Floyd Patterson

Floyd Patterson is one of my favorite boxers of all time. He had such swift hands, and his repertoire included a terrific left hook and a chilling right hand. Some of you have said that he used the peek-a-boo techniques better than Mike Tyson. If Patterson had more self confidence and a better chin, he would most definitely belong in the top ten.

Re: Floyd Patterson

Shane
You ain't lyin about that left hook.

Photobucket

Re: Floyd Patterson

 If Patterson had more self confidence and a better chin, he would most definitely belong in the top ten.
Damn right, my friend. He had a better chance of beating Sonny Liston than he gave himself. He was too afraid to throw anything. He's another heavyweight that never lived up to his full potential.

Re: Floyd Patterson

Everyone knew Patterson had no chance of beating Liston, and this included Cus D'Amato. He ordered Patterson to stay away from Liston. Even the NAACP didn't want Liston to receive a title shot.

The sad part is that Patterson let everyone else's opinion drain his confidence and, as a result, he was defeated long before the first fight with Liston took place. He gave Liston trouble at first by bobbing and weaving, but was too terrified to counter every time Liston missed a punch. You better believe that someone like Joe Frazier would have been countering with brutal hooks (and grunting upon impact).

I think Patterson's glass jaw would always lead to his downfall against Liston (or any big banger) but he could have surprised Liston or hurt him using his lightning quick hands and peek-a-boo defense.

Patterson had a big punch with either hand. I'll never forget when he stopped Charley Green with a devastating left hook to the body.

Patterson's trilogy of fights with Ingemar Johanson has been overlooked, in my opinion. All three fights were classics.

Re: Floyd Patterson

"Floyd Patterson was the most skilled heavyweight I ever fought."

-Muhammad Ali

Re: Floyd Patterson

Redemption wrote
You ain't lyin about that left hook.

Photobucket
Johanson's foot was twitching after that knockdown. That is one of the most pure left hooks I've ever seen. Patterson had the quickest hands of any heavyweight, and I'm including Muhammad Ali here. Watch Patterson's knockout over Henry Cooper. Quickest punch in the history of the sport.

Here is when Patterson lost the title to Johanson in 1959. Johanson dropped Patterson 7 times in the third round before the ref finally stopped the bout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wn0YclbKR0

Patterson seemed a bit tentative to me. He just couldn't figure out how to avoid Johanson's jab, and had trouble landing that dynamite left hook of his. But, after watching this, it's quite obvious that Patterson had a poor chin. This is only one of the reasons why Cus D'Amato kept him away from Sonny Liston for so long.

Re: Floyd Patterson

49-0
Floyd's terrible chin was one of the reasons why Rocky would have crushed him in the ring. I am a big Rocky Marciano fan but I'm not being biased here. Rocky would put Floyd on the floor with a single punch. There is a reason why Cus D'Amato forced Floyd to wait until Rocky retired to challenge for the throne. Floyd Patterson was a talented man, though. He's top 20 material at least.

Re: Floyd Patterson

Zorro
Cus D'Amato should have had more faith in his fighters. Floyd lacked self confidence which limited his success. As for his chin, I don't know. Lennox Lewis had a worst chin than Floyd but he had a great career because of his self confidence.

Re: Floyd Patterson

Yeah. Patterson called himself a coward in this quote.

Patterson said, "You must wonder what makes a man do things like this. Well, I wonder too. And the answer is, I don't know ... but I think that within me, within every human being, there is a certain weakness. It is a weakness that exposes itself more when you're alone. And I have figured out that part of the reason I do the things I do, and cannot seem to conquer that one word — myself — is because ... is because ... I am a coward."
http://network.yardbarker.com/boxing/article_external/floyd_patterson_was_a_coward_and_other_excerpts_from_one_of_the_best_collections_of_boxing_writing_in_a_long_time/5763703

Re: Floyd Patterson

Shane
Jesus Christ. Thats the reason Floyd never had the success he could have gotten. No confidence no glory.

Re: Floyd Patterson

Lennox Lewis had a worst chin than Floyd but he had a great career because of his self confidence.
Lennox Lewis didnt have a bad chin. He was only knocked out twice and the first time was a premature stoppage. Floyd was vulnerable to the heavy handed bangers.

I had the priveldge of meeting Mr. Patterson on several occasions. He was a shy reserved individual. He didn't speak much. He was more observant of people than anything else.

Re: Floyd Patterson

Yeah. Patterson called himself a coward in this quote.

Patterson said, "You must wonder what makes a man do things like this. Well, I wonder too. And the answer is, I don't know ... but I think that within me, within every human being, there is a certain weakness. It is a weakness that exposes itself more when you're alone. And I have figured out that part of the reason I do the things I do, and cannot seem to conquer that one word — myself — is because ... is because ... I am a coward."
http://network.yardbarker.com/boxing/article_external/floyd_patterson_was_a_coward_and_other_excerpts_from_one_of_the_best_collections_of_boxing_writing_in_a_long_time/5763703
Its like what Cus told Mike Tyson..Cowards and heros both have fear but its what the hero does and the coward doesn't do that marks the difference between the two. Floyd was a coward in his biggest fight against Sonny Liston. But who knows? Coward or not, Sonny would have killed him anyway.

Re: Floyd Patterson

Rosco
Zombies Ate Me wrote
Coward or not, Sonny would have killed him anyway.
I have to agree here. Floyd was a small man who had to get close and rely on his speed and timing to get his knockouts. Sonny was a big man with long arms that could outbox you from the distance or bully you inside with hooks and uppercuts. Floyd never has a chance.

Re: Floyd Patterson

Zorro
Floyd was the champion when I was a kid. I have early memories of his title reign because my dad was a huge fan of his. Floyd was such a likeable guy that you hated to see him lose.

When young Tyson burst on the scene I was reminded so much of Patterson. Same style, same speed, similar power. I know Tyson has said that Jack Dempsey was his hero and he loved his "viciousness" but without Floyd Patterson, there would be no Mike Tyson.

Re: Floyd Patterson

Agreed. Tyson's style was more influenced by Patterson than anyone else. He had the style of Patterson with the power of Sonny Liston. I've heard Cus say once before that Tyson was faster than Patterson. I'm not sure I agree with that one...I think he was just trying to market his fighter.

Re: Floyd Patterson

I had the priveldge of meeting Mr. Patterson on several occasions. He was a shy reserved individual. He didn't speak much. He was more observant of people than anything else.
Same here. I knew him well and unfortuneatly watched the alzheimers slowly take him down. It got to the point where I just had to let go. When he didn't even remember being heavyweight champion....words fail me. It was hard for all of us.

Floyd was a good fighter. He even beat tough guys like Oscar Bonavena, Henry Cooper and Charley Polite when he was well past his best. In his last fight with Muhammad Ali, he put on a decent showing for a man 37 years old

Re: Floyd Patterson

Hit Em' Hard

Re: Floyd Patterson

the boston strong boy
i met patterson once he was a real nice guy he won the title at a lucky time and lost to a bum named ingo but almost killed ingo in the rematch and kod him again in a third fight cus hand picked most of pattersons opponents patterson finally got tired of it and went behind cus"s back and signed to fight number 1 contender charles sonny liston he was kod in the first round twice by liston though patterson made a pretty good comeback and even should of been the first guy to win the title three times being robbed by jimmy ellis in their 1967 match by the judges patterson would of been better off staying as a light heavyweight ellis was also really a light heavyweight but considering the choice patterson made he had a good career as a heavyweight hes was well respected a true gentleman and did alot for the sport and his community ali even mentioned years later he felt sorry for the beating he gave patterson and the name calling aka the rabbit he said patterson was a very nice man and was a all time great

Re: Floyd Patterson

Re: Floyd Patterson

Floyd went into detail on his losses to Liston in this interview. He said he fought the wrong style, which I've always said was true (although he should have been more aggressive). He also talked about the disguises he wore following his losses as well. Jake Lamotta, Jose Torres and Rocky Graziano are interviewed here, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI6Y9hswgc
12