Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

1234 ... 7

Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Let's talk about the Brown Bomber.

It goes without saying that Joe Louis was one of the best boxers ever. Most historians have The Brown Bomber or Muhammad Ali ranked #1 or #2 on their all time lists. I think Joe Louis was a special fighter because...

1) He knew the basics of boxing and exceeded every fundamental. He threw every punch perfectly; perfect jab, perfect hook, perfect balance, etc. From a technical standpoint, he had everything.

2) Joe had scary accuracy and perfect timing...every punch landed right on the button. He rarely missed a punch.

3) Joe had lightning quick hands, particularly if he was a foot and a half away from you. In tight spots, you couldn't escape his blows.

4) Joe knew how to adapt to any style. He could outbox you. Or he could brawl with you. He could also step back and fight as a counter-puncher. If you tried to crowd him, he responded with tight hooks and uppercuts on the inside. (Watch his fights with Tony Galento and his rematch with Arturo Gudoy).

5) Joe Louis was one of the best body punchers of all time. He broke Max Schmeling's spine with a single punch.

6) Joe threw pulverizing combinations to the head and body with alarming speed and accuracy, much like Floyd Patterson and Mike Tyson in the coming years.

7) Joe Louis could knock you out at any moment with either hand. He even maintained his power in the late rounds.

8) Joe Louis had a good chin. He was dropped 11 times during his career, but he normally got up to knock his opponent out.

9) Like Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis adapted gracefully to his declining skills as he aged. In 1948, he found a way to knock out the much faster Jersey Joe Walcott. In 1950, he went toe to toe with the younger Ezzard Charles and even shut his eye. Louis had a long sting of victories in exhibitions until he was knocked out by Rocky Marciano in 1951.

10) Also like Ali, Louis conquered a diverse array of opponents with differing styles. He destroyed the big giants like Primo Carnera and Buddy Baer, he knocked out big punchers like Max Baer and Tony Galento, he conquered the "stick and move" fighters like Billy Conn, Bob Foster and Walcott, and he defeated the master boxers like Tommy Farr.

11) At the end of his reign, Joe Louis defended the heavyweight championship 25 times and held on to the belt for almost 12 years before retiring the first time.

All of my grandparents tell me that Joe Louis was the best ever. I grew up with Mike Tyson, and although I think Tyson would have knocked out Louis, I can't help but be impressed with Louis' accomplishments and longevity. Thoughts?

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

GatorPurify
Much Respect to Joe Louis. Doing what he did in the time he did it was remarkable. He had so many weapons to take his opponents out, he was a handful to fight.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Shane
I too agree that Joe Louis was one of the best ever. As for him beating Mike Tyson, I'm not sure. Mike Tyson was a monster head to head but he didn't do well against technicians who can box and brawl like Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis. Joe Louis was better than both of them.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Urban Legend
I imagine Zorro is going to have a lot of say about Joe Louis when he spots this thread.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Redemption wrote
I too agree that Joe Louis was one of the best ever. As for him beating Mike Tyson, I'm not sure. Mike Tyson was a monster head to head but he didn't do well against technicians who can box and brawl like Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis. Joe Louis was better than both of them.
Yeah, but let's not turn this into a Louis V. Tyson thread. We already have one. Let's use this thread to discuss Louis' accomplishments, fighting style, fights, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Evolution
I'll never forget Eddie Futch telling me that he used to give Joe Louis fits by always moving. He said that Joe Louis would never chase you and only punched when you were a certain distance from him. (He didn't like to waste a blow). Eddie said that he constantly moved and never gave Joe a chance to plant himself or set up an attack. He was the only one of Joe's sparring partners to never get knocked out. Joe rarely even hit Eddie. (This was long before Eddie became a trainer. This was before he was a boxer, even.)

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Joe Louis was the first man to knock down Tony Galento, and the only man to knock him out.

Joe Louis knocked out Primo Carnera with one right hand to the jaw.

Joe Louis was the first man to KO Max Baer.

This was an amazing man. An all-time great for sure.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Urban Legend wrote
I imagine Zorro is going to have a lot of say about Joe Louis when he spots this thread.
Actually there isn't much I can add that hasn't already been said. Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali are at the top of my heavyweight list.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Zorro
He was so accurate and fast with his punches.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

^^These are nice. Joe Louis packed dynamite in both hands. He was almost as fast as Tyson. I'm going to upload these gifs to the Sweet Knockouts thread if you don't mind.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Evolution
I met Joe Louis when I was much younger. It was at one of Larry Holmes' fights. He was really sick towards the end. My dad said "How you doing champ?" and Joe looked at both of us with this blank stare. I thought he was being rude but my father told me that he had a stroke which was why he was in the wheelchair and wasn't acting like the warm Joe Louis the world once knew. He died a few months after that.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Yeah. Joe wasn't himself during his later years. He died in his 60s but he looked 90. I think that racism wore him down early on. When the racism died down, the government broke him down by stressing him out over those back taxes. Louis temporarily went insane, and it didn't help that he got hooked on drugs later in life. We desperately need a Joe Louis in boxing right now. He was one of the best. You have to have him in your top 3 at the very least. He and Tyson were the only fighters blessed with speed and power. You're normally only gifted with one or the other.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

I met Joe Louis when I was much younger. It was at one of Larry Holmes' fights. He was really sick towards the end. My dad said "How you doing champ?" and Joe looked at both of us with this blank stare. I thought he was being rude but my father told me that he had a stroke which was why he was in the wheelchair and wasn't acting like the warm Joe Louis the world once knew. He died a few months after that.
That is a sad story. Joe Louis was basically forgotten by the 1960s. I think Joe outlived his time to be honest. There was Muhammad Ali and millions of other black men fighting for civil rights and equal opportunity and Joe was nowhere to be found. The few public appearances he made were not impressive. His voice was deep and groggy and he always seemed out of it. It was a sad end for a great individual. My dad was a huge Joe Louis fan. I grew up with Ali and Frazier but as I got older I realized how great Joe Louis really was.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Zombies Ate Me
How did Joe go from getting his ass kicked by Max Schmeling the first time to KO'ing him in the 1st round in the rematch? What did Joe do wrong in the first fight and what did he change in the second one?

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

BAD INTENTIONS
Zombies Ate Me wrote
How did Joe go from getting his ass kicked by Max Schmeling the first time to KO'ing him in the 1st round in the rematch? What did Joe do wrong in the first fight and what did he change in the second one?
I think Joe trained harder for the second fight. He had a habit of holding his left hand low in the first fight and Schmeling (a counterpuncher) kept shooting his right hand over it. Schmeling had a hell of a right hand too.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Bert Sugar
Joe Louis did not train well for that first Schmeling fight. He took up golf, which is the worst game for a boxer to play because you hold your hands low. There were rumors going around that he was running around with women (not his wife, thank you). Joe did not see Schmeling as a threat with a capital T. He was supposedly a washed up ex-champion.

Max told the press "I see'd something" when he watched Louis spar. What he saw was that Joe Louis dropped his left hand after throwing the jab. Everytime Joe dropped his left, Max would land that right hand.

In the rematch, Jack Blackburn saw that Schmeling can't move backward--only forward. So he told Joe Louis to go out there and keep him..take the fight to Max and force him backward. Joe Louis broke one of Max's ribs and people said he gave out a piercing scream that sounded like a woman.

The rematch was the fight of the century, so much so that President Roosevelt met with Joe at the white house and said "We need these muscles for democracy Joe."

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Well said, Bert. Joe Louis sometimes carried his opponents a few rounds before slaughtering them. The public was still easing into the idea of having a black man as champion, so Chappy told Joe not to embarrass these white men by stopping them early. Joe said in his book that he could have KO'd Jimmy Braddock, Tony Galento, and many of his other opponents early on but held out.

He was carrying Schmeling, who took advantage of Louis' lazy left. Louis said that he thought he swallowed his mouthpiece after the first right hand from Schmeling. By carrying the fight, Louis allowed Schmeling to take advantage of his flawed style.

In the rematch, Louis did what he should have done in the first fight and could have done to any of his opponents--came out with mean intentions, held nothing back and destroyed him early.

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Evolution
Max Schmeling was like a fish out of water when you forced him on the backfoot. Jack Dempsey would have knocked him out for that very reason.

found this on eastside

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Bert Sugar wrote
[...]

You'll never know how much I'm going to miss you Bert. RIP

Re: Get In Here If You Like Joe Louis

Rosco
I was watching his first fight with Billy Conn just yesterday. Billy had the title won. Stupidity cost him the heavyweight championship of the world. smh.
1234 ... 7