Getting hit feels like.....

Archie Moore says that getting hit by Rocky Marciano feels like someone was slaughtering you with a bag full of rocks.

Jimmy Braddock said that Joe Louis’ jab felt like someone smashing a light bulb in your face over and over again,

Ron Lyle said he doesn’t remember the punch Earnie Shavers hit him with; just that all of a sudden the floor raised up to him.

Marvis Frazier told me that he doesn’t remember the Tyson knockout. He said the crowd was loud, and then all of a sudden there was “peace, quiet and nothingness.” He never felt that uppercut. He also told me that his dad told him that getting hit by George Foreman is like “getting hit by God.”

When asked about Marciano, Muhammad Ali said “Man, he hit hard! My arms are sore from just joking with him. He was better than Joe Frazier, and you know what Joe Frazier did to me.”

Holyfield said that with one punch, he thought Foreman knocked all his teeth out.

Two men who tried to rob an old Jack Dempsey said it felt like he had rocks in his fists.

***********************************

Any other quotes on guys comparing an opponents’ power to something else?

Re: Getting hit feels like.....

Left Hook From Hell...
Sometimes pictures tell the story even better.

Tua and Tyson after getting beat by Lewis

Arturo Godoy after the loss to Joe Louis

It says a lot that 37 year-old Joe Louis did this to Ezzard Charles.

Jess Willard during his clash with Dempsey

Re: Getting hit feels like.....

Urban Legend
As a testament to Joe Frazier's vaunted power, Muhammad Ali said that regarding the knockdown in 1971, he doesn't remember the punch at all.. just hitting the floor.

That does make me wonder though -- in most knockouts is it generally the punch that does it, or have their been knockouts where the impact of crashing to the floor rendered the victim unconscious?

Re: Getting hit feels like.....

Evolution
If I could chime in...

Holyfield turned my head into a bobble head doll and put my ass on the floor with the first few punches he hit me with. He's a harder hitter than given credit for and put punches together nicely.

Wladimir knocked me OUT once. That was easily the hardest I was ever hit. We were sparring but man he really cowed me.

Foreman and Tua could really hurt you when they laid into you. Foreman used to send me staggering back. Dave's power was similar and he used to give me headaches.