George Foreman was a great fighter but...

George Foreman was a great fighter but...

Shogun of Harlem
he sucked as a heavyweight champion. He only had one succesul defense during his first reign.  He was only champion for less than a year.  When he beat Michael Moorer he was stripped of the belt soon after. He was an ATG puncher but not a good champion.

Re: George Foreman was a great fighter but...

I can see why you said that. George performed better overall when he wasn’t the champion.

In his comeback he avoided guys that would make him look bad, preferring to fight guys who would stand right in front of him. I remember shortly after winning the titles he was stripped of them for refusing to defend one of them against Tony Tucker and I forgot the other opponent.

But to be fair, if Ali hadn’t been around in the ‘70s there’d be no around to beat him with the possible exception being Larry Holmes. George would have possibly been undefeated until the end of the decade.

Re: George Foreman was a great fighter but...

It's Dale
Yes. He just had the misfortune of fighting in the same era as Muhammad Ali. In the '90s they were right to strip him of his titles. You can't just pick and choose easy opponents for yourself. If you're the freaking heavyweight champion of the whole world, it means you're the best in the world. You have to continue to prove that and be honored to have that honor.

I understand taking joke fights when you're climbing the ranks, going from club fighter to journey man. And maybe an easy fight or two when you're about to hit the contender level. But as the heavyweight champion?  Every champ is entitled to an easy defense here and there but you can't go out of your way to pick guys who will stand in front of you all night for an easy knockout. Not for every defense you make, and then refuse to fight the mandatory guys. You can't not fight them because you know they'll make you look bad or beat you. I don't respect George for his decisions there.