Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Shogun of Harlem

Who you got? 15 rounds
Who you got?

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Holyfield could really take a punch, guys. He'd be prepared for Rocky's attack. Holyfield could adapt well. Remember that he beat Bert Cooper, Mike Tyson and Ray Mercer, all of whom had swarming, hard-hitting styles like Rocky. I'm a big Rocky fan but I think Evander wins by decision or late TKO. He could box, brawl and counterpunch. Rocky could only fight forward. Lou Duva said once that only Evander came close to matching Rocky's conditioning. Style-wise I pick Evander but the real winner would be the crowd.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Friday The 13th...
You put up a good case for Holyfield, Duggerman. But what Rocky was better than Mercer, Cooper and the fading version of Tyson that Holy fought. Rocky wouldn't stop attacking and he'd never run out of gas. I'm not saying that Holy can't win but it'd be a tougher fight than the others Holy had with guys of Rocky's size and style.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Hit Em' Hard
Evander didn't like getting hit in the body. That was the one chink in his armor. Evander would win the early rounds but Rocky's body punching and overall aggression grinds him down and stops him late. TKO for the Rock.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

49-0
Hit Em' Hard wrote
Evander didn't like getting hit in the body. That was the one chink in his armor. Evander would win the early rounds but Rocky's body punching and overall aggression grinds him down and stops him late. TKO for the Rock.
Beat me to it.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Zorro
I like Rocky by TKO. Lou Duva was right. Evander was in top shape but not all the time. Rocky was always in perfect condition and gave his best in each fight. I can't say the same about holyfield, even though I'm a fan of his.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Rosco
Evander's pin-point accuracy causes a cut or two that forces Rocky to bleed half to death. This one would be a good fight but Holyfield had the ability to fight brawl and box. This would be similar to the Marciano-Charles fights. Evander had a style very similar to Ezzard Charles. It would be a close and enjoyable fight until Rocky's cuts forces the ref or ring doctor to halt the fight in favor of Evander.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Holyfield could really take a punch, guys. He'd be prepared for Rocky's attack. Holyfield could adapt well. Remember that he beat Bert Cooper, Mike Tyson and Ray Mercer, all of whom had swarming, hard-hitting styles like Rocky. I'm a big Rocky fan but I think Evander wins by decision or late TKO. He could box, brawl and counterpunch. Rocky could only fight forward. Lou Duva said once that only Evander came close to matching Rocky's conditioning. Style-wise I pick Evander but the real winner would be the crowd.
Yes. Evander knocks him out in a close war.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Shane
I voted Rocky. Evander's heart is bigger than his body. You know how he gets sometimes. He'd try to slug it out with Rocky and that's something you just don't do. Even when he fought Tyson he kept him guessing by slugging, boxing and countering. Tyson couldn't adapt because Evander alternated between three different styles all night. But when he fought Riddick Bowe and Bert Cooper he got hurt for trying to brawl the whole fight. Its good that Evander can fight toe to toe but if he tries that all night with Rocky he loses. So for that reason I have to vote Rocky by KO/TKO although this is more of a pick against Evander than a pick for Marciano.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Urban Legend
This would be Ezzard Charles all over again for Rocky. I pick Rocky by decision. I can't see either guy staying on the canvas although I think Evander would drop Rocky at least twice. This would go to the cards. Close decision but Rocky wins because of a higher volume of punches.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

BAD INTENTIONS
I got Evander for this one...Rocky hits hard but no way does he knock out Evander. Rocky was open to counters which works in Evander's favor....and Rocky cut really easy.... Rocky loses by TKO.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Kid Dynamite
Shogun of Harlem wrote

Who you got? 15 rounds
First let me say that the photoshop is terrible.

But one unique thing about a fantasy fight like this pitting a classic fighter against a modern one is that both of them were used to going 15 rounds. Early in his career as a cruiserweight, Evander fought 15 rounders so we know he had the stamina to go the distance.

I can say with confidence that Evander would stop Rocky on cuts or late TKO. Evander would have a field day countering Rocky's looping haymakers. Evander was a bigger, more modern version of Ezzard Charles and Ezzard gave Rocky his toughest fights ever. As evidenced with the Ezzard Charles fights, Rocky had problems with sharp punching counterpunchers who could box or slug at any given moment. Evander was a better fighter than Ezzard Charles at heavyweight. I can't picture Ezzard Charles beating Foreman, Tyson, Mercer, Cooper, Dokes, Bowe, etc.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Zombies Ate Me
Whats funny is that I pick Evander to beat Marciano but not Frazier, mainly because Evander could pick off Rocky's looping haymakers.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Evan Fields
Being a superb counterpuncher, Evander would drop Rocky probably numerous times in this fight, kind of like the way he kept dropping Michael Moorer. Rocky's balance was so bad that he often tripped over his own feet or threw himself off balance and hit the floor while trying to throw a power punch. Those amatuerish mistakes would get him dropped by Evander.

Rocky cut horribly too and Evander was a very accurate puncher. Because of his counter punching, accurate punching ,superior speed, iron chin and overall skill I see Evander winning this one in five. TKO would be the outcome.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

49-0
Rocky all the way. I agree that Evander would give Rocky the same problems Ezzard Charles did. People underrate Evander's good jab and left hook. But he would eventually wilt to Rocky's pressure and nonstop punishment. Plus Evander could never wrestle and bully Rocky he way he did Mike Tyson. Rocky never takes a backwards step. He's always forward, always punching.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

J.C.
Evan Fields wrote
TKO would be the outcome.
There'd be a TKO alright, only it's Evander on the receiving end of it.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Evolution
J.C. wrote
There'd be a TKO alright, only it's Evander on the receiving end of it.
Nope although it is a hard fight to call because both men were too small but had buckets of heart and legendary toughness. Frankly I think Evander would pull off what Ezzard Charles failed to do in their two fights. Evander was faster and would feast on Rocky with counter shots. I say it ends with Rocky bleeding badly from a cut.. or less likely Evander wins on the cards. TKO more likely.

 Rocky was one tough son of a bitch but he wouldn't win this one. All he brings is power, courage and stamina. Evander has the speed, intelligence, stamina, courage and technical talents to get the duke.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

With no PEDs? I believe Evander loses to Marciano, Frazier and Norton.
With PEDs? Big difference.

Re: Evander Holyfield versus Rocky Marciano

Sivul
I pick Evander in this one without much reservation. A crude slugger throwing wild haymakers against an A+ counterpuncher with a good jab and great hooks? The math is easy.

Plus Rocky struggled in two fights with Ezzard Charles who had the same style as Evander. Ezzard was probably better than Evander, but since Evander was bigger and defeated much better opposition than Charles, I gotta lean with The Real Deal on this one.
12