Frank Dux

Anyone else a fan of the movie Jean Claude Van Damme movie, BloodSport? It's based on the life of Frank Dux, the first American to win the Kumite. His records include:

Fastest Knockout - 3.2 seconds
Fastest Punch with a Knockout - .12 seconds
Fastest Kick with a Knockout - 72 mph
Most Consecutive Knockouts in a Single Tournament - 56

Dux retired undefeated as the Kumite Champion.

Here is the trailer for the movie. It's a classic. Bolo Yeung played the villian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CLz2Hh9uqM

Here is a documentary about the real Frank Dux, who rarely appears in the public eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_T0VcRBK58

Re: Frank Dux

Urban Legend
Hell yea dude!  Blood Sport was the shit. I'm a big fan of Paco too. He was the Muay Thai dude that fought Dux.

Bolo Yeung and Jean Claude still hang out. Bolo is in great shape for a man his age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxPDbBv5PGA

Re: Frank Dux

This blog differentiates fact vs. fiction.

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/bloodsport.php

I used to watch this all the time. Can you believe Bolo was 50 years old? Looking at him then you'd think he was in his 30s at least. He surely plays a good bad guy. The climactic fight scene between he and Dux was good but Dux handled him a little too easy in my opinion. But thats my only gripe with the film and its a minor one. Too bad Bolo didn't get to square off with the other bad guys in the movie like Paulo Tocha and the sumo wrestler.

Re: Frank Dux

49-0
Great thread AJ.  I agree with Zorro's assessment. Chong Li was a little too weak. Ray Jackson pounded the shit out of him and would have KO'd him if not for his showboating. He had him beat.

Chong Li was beating up on novice fighters that had no chance but Dux was beating guys of varying styles like the aforementioned sumo and Paulo Tocha.

Re: Frank Dux

GatorPurify
Cool. I'm gonna check out this documentary when I get time. Bolo was a beast. That dude was always muscled up and swoll. We all remember "Enter The Dragon", he was 27 here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7E6TGeEjoU

Re: Frank Dux

49-0 wrote
Great thread AJ.  I agree with Zorro's assessment. Chong Li was a little too weak. Ray Jackson pounded the shit out of him and would have KO'd him if not for his showboating. He had him beat.

Chong Li was beating up on novice fighters that had no chance but Dux was beating guys of varying styles like the aforementioned sumo and Paulo Tocha.
Well said. You learn right off that he knew in his heart that Dux was better. He was always rooting against Dux, smiling when he was hurt or behind, but shocked and disappointed whenever he won. And, like Sonny Liston, he came prepared and ready to cheat. He knew Dux would get the better of him. I think breaking that guy's neck was a scare tactic to intimidate Dux but that didn't work either.

Have you guys seen the sequel? It's pretty good. Dux's friend Ray Jackson was in this one as well, and there was a female competitor in the Kumite. My main issue with this one is that the fight scenes were so obviously choreographed. I know they were choreographed in the first one, but in this movie everything looks rehearsed. And overall, a lot of the competitors lack the charisma and originality of the fighters from the first movie. Nothing tops the original but this movie wasn't bad. It's a decent sequel, but Ray Jackson is the only link to the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOEmh8L1CSs

Re: Frank Dux

And overall, a lot of the competitors lack the charisma and originality of the fighters from the first movie. Nothing tops the original but this movie wasn't bad. It's a decent sequel, but Ray Jackson is the only link to the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOEmh8L1CSs
They do lack charisma, like the guy that replaced Bolo. I didn't care for him. He wasn't really believable as a threat. The first movie set the bar impossibly high tho. I didn't like how the villian guy snapped someone's neck in his next to last fight just like Bolo did. They borrowed too many things from the first film.

Re: Frank Dux

Wasn't my time, but I still enjoyed it as a kid when it came on TV in the 1990ies.
I bet it was the shit when it came out, it made a lot of people get into combat sports just like Karate Kid and No retreat, no surrender.

Re: Frank Dux

Double A
My brother and my ex-boyfriend used to drive me crazy watching this movie! At first I hated it because of the brutal parts like when the ugly bad guy (Chong Li I think someone said his name was) broke that guy's kneecap. That was so f**king gross!! I still have to turn away. But the movie charmed me over and I like it now. I never get tired of it and the final showdown with Dux and Chong Li was a terrific fight.

Re: Frank Dux

Rosco
Double-A wrote
My brother and my ex-boyfriend used to drive me crazy watching this movie! At first I hated it because of the brutal parts like when the ugly bad guy (Chong Li I think someone said his name was) broke that guy's kneecap. That was so f**king gross!! I still have to turn away. But the movie charmed me over and I like it now. I never get tired of it and the final showdown with Dux and Chong Li was a terrific fight.
Hey cutie :)

Duggerman wrote
And, like Sonny Liston, he came prepared and ready to cheat.
What do you mean by that?

Re: Frank Dux

Rosco wrote

Duggerman wrote
And, like Sonny Liston, he came prepared and ready to cheat.
What do you mean by that?
In Sonny's three toughest fights (Cleveland Williams, Eddie Machen and Cassius Clay) all three of them were "mysteriously" blinded when they had the upper hand. It's no coincidence. And Chong Li, much like Liston, brought the blinding ailment just in case there was trouble.

The difference is that Liston and his handlers kept that stuff in his corner because they couldn't predict who would give him hell. Chong Li only brought the "blind dust" on one occasion and that was against Dux, whom he knew would likely beat him. So he came prepared.

Chong Li was good and I can see why he was the undefeated Kumite Champion, but like Dux told Jackson, "Chong Li is weak in the gut," and "Stay away from his right leg." The guy had weaknesses that could be exploited which made things more realistic in my eyes.

Re: Frank Dux

Double A
Rosco wrote

Hey cutie :)
Hi Rosco! How are you?

Re: Frank Dux

GatorPurify wrote
Cool. I'm gonna check out this documentary when I get time. Bolo was a beast. That dude was always muscled up and swoll. We all remember "Enter The Dragon", he was 27 here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7E6TGeEjoU
One of the best for sure. One can't help but notice the dark tan he had in Bloodsport.

Re: Frank Dux

Sivul
If only Frank could have fought Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan and some of the other greats. So many great fights that never happened.

Re: Frank Dux

This blog differentiates fact vs. fiction.

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/bloodsport.php
Cool info. I figured that the romance with the reporter was fictionalized. Not too many fighters are sexually active while training. Frank even admitted in this blog that he wouldn't be.

Re: Frank Dux

"Hurts me looking at it."

Re: Frank Dux

Zorro
AJ do a blog about this movie. I enjoy your music and music reviews man. I'm curious to see what funny things you'll point out about bloodsport.

Re: Frank Dux

AJ do a blog about this movie. I enjoy your music and music reviews man. I'm curious to see what funny things you'll point out about bloodsport.
You got it. When I get time, it'll be coming your way.

Re: Frank Dux

Phantom Punch

What was up with Chong Li blowing snot before each of his fights? Such a nasty Kumite Champion.
Here's a funny review of the movie. Still waiting on yours, AJ.

http://fogsmoviereviews.com/2012/05/16/cheese-tastic-classics-bloodsport/

Re: Frank Dux

Left Hook From Hell...
I've never seen this in its entirety. I always ran across it on TV towards the end. I should check it out.
12