FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

MAGUIRE
The classic clash of speed versus power. Floyd was quick and could hurt Bean when he cracks him with his vaunted and explosive left hook. But he was chinny and Butterbean is a monster hitter. Does he kayo Floyd and roll him up into a footlong sub sandwich for lunch? Easy fight for Floyd but i can imagine a kayo win for the hungry butterman
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Zombies Ate Me
It's over when Floyd smashes that fat boy with the gazelle punch.

Photobucket

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Kid Dynamite
Floyd could beat Butterbean to a pulp alright but I ain't sure about him knocking him out. Butterbean is hard to get rid of. I think it's all over the moment Butterbean lands.

FP is one of the few (if not only) ATG heavyweights that Butterbean might knock out.

Maguire I love your avatar. Michael Jackson used to be the shit back then.  Amazing performer.

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Maximillian
For the first time in my life I'm betting on Butterbean.

But it's more of a pick against Patterson than for Bean. Bean would eventually land. And that's when that chin of Patterson's would break and crumble like a cookie....

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Zombies Ate Me
Look at the massive size difference between these two....

Doesn't matter. Floyd was so fast with his hands and there's no way Butterbean could dodge the leaping left hook aka "Gazelle Punch." Floyd was an underrated puncher. Remember when he knocked Ingemar Johanson out cold and his foot lay there twitching?

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Left Hook From Hell...
Zombies Ate Me wrote
Look at the massive size difference between these two....

OMG Butterbean is a fat so and so so and so. Geeez. He was allowed to fight being so big? I'm surprised by that.

And as far as the fight goes, wouldn't this be similar to Butterbean versus Mike Tyson? Floyd and Tyson had the same style right? (Although I still think Tyson was more similar to Joe Frazier but whatev).

Photobucket
Killer KO. I didn't know Floyd could pop like that. So left hooks are also called Gazelle Punches? Never heard that name before.

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

The Gazelle punch was named specifically for Floyd's speedy leaping shot, not all left hooks.
Right on. You just gave me a thread idea.

The threat of Floyd getting knocked out by Butterbean is a real danger. The longer the fight lasts, the longer that threat looms.

But Floyd, as someone said in another thread, was a boxer who could swarm. He'd be clever enough not to stay in front of Butterbean all night. Floyd was small but he had a pretty good jab he could use from the distance, then he'd leap in and explode with his Gazelle Punch or other attacks. Butterbean wouldn't see the blows coming.

Floyd was wrong for coming straight to Sonny Liston the way he did. He admitted such in a later interview. Likewise, if he attempted that same strategy against Butterbean the same thing would happen.

If he fought Butterbean the way Ezzard Charles would he'd be alright and get a decision.

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

If he fought Butterbean the way Ezzard Charles would he'd be alright and get a decision.
 How would Ezzard Charles fight Butterbean? Forgive me because I don't know much about him other than him breaking Rocky Marciano;s nose. Would he do that to Butterbean too? Or does Butterbean knock him flat the way Rocky did?  You guys are the experts.

Entaowed wrote

The case has been made in a a detailed,  ironclad way about how the styles of Tyson & Frazier are not more than superficially similar.  Tyson is a great student of boxing & admired Frazier, you are clearly confusing height, come forward approaches with pressure, volume, amount & kinds of combinations, even TYPE of movement.  Floyd & Tyson fought a similar fleet footed peek-a-boo style & both taught by Cus, D'Amato, there is really zero doubt about these matters.  Tyson had much more muscle so it may be hard for a novice to notice the great similarities.
Maybe so but it's my opinion that Frazier and Tyson were far more similar. If they weren't, why did so many commentators compare Tyson to Frazier in his early fights? Floyd Patterson might have used the same style and had the same teacher but he was no where near as aggressive and didn't stay in your face all night the way Frazier and Tyson would. I never saw Tyson fight from distance using the jab in a 'boxer' style the way Floyd sometimes did.

That's just my opinion on this. Just like it's your opinion that Holyfield was on 'roids. You mention that in every thread involving him. There was no concrete proof and you'd think a popular champion like Evander would have been punished for such a deed. But it's your opinion that he cheated with 'roids, just like it's my opinion that Frazier and Tyson were similar. Not the same exactly but similar.

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Just like it's your opinion that Holyfield was on 'roids. You mention that in every thread involving him.
So you noticed that too, huh? Entaowed is one of my favorite posters here. He's a fun one to chat with and has great observations. But he can be repetitive at times, such as always bringing up PEDs in relation to Evander and bringing up the same things repeatedly in the Tyson-Ali thread even when we'd already discussed it and appeared to be moving on from it.

Imagine if I brought up the fact that Mike Tyson had a bad haircut in his fight with Tyrell Biggs in every post I made about Mike Tyson.

That's how Entaowed is each time he mentions Evander Holyfield. He also doesn't let Duggerman ever forget his low ranking of Joe Louis.

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

 The commenters who compare Tyson & Frazier-feel free to show me HOW they did, because if not plain wrong, it might have been re: success, height, or dominance, not style.
Go to 2:43 seconds in this clip. The commentators made comparisons in punching/style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVmXySNKpYI

Also there's a thread here called "Mike Tyson says his style is not like Joe Frazier's." There was a video in the first post of that thread that has sadly been removed from youtube but in it, Tyson was brushing off comparisons to Frazier. The announcers showed clips of Frazier's knockouts and were comparing them to Mike Tyson's knockouts but Tyson was denying the comparisons. Gawd I wish that video was still up. But for now, the one I just linked you to is the only evidence at the moment. I don't feel like browsing youtube all night looking for announcer comparisons.

Look, no two fighters are exactly the same. Mike and Joe were not identical but they remind me of each other. That's all there is to it. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. No need to be pushy. If you disagree, then just disagree so we can talk about something else.

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Left Hook From Hell...
Yeah i'm a little irritable because u keep bringing the same things up. You bring it up in different threads...its like you're trying to bully or force me to change my mind. When u post sometimes its the same conversation. I know Mike and Floyd had the same style but they used it differently. To me Frazier and Mike fought a lot alike. Funny when I posted a link of them being compared you had nothing to say. You asked for an example and when I gave you an example of commentators making comparisons of their styles u ignored it.

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

I know a haircut is irrelevant but you constantly bring up the steroid allegations. You can't mention Evander without it. Whether it's true or not there's more to him than that. It is highly annoying that you do this and repeat some of the same things all the time. The Tyson and Ali thread constantly goes in circles for example because you don't let things go even when people explain why they have the opinion they do. I know AJ repeated himself a thousand times to you alone! This isn't an attack. With respect, i think you should hold off on the reruns. Other than that I love your posts!

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

If he fought Butterbean the way Ezzard Charles would he'd be alright and get a decision.
 How would Ezzard Charles fight Butterbean? Forgive me because I don't know much about him other than him breaking Rocky Marciano;s nose. Would he do that to Butterbean too? Or does Butterbean knock him flat the way Rocky did?  You guys are the experts.
We're no experts. In fact most of us go by opinions based on observations. We're just fans sharing opinions. An expert would be someone like Freddie Roach posting here. Glad you appreciate our viewpoints!

Ezzard Charles was a smaller Evander Holyfield. Same heart and same style - a counter-puncher with a great chin, brilliant ring intellect and the ability to box or slug. Ezzard did well against a fading Joe Louis and a prime Rocky Marciano. He alternated between boxing and brawling with them. He'd fight the same fight against Butterbean I'm sure. Box him, land jabs and combinations from the distance, and every once in a while dive in and hit him with power punches and then retreat before Butterbean can lay into him.

Patterson would likely fight the same fight. He was quicker than Ezzard and a more explosive puncher, but Ezzard had a much better chin than Patterson. Like I said earlier, Floyd should be the favorite but the threat of Floyd getting knocked out is a real one.

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Weak ego huh? Tell you what. Let's just ignore each other. Other people around here have said the SAME DAMN THING about you repeating shi-- stuff. I'm NOT the only person that feels this way evidently. I just know I'm sick and tired of hearing about Evander's alleged PEDs, AJ's low ranking of Joe Louis , how Mike Tyson is more similar to Floyd Patterson and Joe Frazier (I disagree but I guess I'm not entitled to my own opinion) and your rerun explanations of why Ali would beat Mike Tyson. I don't wanna hear it anymore. So let's just move on please.

Re: FLOYD PATTERSON VERSUS BUTTERBEAN....

Weak ego huh? Tell you what. Let's just ignore each other. Other people around here have said the SAME DAMN THING about you repeating shi-- stuff. I'm NOT the only person that feels this way evidently. I just know I'm sick and tired of hearing about Evander's alleged PEDs, AJ's low ranking of Joe Louis , how Mike Tyson is more similar to Floyd Patterson and Joe Frazier (I disagree but I guess I'm not entitled to my own opinion) and your rerun explanations of why Ali would beat Mike Tyson. I don't wanna hear it anymore. So let's just move on please.
Someone's PMS'ing.