For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Joe Louis walks us through the Marciano fight

Duggerman wrote
 Scroll to the left at the bottom of the post to read each post in full.

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Joe Frazier talking us through the FOTC

Duggerman wrote
 You'll have to scroll to the left at the bottom of each post to read the full two pages each.

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Joe talking about the fight with Primo Carnera. (One of my favorites).

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Joe Frazier on destroying Bob Foster

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Joe Frazier on the first battle with Bonavena when he was nearly KO'd.

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Joe Louis on losing his skills against Ezzard Charles

Duggerman wrote
As promised, here is a scan of Louis' memories of the fight. It's funny to hear Joe refer to himself as a "shithead." Haha! Scroll to the left at the bottom of the post to read the scan in full.

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Joe Frazier on knocking out Jimmy Ellis. (I may need to re-upload these).

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Joe Louis on why he initially did not like Muhammad Ali

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Joe Frazier saying cruel, cruel things about Muhammad Ali.

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Will69
Thanks a lot AJ - I'll go through all these clips eventually... I now have a running wish list at amazon for all the boxing books I want.

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Will69
I just finished all those excerpts.   Joe Louis gave the most insight into being in the ring with his opponents.  I will go through a book binge with as many boxing books as I can get my hands on, in time .

I have to reiterate and say that it would be good to go back in time with many of big fighters, soon after each fight, and have them document what was going through their mind, round after round, with each big opponent.  It would be great to have recorded those memories while they were fresh.  Not decades later.

Re: For Will69 (Boxing Scans)

Will69 wrote
I just finished all those excerpts.   Joe Louis gave the most insight into being in the ring with his opponents.  I will go through a book binge with as many boxing books as I can get my hands on, in time .

I have to reiterate and say that it would be good to go back in time with many of big fighters, soon after each fight, and have them document what was going through their mind, round after round, with each big opponent.  It would be great to have recorded those memories while they were fresh.  Not decades later.
Yes! It's amazing how sharp Louis' mind was. He wrote this book only three years before his stroke and death. He had some dementia and suffered from mental illnesses, but you'd never be able to tell that from his recollections. He sounds really sharp. And he was really honest about his mistakes, even private ones like knocking out Lena Horne when he was dating her, among other womanizing, drug use, etc. He even had some mob ties, and the death of Sonny Liston really shook him up because he and Liston ran with the same people.

Personally, he was a lot like Tyson, Ali and Jack Johnson. He just hid it really well.