Fights That Never Happened, But Should Have

Fights That Never Happened, But Should Have

What are some fights you wanted to see that never took place, and what would your predictions be?

Jack Johnson/Jack Dempsey: (1915-1919) Jack Johnson repeatedly called out Jack Dempsey, but Dempsey ignored all black boxers. Johnson was washed up by the time Dempsey hit the scene, and would have been massacred by the ferocious fighter. I believe Dempsey would have licked Johnson even in his prime. He was too quick and explosive for Johnson.

Rocky Marciano/ Floyd Patterson: (1956) Cus D'Amato purposely waited until Marciano retired to allow Patterson to move up to heavyweight and challenge for the world title. I think Patterson would have given Marciano a good fight, maybe even dropping him once. (I say this because Patterson was fresh and Marciano showed subtle signs of decline in his last two fights). But Rocky's thunderous punches and Patterson's glass jaw make a bad combination. A maturing Marciano would have knocked out Patterson and went 50-0.

Joe Frazier/Sonny Liston: (1966-1970) These two could have fought during the late 60s when Frazier was champ and Sonny was on the comeback trail. After the losses to Ali, Liston was on a roll. He was stopped by Leotis Martin, but otherwise was having great success. Frazier was the champ and cleaning out the division. Frazier would have definitely murdered the aging Sonny Liston of the late 60s. He was too fast and applied too much pressure. I think Liston would have quit after taking so many thunderous left hook counters to the head and body. I'm still surprised that this fight didn't take place. Frazier would have been the one to retire Liston. Peak Frazier is a threat to anybody.

Larry Holmes/George Foreman: (1970s) Big George began to falter after his loss to Ali. He had an epic battle with Ron Lyle, but was easily dispatched by Jimmy Young in 1977. Following this loss, Foreman retired. Holmes was on the scene and eager to fight Foreman, but Foreman's schedule ran hot and cold. I think Holmes would have beaten Foreman because he had the movement and jab to keep him confused. He also had the chin to survive Foreman's thudding shots.

George Foreman/Mike Tyson (Late 80s, early 90s) Big George used to call out Tyson during this period. Tyson wanted no part of the old man and ducked him. Good thing, too. He would have murdered him in cold blood.

Lennox Lewis/Riddick Bowe (1993) Riddick famously ducked Lewis and dumped the WBC championship in the trash. Lewis had previously knocked out Bowe in the amatuers in only 2 rounds. I think Lewis would have done the same as a pro, in a similar fashion to how he destroyed Razor Ruddock.

Re: Fights That Never Happened, But Should Have

49-0
I wanted to see Tommy Morrison fight Mike Tyson in the 90s. Tyson missed out on a lot when he was in the pen.

Re: Fights That Never Happened, But Should Have

GatorPurify
49-0 wrote
I wanted to see Tommy Morrison fight Mike Tyson in the 90s. Tyson missed out on a lot when he was in the pen.
I heard about this fight. I saw a YouTube special about Morrison discussing this. It stated that a fight between Morrison and Tyson on deck (even after Tyson prison release) but once Tommy was diagnosed with HIV it dissolved. No too many people were willing to take a chance on Tommy after this. I think it was the times as well,unfortunately. People were still ignorant of HIV in many ways.

Re: Fights That Never Happened, But Should Have

GatorPurify
Ali/Foreman II
We've all seen The Rumble In The Jungle. Great fight and great victory by Ali. Foreman called out Ali for years for a rematch but Ali ducked him. I would of liked to see this fight. George was not gonna fall for the "rope a dope" strategy again. I wonder what strategy Ali would have used in a second fight? A shame we never got to see this fight.

Re: Fights That Never Happened, But Should Have

I think Big George would have clobbered Ali if they had a rematch. Certainly, he wouldn't fall for the rope-a-dope strategy twice. But think of this also; Foreman became a fanatic about maintaining his stamina after Zaire. In fact, he was obsessed with conserving stamina for the rest of his career. When he was doing commentary on HBO, he used to routinely get frustrated with certain fighters like Shannon Briggs and Ray Mercer, yelling things like "Don't do that son!! Conserve your energy!! You'll run out of gas!!!"

What I'm getting at is this; I think Ali may have found a way to outsmart Big George again. Foreman would not look forward to going out there and destroying Ali like he did the first time. He would try to conserve his energy and patiently draw Ali in. This would allow Ali to outbox him for 12 rounds. If old Ali can outmaneuver young Earnie Shavers, he could do the same to George. Jimmy Young also made Foreman look bad, and Young was nothing more than a small Muhammad Ali impersonator. The "rope-a-dope" left a permanent scar on Foreman's psyche. After that fight, he never went out there to brutally destroy you. He became more patient, which would work against him with fighters like Ali, Holmes and others. The Jimmy Young fight proved this.

Joe Frazier said in his book that when he fought Foreman again in 1976, he wasn't the same fighter. Frazier's non-stop movement gave Foreman's fits, but Foreman was too hesitate to let loose with power shots. Because of all this, it's possible that Ali could have beaten George again, only by outboxing him this time, because I doubt Foreman would go out there and be careless again. But this is all argumentative. It could go either way. But it says a lot that Ali ducked him. He probably knew he wouldn't get lucky again.

Re: Fights That Never Happened, But Should Have

Zorro
AJ you hit the nail on the head. George Foreman was unsure of himself after losing to Muhammad and was afraid to throw caution to the wind like he used to. Ali would use this to his advantage the same way that Jimmy Young did, only better.

Re: Fights That Never Happened, But Should Have

GatorPurify wrote
Ali/Foreman II
We've all seen The Rumble In The Jungle. Great fight and great victory by Ali. Foreman called out Ali for years for a rematch but Ali ducked him. I would of liked to see this fight. George was not gonna fall for the "rope a dope" strategy again. I wonder what strategy Ali would have used in a second fight? A shame we never got to see this fight.
I think Ali would have KO'd George again. It would have been worse than the disaster against Jimmy Young.

Photobucket

Re: Fights That Never Happened, But Should Have

Evolution
There are some great posts here and I agree that George Foreman was an incomplete fighter from 1974 until '77. He was in transition to becoming the more mature fighter I sparred with in the 90s. The George Foreman I rumbled with in sparring sessions had a huge jab and always set you up for huge punches. From 74-77 he was a lost fighter, afraid to pull the trigger for fear of tiring out. George could have cut the ring and knocked out Jimmy Young 12 times if he wanted to. But he didn't want to repeat what happened against Muhammad Ali. Ali would have crushed him if they fought again because George washi unsure of himself.

I also think it's incorrect to say that Ali ducked George because after the loss to Ali, George took a year off from boxing. When he came back he wasn't ready for Ali. Had he won the fight with Jimmy Young, he would have gotten a rematch with Ali. But since he lost, Jimmy Young fought Ali for the title instead.