Fight Styles Breakdown

Big Red
I like the producer's way of breaking down the different boxing styles in this clip. My question is, which style is your favorite? And which style is your least favorite? And do you think the producer got them right?

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

George Jefferson
I think it's an excellent analysis and one that's easy to comprehend even if you're not a fight fan. And I like how he didn't focus entirely on heavyweight, even giving Pernell Whitaker some spotlight.

My favorite style is the brawler- you know, the Foreman types. They may be predictable because they rarely set things up or be patient and wait for openings but they bring the pain and that's all they care about. They make things exciting. This is why I like guys like Foreman, Marciano, hell I enjoy fat Butterbean too. lol.

My least favorite style is the classic boxer types like Braddock, Jermaine Taylor and the like. They're not necessarily boring. They just don't seem as unique as some of the other styles.

These video games are getting more and more realistic and fun year by year. And Fight Night Champion was even better than this one!

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

Evolution
RJJ was awesome. I went to several of his fights and watched him spar on many occasions although I never trained with him. I was there the night he cracked Virgill Hill with that unholy body punch.

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

RJJ was awesome. I went to several of his fights and watched him spar on many occasions although I never trained with him. I was there the night he cracked Virgill Hill with that unholy body punch.
What style did you fight with Evolution?

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

My favorite style is the in-fighter. My least favorite is the brawler, so slow and predictable. The only thing interesting about them are the big knockouts. Ironically they are the easiest boxers to beat; you just gotta do what you can not to get clocked.

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

BAD INTENTIONS
I think the out-fighters are generally the better ring generals and control the action. The inside fighters have a much tougher task. They have to move into the second phase of fighting immediately and take the ring generalship from the out-boxer.

Like, you watch Ali and Frazier take turns being the ring general in their fights, but Ali maintained control more in the rematch and in Manilla although Frazier owned him during most of the middle-later rounds.

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

What style did you fight with Evolution?
I was a tricky outside fighter...I could get aggressive when I wanted but I hid behind my jab and surprised guys with my straight right. That was my knockout smash, I threw it right down the pipe and unexpectedly.

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

I've always preferred the little guys with a big punch - Dempsey, Tyson, Tua, Frazier, Marciano, etc. That's my favorite style to watch- they bring it and make bigger men uncomfortable.

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

I like how Marciano was a swarmer/infighter but had the power and ruthless aggression of a brawler. He was a combination of two different styles which is part of what made him such a killer.

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

Phantom Punch wrote
I like how Marciano was a swarmer/infighter but had the power and ruthless aggression of a brawler. He was a combination of two different styles which is part of what made him such a killer.
Right! You could say the same thing about Joe Frazier.

Tyson never had the tenacity of Frazier or Marciano, but during the Cus D'Amato/Kevin Rooney days he was more of an aggressive in-fighter. But later he became more of a brawler. The combinations and head movement faded. It was more about smashing you on the chin with that big right hand.

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

Rosco
You could see Rocky emerge slowly from being just a random one punch banger to a vicious volume puncher. By the time he got to Louis he was overwhelming guys with constant attacks. This made him even more dangerous.

Re: Fight Styles Breakdown

I was a tricky outside fighter...I could get aggressive when I wanted but I hid behind my jab and surprised guys with my straight right. That was my knockout smash, I threw it right down the pipe and unexpectedly.

I can see how you’d make a tough opponent by doing that. It’s hard to block a sudden jolt like that.
Malik El Debarge Wright