Frank Bruno versus Joe Frazier

Phantom Punch
Naturally Joe wins. But how does it go? I say Frazier wins by kayo around round 8 or 9, maybe sooner. Frank could crack. It wouldn't surprise me if Joe ends up on the canvas once or twice here. But once he starts smokin Frank has no chance.

Re: Frank Bruno versus Joe Frazier

Friday The 13th...
Phantom Punch wrote
 I say Frazier wins by kayo around round 8 or 9
I say he wins much sooner than that. Frank was awful chinny.

Re: Frank Bruno versus Joe Frazier

Frank had heart, especially in the fight with Lewis and the first fight with Tyson. (He didn't even try against Tyson in the rematch).

Frank had a brutal punch and would definitely clock Frazier good early on. I see this going kind of like Frazier-Quarry 1. Frank would look OK early on but Frazier eventually wears him down for the TKO in the middle rounds.

Re: Frank Bruno versus Joe Frazier

Hit Em' Hard
Kevin Rooney said something interesting once. In an interview he said that if Frank knew how to fight he would have finished Mike in their first fight when he wobbled him. I agree with that. Frank had no idea how to finish, which is really sad considering the hard punch he had. If that had been Joe Louis in there instead, Mike would have been laid out on his ass.

That same scenario goes for this fight. Does Frank have the punch to seriously hurt Smokin Joe? He does. Would he land something big? Most likely. But could he follow up and knock him out? There-in lies the problem, because I assure you he could not. Foreman was able to hit Joe with combs over and over until it forced a stoppage in two fights. Frank could not do that.

Joe ends this one with a left hook sometime after round 4 or 5 I reckon.

Re: Frank Bruno versus Joe Frazier

precious
Agree with all your comments. Over here in UK we were grasping at straws for a HW hopeful & Frank was really hyped up out of all proportion. I never bought it especially when his glass chin became apparent looking like like a rag doll when on the ropes against numerous opponents. Even his championship victory against a mentally flawed McCall  felt empty for me as he held on for dear life when McCall decided to fight.
Needless to say but Frank could not finish even if he landed a haymaker. unlike  Joe Louis or Frazier Tyson & numerous others.
Luc

Re: Frank Bruno versus Joe Frazier

Luc
Bruno was too wooden, both mentally and physically.

He looked like a bodybuilder and could hit static targets at amiable range extremely hard, but was not a born fighter.

Lewis took his time looking for an opening but could have taken a risk and finished him earlier if he'd wanted.

Frazier would be interesting because he's not very big and I get lingering feelings that Bruno could land a couple of George Foreman type shots on him - but I doubt it, and as soon as Frazier connects a big left (and as sure as night following day he would) then Bruno is in deep water.

As for Tyson, it's a mismatch. A bad one. Bruno never stood a chance. Even us Brits knew that. Soon as Bruno got clipped on the chin he was a zombie. Tyson damned nearly killed him. In Tyson's book he said he was never afraid of Bruno's power punch because he just couldn't land it on him.