out of gas, but I don't think Evander would survive long enough to make that happy. Evander can't outjab Sonny and he can't outslug him either. No way does Evander pull a Cassius Clay and pull off the upset.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

You're always the outcast around here, I noticed. First you say you could beat prime Mike Tyson, then you say that Evander Holyfield would beat Sonny Liston. Even with the steroids he pumped, Evander would be no match for Sonny Liston, who had natural bulldozing strength.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Shane
The Gr8 One wrote
You're always the outcast around here, I noticed. First you say you could beat prime Mike Tyson, then you say that Evander Holyfield would beat Sonny Liston. Even with the steroids he pumped, Evander would be no match for Sonny Liston, who had natural bulldozing strength.
I bet I'd last longer against prime Tyson than you.  Sonny was stronger than Evander, but Evander could hit hard and he was naturally much faster than Sonny Liston. If Ali can knock out Sonny with a fast counter, so could Evander. You people really underestimate The Real Deal.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

I personally feel that on his best night, Holyfield would beat Liston, probably by knockout. Holyfield was never intimated by anyone.

The Holyfield of the Moorer rematch or the Tyson fights was bulked up with more muscle. In addition to having the muscle to slug it out, he also had quicker hands, excellent counter abilities and intelligent strategies. But as I've said before, Holyfield runs hot and cold all the time. If the two actually fought, I'd hesitate to put my money on Holyfield because you never know how he's going to perform on any given night.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Zombies Ate Me
Holy can box but don't move good enough to keep Liston away & willingly gets into a toe to toe battle and is steadily worn down, counted out about the 11th.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Rosco
I'm picking Liston!

I think the first few rounds are mega competitive but eventually Liston is able to keep Holyfield on the end of his jab.

Liston takes a points decision, 9-6 type scorecard.

In beating bowe, Holyfield beat a better man then Liston ever would, but Liston's physical attributes make me struggle to pick Holyfield over him.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Lennox had killer instinct when he wanted it, but only used it a few times, and it was against Golota, Grant, Botha and the first round with Mike Tyson.
Don't forget about the Razor Ruddock fight. Lewis got him outta there in round 2. He blasted Tyrell Biggs out really early too.

But to get back on topic, this would be one hell of a fight. But you know how Holyfield can be. If he gets foolish and tries to trade all night, he's gonna lose. If he fights as a counter-puncher, then he wins.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Shane
Ray Mercer was not in the league of Charles Sonny Liston but had the same tools- a big jab and left hook that set up big knockouts.

Evander had the ability to frustrate Sonny using Ali-esque tactics (lots of movement, side stepping and countering) or standing in and trading to fuck him up. Evander was tough enough to take Sonny's punches and even detour Sonny by not backing down.

Watch Evander's fights with Lennox (rematch), Cooper and Mercer to see how he'd handle Sonny Liston, especially the Mercer fight because Mercer was the most similar to Liston. (size, strength and style)

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Evan Fields
I've come to respect Evander a lot more lately. I got his fight collection on DVD and u gotta respect dis dude because he was in some brawls. I think he fought the best competition outside of Muhammad Ali.

Evander would either be too tough for Sonny or his courage would get him KO'd. I think Evander would lose but put up a lot of heart, similar to the first fight with Riddick Bowe. (Unless Sonny Liston quits)

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

But you know how Holyfield can be. If he gets foolish and tries to trade all night, he's gonna lose. If he fights as a counter-puncher, then he wins.
Evander had some of the same tools as prime Muhammad Ali--a great chin, quick hands and footwork (not on the level of Ali but very good regardless) and lots of heart and courage. You said what I was going to say. If Evander stays on the outside all night he wins, just as Muhammad Ali did. But if he at any point decides to get tough and slug it out with Sonny, he may not get knocked out right away but it would be the beginning of the end. If he fights Sonny the way he fought Riddick Bowe in the rematch then he'd get a late knockout once Sonny tires and loses confidence.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

This is one of those fantasy fights I'd love to see.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Hit Em' Hard
I like Holyfield here. Why? The size between the two is close enough to even. Holyfield was the faster of the two, and had a very good chin. He was also an excellent counter puncher, and had the type of heart to force the other guy’s intangibles or lack thereof to come into play. But remember that Evander's prime was at cruiserweight but he did have a good run as a heavier fighter from '95-99.

Liston was a bit of a bully front runner type. We just hardly saw Liston struggle thanks in part to easy match ups for him. This isn’t one of them.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Zorro
Evander came within a hair of getting KO'd by Bert Cooper. If the ropes hadn't broke his fall and if Mills Lane hadn't given an 8 count, Evander would have been another of Bert's KO victims. You can't convince me otherwise.

You also have to take into account that Sonny Liston was much better than Ray Mercer and the fading version of Mike Tyson that Evander dominated. Like I said before, Liston would hurt Evander more than Bowe did because he was even more powerful, more skilled and had longer reach.

I'm a fan of Evander. He was a great champion and a great warrior. But peak to peak Sonny wins by KO. Evander would, however, probably knock out the undertrained older Liston that threw those fights against Cassius Clay.

Re: Evander Holyfield Would Beat Sonny Liston

Hit Em' Hard wrote
I like Holyfield here. Why? The size between the two is close enough to even. Holyfield was the faster of the two, and had a very good chin. He was also an excellent counter puncher, and had the type of heart to force the other guy’s intangibles or lack thereof to come into play. But remember that Evander's prime was at cruiserweight but he did have a good run as a heavier fighter from '95-99.

Liston was a bit of a bully front runner type. We just hardly saw Liston struggle thanks in part to easy match ups for him. This isn’t one of them.
Right on my man. Sonny was slow and predictable. Evander had good mobility and could counter Liston two or three times for every punch Liston missed. I really believe that Evander would take Liston's heart away with his hard counter shots. When he counters with those left hooks to the body and head and big right hands to the head Sonny would freeze in his tracks and reconsider finishing the fight. Evander has more than enough tools to beat Sonny. This one ends with Sonny on the floor refusing to get up just as Douglas did.
123