Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Evolution
A good read breaking down their styles and possible outcomes.

http://www.thesweetscience.com/article-archive/2005/1852-what-if-frazier-vs-holyfield.html
Winner?

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Yeah. This is one of the all-time great fantasy fights I'd like to see. I pick Joe by late TKO but Holyfield would make a great fight of it. There would be dynamite exchanges.

The author proved a great point I hadn't thought about. The closest fighter to Evander Holyfield that Frazier fought was Jerry Quarry, a natural counter-puncher who didn't mind brawling when he felt like it. Holyfield and Quarry were similar in some ways but Holyfield was better, I feel. I can't imagine Quarry defeating Bowe, Foreman, Mercer, Tyson or the some of the others Holyfield beat. However, I imagine Holyfield would eventually wilt to Frazier just as Quarry did.

Frazier threw a lot of punches and would not let Holyfield bully him the way Tyson did. It would be a great fight.

@Entaowed. I hear where you're coming from. I think legacy-wise, Holyfield should rank higher than Tyson although I feel that Tyson would crush him at their peaks. Foreman beat the crap out of Frazier on two occasions but based on legacy and accomplishments alone, I think Frazier should rank ahead of Foreman. I have a thread on this somewhere, on ranking individuals higher than the guys who beat them.

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Zorro
"The difference would ultimately come down to Holyfield's heart being too big and his punch not being quite big enough."

That sums it up perfectly. If Holyfield had a punch like Foreman then he could win. But as courageous as he was, Joe would gun him down anyway.

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Due to their style, both men would take a tremendous amount of punishment.
I think Joe's left hook would bother Evander a lot. Foreman said that Evander hit him with the hardest left hook he ever felt, but Joe was married to his left hook. He used it for defense and offense. What the jab or rear hand is to others, that's the left hook for Joe.

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Moejoe wrote
Foreman said that Evander hit him with the hardest left hook he ever felt
Interesting. When did he say that? In this clip he praised Gerry Cooney among the hardest hitters he faced. But then again, this is before he fought Holyfield.

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Also, while Holyfield had a solid chin, he was weak in the body. He couldn't take body punches too well. It's amazing that most of his opponents never noticed this. Body punching was Frazier's specialty. This is one more reason why I pick Frazier to eventually stop him.

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

J.C.
I say Holyfield wins because he beat many guys with that compact swarming style. With Frazier being a slow starter Holyfield could knock him out early before he starts smokin. I think there are some guys who can always beat swarmers and Holyfield is one of them.

The article ommited mentioning Ray Mercer when they named Frazier-type opponents that Holyfield fought. Ray wasn't as good as Frazier but had the same power and the same energizer bunny attack although he wasn't near as good as it as Frazier was.

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

A good read breaking down their styles and possible outcomes.

http://www.thesweetscience.com/article-archive/2005/1852-what-if-frazier-vs-holyfield.html
I think it's worth noting that Evander borrowed his brutal double left hook from Joe Frazier.

Photobucket

Evolution you never voiced your opinion. You said that Evander would always beat Mike Tyson. Do you think he beats Dempsey, Marciano and Frazier for the same reasons? You sparred with him so I wanna hear your thoughts.

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Evolution
Evan Fields wrote
Photobucket

Evolution you never voiced your opinion. You said that Evander would always beat Mike Tyson. Do you think he beats Dempsey, Marciano and Frazier for the same reasons? You sparred with him so I wanna hear your thoughts.
That is a good question. I'll break it down as best I can before heading off to bed.

Versus Dempsey - Evander outboxes him and stops him late, although Dempsey would have his moments. He was just too predictable and crude for Evander. Sorry, Dempsey fans.

Versus Marciano - A virtual repeat of the Ezzard Charles battles, really. I pick Evander because if he's "on" he could really offset Marciano all night and make him uncomfortable. But all Marciano needs is one punch and the tide could turn instantly. I could see him hurting Evander and then Evander attempting to get even which gets him hurt bad by The Rock and knocked out. Both of these guys are fearless warriors. I could see either guy winning it but on his best night I pick Evander, especially with his counter-punching. Rocky always has the puncher's chance, especially if Evander decides to abandon strategy for duking it out.

Versus Frazier - I agree with the article. Joe would be too relentless and eats Evander up. Whether Evander tries to box Joe or trade with him, he's not coming out alive. Evander hates body blows too, and that was Joe's specialty, along with his devastating left hook.

So to sum it up for you, yes. Evander beats all of these guys if he's of sound body and mind. Only RM may be a threat if Evander isn't careful.

Great breakdown.  How do you think you'd do against those greats? Aren't you around Evander's size?

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

Evolution
Evan Fields wrote
Great breakdown.  How do you think you'd do against those greats? Aren't you around Evander's size?
I wasn't very good. My career sputtered fast! But I have a lot of good memories. I sparred with a lot of legends and Evander was tough enough to beat anybody. He worked hard and was smart in there. He knocked me down with a vicious folley of punches the first round I sparred with him. Great legend.

But I am being honest. I don't see myself beating any heavyweight legend. I was good at helping these guys train and adapt for certain situations but I didn't do well when I actually fought professional fights. Big difference between the gym and fight night, although gym wars are sometimes the best fights and I was in a few good scraps myself.

Re: Frazier v. Holyfield (Article)

I wasn't very good. My career sputtered fast! But I have a lot of good memories. I sparred with a lot of legends and Evander was tough enough to beat anybody. He worked hard and was smart in there. He knocked me down with a vicious folley of punches the first round I sparred with him. Great legend.

But I am being honest. I don't see myself beating any heavyweight legend. I was good at helping these guys train and adapt for certain situations but I didn't do well when I actually fought professional fights. Big difference between the gym and fight night, although gym wars are sometimes the best fights and I was in a few good scraps myself.
I'll ask you about the gym wars in another thread. Thanks for the info.