Fearing Tyson

Sivul wrote
No one has mentioned that Tyson had an intimidation factor that Tua lacked. Whose to say whether Tyson would scare Ike into survival mode where he's scared to throw back? Sure Tua was similar to Tyson but he wasn't Tyson. Tua never had men psychologically beaten before the fight started the way Tyson often did.
This post from Sivul in another thread made me think: Why is it that Tyson had an intimidation factor that other big punchers didn't have? Most would agree that Shavers hit harder than Mike Tyson, but Shavers never had guys shaking in their boots or terrified before even walking out to the ring.

Tua, Morrison, Mercer and others had styles clearly based on Tyson, and each could punch as hard (if not harder) than Iron Mike but they lacked putting fear in the heart of their opponents. Why is that? What made Iron Mike so damn scary? And why were similar fighters not as intimidating?

Re: Fearing Tyson

Re: Fearing Tyson

MAGUIRE
In Mike's case the media sensationalized his destructive punching power. Yea, f**king A he could hit. No doubt about that. But watching him bulldoze through much older and bigger men in less than a round discouraged future opponents. If you ask me it was the hype that scared people more than Tyson himself. I personally don't feel he was any more intimidating than Louis, Liston, Foreman or any other big puncher. Shavers, Tua, Morrison and all those others didn't have the same promotion as Iron Mike. That's all. He was hyped to be this wrecking machine.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Fearing Tyson

[...]

There's a mystique that Sonny Liston and Mike Tyson had that some other sluggers lacked. They could just look at you and defeat you psyhcologically. Especially Liston.

BUT you could argue that Tyson was scarier than any other heavyweight champion. Sonny Liston and George Foreman lost their "fear factor" when they lost to Muhammad Ali. Even after losing to Douglas and Holyfield Tyson maintained his reputation. It wasn't until he was knocked out by Lewis that no one feared him anymore.

BUT you could argue that Tyson was scarier than any other heavyweight champion. Sonny Liston and George Foreman lost their "fear factor" when they lost to Muhammad Ali. Even after losing to Douglas and Holyfield Tyson maintained his reputation. It wasn't until he was knocked out by Lewis that no one feared him anymore.
This. You KNOW Mike was a bad mutha when he was still widely feared after those ass kickings he took. But like others have said, Mike was packaged as a monster. People fear Freddie Kreuger because he's promoted as a monster. Same thing. And Earnie Shavers and others just weren't promoted as destructive animals the way Mike was,

Re: Fearing Tyson

Re: Fearing Tyson

The media created Mike Tyson. I remember it all too well. They could have done the same thing to Joe Frazier if they chose to.

Re: Fearing Tyson

MAGUIRE
Yes a few could hit harder than Tyson-for individual shots.
Not sure. Can you elaborate on that? Tyson destroyed many a guy with one punch. Marvis Frazier, Michael Jack Johnson, Frans Botha and many others come to mind. One sudden punch POW! and it was over. Marvis told Duggerman that everything suddenly went quiet and peaceful and all the noise stopped when Tyson cracked him with that uppercut! lol. But I don't see any evidence that Tua or Morrison hit harder.

Dale wrote
 It wasn't until he was knocked out by Lewis that no one feared him anymore.
By that point EVERYONE knew how to beat Mike Tyson! Jab him, then hold or uppercut. Rinse and repeat. And get him past round 4.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Fearing Tyson

Tyson also had a predatory manner about him.
Thats true. This is a good thread. Sonny Liston was like a cold-blooded killer. Mike was more like a predator.

Re: Fearing Tyson

Re: Fearing Tyson

Left Hook From Hell...
I don't know about you all but I would definitely fear someone who can hit like this!

Re: Fearing Tyson

Brooklyn's Finest
Left Hook From Hell... wrote
I don't know about you all but I would definitely fear someone who can hit like this!

Hahahahahahaha. I was KNOCKED OUT by that SAME uppercut on more than one occasion sparring with Mike. The kid put in serious work. More than once new guys would show up to spar and after seeing Mike fuck somebody up they would leave and not get paid a thing. Mike was kid dynamite for real.

Re: Fearing Tyson

Joe Frazier was a feared heavyweight in his prime especially after he beat Ali in the FOTC. He relinquished his fear factor and 'invinsibility' to George Foreman when he lost to him in '73.

When Ali beat George, no one feared George anymore despite his massive punch. You knew you had hope if you could get him late in the fight.

Mike was aggressive. I've seen him jump off the mat just to land a punch square on the chin. There was a savageness about him not seen since the prime of Jack Dempsey.

George Foreman was scary in his prime too but Mike used to destroy guys so quickly and brutally that you feared breathing the same air as him. Mike told me once that he attempted to punch through a person's face to the back of their head. That's aggression, folks.

Re: Fearing Tyson

I read somewhere (I think in the Facing Tyson book) that Bonecrusher Smith signed to fight Tyson shortly before the Tyson-Berbrick fight took place. Smith recalled that when he watched the fight live and saw Berbrick go down three times from one left hook, Smith's manager looked at him and said, "And you're fighting him next," and a chill went down his body.

Those images of Tyson bulldozing his opposition is pyschologically damaging, especially when you're due to fight him. Marvis Frazier had zero fear of Tyson and look what happened when they fought.

Re: Fearing Tyson

Zombies Ate Me
I mean just look at the man.

Look at his build and the angry predatory eyes. Look at what he did to men in the ring. No matter how big they were or how old they were, they were destroyed. And after 1997 you had MORE reason to fear the dude because he might break the rules and eat your ass.

Re: Fearing Tyson

Same applied to Mark Young.

He has no fear on Tyson, but got knocked out cold in the end.

Re: Fearing Tyson

Reminded me of Andrew Golota's fight.

He quit against Tyson as he fought even more dirty than him.

Re: Fearing Tyson

Zombies Ate Me
Lou Saverese stood up to George Foreman for 12 long rounds and didn't go down. He came close to winning the fight. But when Mike Tyson jumped at him with a wild left hook he went down before the blow landed! George lacked the intimdation factor of Iron Mike despite hitting a little harder.

Re: Fearing Tyson

Urban Legend
Sh.it, look how scared the security guards look here! Pure TERROR on their faces while Tyson goes insane.

Re: Fearing Tyson

The Golden Jet
Urban Legend wrote
Sh.it, look how scared the security guards look here! Pure TERROR on their faces while Tyson goes insane.

They look scared as hell!!!!!
12