Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Shogun of Harlem
Who had faster hands? I say it was Muhammad Ali but you could make a good case for Floyd as well.
Quicker Hand Speed?

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

It's Dale
Muhammad. I've never seen hands that fast.

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Muhammad had the quicker jab. Floyd had the quicker hooks and straight right.

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Muhammad had the quicker jab. Floyd had the quicker hooks and straight right.
Good point. Muhammad Ali was the quickest heavyweight overall on hand and foot but you're damn right about Patterson's hooks and straight right being quicker.

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

KB50MJ
You guys think that their speed had anything to do with weight? Because they were both pretty light for heavyweights.

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Shane
KB50MJ wrote
You guys think that their speed had anything to do with weight? Because they were both pretty light for heavyweights.
Ali's speed was more amazing because he was 210 pounds or so. Floyd Patterson was only 185 pounds. A crusier weight, really. It's really not fair to compare. Naturally Floyd would be a little faster. But Ali had exceptional speed for a big man.

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Friday The 13th...
I disagree that Muhammad Ali was a "light heavyweight." A light heavyweight is someone like Bob Foster. He was 6'3 but nothing but bone. He was only 188 pounds.

bob foster photo: Bob Foster #2 BobFoster2.jpg

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Friday The 13th...
I didn't literally mean he was skin and bones but you know what I mean. lol. He looked anorexic and unhealthy.  At 188 pounds he only weighed three pounds less than Patterson during his prime.

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Shogun of Harlem wrote
Who had faster hands? I say it was Muhammad Ali but you could make a good case for Floyd as well.
When they fought each other Muhammad looked much faster. Floyd was quick in spurts but Muhammad was fast as a mouse for the entire duration of a fight.

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Muhammad had the quicker jab. Floyd had the quicker hooks and straight right.
In the May 5, 1969 Sports Illustrated, Ali’s jab was measured with an omegascope. Ali’s jab, it was found, could smash a balsa board 16.5 inches away in 19/100 of a second. It actually covered the distance in 4/100 of a second, which is the blink of an eye. Jimmy Jacobs, who owned the world’s largest collection of fight films, said that on film tests with a synchronizer Ali’s jab was faster than that of Sugar Ray Robinson. Jacobs contended that Ali was not only the fastest heavyweight, but also the fastest fighter he ever saw on film.

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/ali.html

Re: Faster Hands?:Ali or Patterson

Evolution
Ali noticeably lost some foot speed after the layoff, but I'd say his jab was still prime until 1974.