Freelance

Freelance is real work and gives you the opportunity to add clips to your resume or portfolio. Freelance pay could be big or small depending on where you write. If you get enough jobs, you could make your living off freelancing. Just be aware that sometimes your pay date can be unpredictable depending on where you write. But freelancers (or stringers, as we're called in the industry) are a necessity.

Re: Freelance

Becky
Freelancing is how I got my start.

Re: Freelance

Jessica
I previously knew nothing about freelance. You can be a freelance photographer too, no?

Re: Freelance

Shane
Yes you can, as far as a I know. In fact, Peter Parker from Spiderman was a freelance photographer I believe.

Re: Freelance

~Sasha
I might need to get involved with freelancing. U get to work from home, correct?

Re: Freelance

~Sasha wrote
I might need to get involved with freelancing. U get to work from home, correct?
Absolutely. I rarely have to go out and interview my sources in person. I conduct most of my interviews over the phone and occasionally through email, but I do meet my sources face to face sometimes. I work from home; always on the computer typing away. I stay home and keep the house cleaned and take care of our animals, and I'll be a stay-at-home dad when we have kids.

Re: Freelance

Katie G.
I want to make some extra cash and I think freelancing might be a good way to do it. Any suggestions? How do you start?

Re: Freelance

Katie G. wrote
I want to make some extra cash and I think freelancing might be a good way to do it. Any suggestions? How do you start?
I posted a journalism video a while ago. I think it's in one of these threads. But anyway, I talked about how to freelance. Just look around and see if anyone needs help. A journalism degree would help a lot, though. But you could get lucky and find someplace that doesn't require one.

Re: Freelance

Katie G.
I saw that video and I loved it. How would I go about getting an opportunity? Do I visit newspapers or magazines and say I want to write?

Re: Freelance

Katie G.
ANSWER ME SOMEBODY!!!

Re: Freelance

Redemption wrote
Yes you can, as far as a I know. In fact, Peter Parker from Spiderman was a freelance photographer I believe.
Shit, he was, wasn't he?

Re: Freelance

Bert Sugar
Katie G. wrote
I saw that video and I loved it. How would I go about getting an opportunity? Do I visit newspapers or magazines and say I want to write?
Do you have any clips at all? If you do, email them to the publisher.

Re: Freelance

Katie G.
Thank you Bert. I'm still thinking it over. I could use some extra money and I'm a decent writer.

Re: Freelance

Katie G. wrote
Thank you Bert. I'm still thinking it over. I could use some extra money and I'm a decent writer.
Sorry I haven't been around much, Kate. You wouldn't believe how busy I've been!

I believe that you're a decent writer, but there are two things to keep in mind when pursuing news work.

1) You might wanna get your start on a news blog or maybe an online magazine. Most industry level newspapers and magazines require a degree and a solid resume. There are minor news blogs/features publications online that are always on the lookout for contributors but the pay may be small or none at all.

2) If you want to write news articles, familiarize yourself with AP Style. That's what newspapers have been using since the 1950s. Sports and opinions are the only sections that don't use it.

You may have to do a few articles for free when you start out. Get a few clips together and add them to your resume, then send them out to potential employers.

Re: Freelance

I've been freelancing for the Murfreesboro Post since December and I'm just now meeting the staff! My wife and I were in Murfreesboro the other day so I finally got the chance to pop up and familiarize myself with them. It's nice to finally put a face to the people I email all the time.

A lot of freelancers are hired sight unseen so always make sure you put your best work out there.

Re: Freelance

I can't believe I never posted this here. This is a blog I wrote two years ago weighing the pros and cons of freelancing.

http://www.ajdugger.com/1/post/2011/06/freelance-work-pros-and-cons.html

Re: Freelance

Katie G. wrote
Thank you Bert. I'm still thinking it over. I could use some extra money and I'm a decent writer.
Same here. I'm learning a lot about boxing. Maybe I could write for a boxing magazine or something?
AJ what do you think of sites like demandstudios.com? Or examiner? Are they worth it? Hows the $??

Re: Freelance

Same here. I'm learning a lot about boxing. Maybe I could write for a boxing magazine or something?
AJ what do you think of sites like demandstudios.com? Or examiner? Are they worth it? Hows the $??
It's tough man. The publishing business is cutting back a lot. There's not a lot of money in it anymore.

Demandstudios don't pay much. $15 is the highest they'll pay you per article.

I write for Examiner but haven't gotten a single paycheck yet. I wrote for them two years ago. A rip-off. Stay away from Examiner and Demand Studios, especially if you're in it for the money.

I write for Examiner but haven't gotten a single paycheck yet. I wrote for them two years ago. A rip-off. Stay away from Examiner and Demand Studios, especially if you're in it for the money.
That sucks man. Thanx for the tip..

Re: Freelance

Phantom Punch
I don't like what I'm hearing. What about interning? Is that a good way to get a job? I hope I'm not working my a$$ off in school right now only to freelance for a career.
12